Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-11-2011, 09:03 AM   #81
SugarBooger
Registered Users
Formerly: hooah_momma
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: The No Stink, No Complications Laundry Solution!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandhillcranes View Post
When I started using cloth I tried EVERYTHING and finally discovered something:

I ALREADY KNOW HOW TO DO LAUNDRY!

Advertisement

SugarBooger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:05 AM   #82
SugarBooger
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebandive View Post
OK OK OK... you all have convinced me to switch from RnG to a regular detergent- I'm starting to have ammonia issues. Do I need to strip my diapers before doing this or can I just make the switch? I have a pretty big stash so stripping could take quite some time.
I would just try a regular detergent first (and plenty of it). If you find you're still having problems, then you might need to look into stripping. But don't waste your energy if you don't have to, KWIM?
Old 06-11-2011, 09:06 AM   #83
SugarBooger
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6lilpiggies View Post
i wanted to add and i didnt read responces but with hard water esecialy very hard water you can do normal amount of detergent but use a water softner llike calgon!!! i haven't had problems sinc and i was almost doubling the soap to get it to work

so in the long run it's easier and cheaper to use the calgon it should be manditory hahaha
I've never tried calgon for my very hard water, but you're right! And I probably should. I've heard it works for a lot of people. Thanks for reminding me!
Old 06-11-2011, 09:06 AM   #84
ebandive
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjslater1 View Post
when I had amonia I just washed with Tide and it was gone, I didn't have to strip.
thanks!

Come SWAG with me! I'm earning $25 a month in amazon gift cards by searching and taking surveys!
ebandive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:21 AM   #85
5lilmnkys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Love this post! I am a newbie, haven't even started yet since LO isn't here....but I have done soooo much research during my pregnancy, and the wash routine is the most confusing part! Our major reason for choosing to CD is to save $$$$....hard to do that when some spend more on detergent than I spent on my dipes (I bought my ENTIRE stash-except my PFs, with shipping costs for already prepped it was cheaper to buy new-off of FSOT). Doesn't make much sense to me. I bought a box of Tide, and I'm ready to go. I'll hang dry in the summer to keep energy costs down, but come winter I'm not afraid to dry in the dryer. I have bleach if I need it. Bring it on.
I married Jon, my 2nd chance at true love, on 11-26-10, and am mama to 6 lil monkeys...4 by birth, 2 by marriage. Bryant Stone 13, Landon Nicholas 10, Paige Erica Nicole 8, Jorja Juness 5, Jillian Bella 3....and the baby boy that links us all together, Rowan Henry, born 6/30/11!
5lilmnkys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:25 AM   #86
crunchymomof3
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2boys0608
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndeeL View Post
So how much RnG should I use on my flats? I'm starting cd'ing this weekend. I quit last time bc doing laundry was awful with all the do nots.
at least 2 TBS , 3 if they are super stinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alioop View Post
Anyone who has searched on diaper laundry issues will come across my monster thread....so you should know I am totally behind the "do whatever works" idea here.

However...I just want to add that the straight tide + bleach does not work for everyone. I think bleach is nifty, but it will weaken the fibers in your natural fabrics. If you add vinegar to the rinse cycle, it will help to neutralize the effects of that.

And, I am an advocate of Country Save detergent, if you can get it locally. It is cheap, and is a very simple detergent. No dyes, no whiteners, no fragrances that can be annoying or build up. The dyes/whiteners do build up, they are meant to. Whether that will cause you any problems or not seems to have more to do with your water conditions than anything else.

And.....Oxyclean (or a generic) in every load is a great idea.

Washing soda is a great additive for those with hard water.

And, my final thought issss.......do what works for you. I dont think you need to spend alot of money on WAHM detergent, unless you like the awesome fragrances. If you do buy a WAHM detergent, make sure it has a surfactant in it, or it is just washing soda and oxy clean...which is just not enough. BUT, if Tide doesnt work for you, try something else.
i totally agree on the CS etc
crunchymomof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:56 AM   #87
Lamplighter
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5lilmnkys View Post
Love this post! I am a newbie, haven't even started yet since LO isn't here....but I have done soooo much research during my pregnancy, and the wash routine is the most confusing part! Our major reason for choosing to CD is to save $$$$....hard to do that when some spend more on detergent than I spent on my dipes (I bought my ENTIRE stash-except my PFs, with shipping costs for already prepped it was cheaper to buy new-off of FSOT). Doesn't make much sense to me. I bought a box of Tide, and I'm ready to go. I'll hang dry in the summer to keep energy costs down, but come winter I'm not afraid to dry in the dryer. I have bleach if I need it. Bring it on.
You'll do a great job!

When I first started cloth with my then 11-month old, the laundry routine was so overwhelming! Then I read some info on facebook similar to the OP and I chilled out. It's just laundry, right?
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 10:06 AM   #88
Aidensmommalove
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Wub
Old 06-11-2011, 10:11 AM   #89
manystraits
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooah_momma View Post
There's just too much confusing conflicting information out there and I've read too many posts in which newbies are saying they're giving up CDing due to stink issues or not being able to afford special detergent or being frustrated with how complicated washing CDs is.
This was an excellent post and very timely for me!! I've been using CD for almost 6 wks with my newbie and have started having issues with redness and chapping. We switched to disposables temporarily to clear up her bottom. (side note: why do diapers made of paper and full of chemicals clear up rashes created by cotton diapers??? can't wrap my brain around this!) I have read and read and read on how to deal with the redness and chapping. It is overwhelming to consider all the options (hard or soft water, top-load or HE washer, city water or well water, etc.). I was just about ready to sell all my CDs and go back to disposables (like I used with my other kiddos) but then read your post. I am now encouraged to give it another try!! THANKS!!!!

Delight yourself in the LORD and He will give you the desires of your heart. Prov 37:4
manystraits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 11:13 AM   #90
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Love this thread!!