Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-10-2011, 01:09 PM   #1
aumismommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Exclamation HELP! Welt on eyelid - 11mo

This has happened once before maybe a week ago when my mom was with DS and she said the only thing "new" they did was playing at the window looking through the screen so maybe pollen or something through that? Today we were outside walking around watching birds and squirrels for awhile - he touched the wind chime a few times, then I had to get some stuff out of the car so he played in the car a bit with me. Then back inside I noticed a little red mark on his upper lid (the outside, not the inside like a stye) and then a little tiny white bump in the middle...which grew over the course of 30 minutes to be dime sized. It looks like a hive or mosquito bite. He seems fine otherwise. Any body else have this happen?

A few months ago we were at a nursery (plants not babies ) and by the time we got home he had hives all over his body as in diaper area, first which spread to tummy, to neck, to eyes. We have him anti-histamines (homeopathic histaminum) and it went away by the time he woke up from his nap. Not sure if it was being at the nursery OR he took a bite of a gluten free fig newton type thing I was eating (I didn't "let" him take a bit, he took the bite and I could not get it out of his mouth before he swallowed it, at that point he had had very little solids). So not sure if it was a food allergy.

Anyway, I gave him the same homeopathics just now and he is napping. Obviously I am checking on him a lot, but other than it seeming like the welt itches he is fine. No breathing issues, no other welts...

Currently, he had some chicken last night that maybe isn't agreeing with him so maybe it's a delayed food allergy? Any help would be awesome.

This is really making me uneasy and I want to know if it's an allergy

Advertisement

ISO: Ring Sling WC, Soft Star Shoes (brand) shoes size 8/9 (toddler) or infant
aumismommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 01:13 PM   #2
Lydia'sMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: HELP! Welt on eyelid - 11mo

If it's just one then my first thought would be a bug bite of some kind. But if it seems to always follow an allergy-prone situation (like food or pollen or something) then of course I would consult the Dr. next time you take him in to see if maybe it might be good to consider consulting a ped. allergist? I hope someone else has more specific or BTDT advice?
Old 06-10-2011, 01:14 PM   #3
Lydia'sMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Either way, if it keeps happening a good idea might be to keep a journal every time you see one of what he did/ate for the previous 24 hrs or so. That way if there is some kind of correlation you'll be able to spot it easily.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:00 PM   #4
aumismommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Thank you. I agree on keeping The journal i an starting now. I'm such a worrier I hope someone has btdt advice too. Ugh.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:03 PM   #5
aumismommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Nobody else?

Old 06-10-2011, 08:34 PM   #6
SkyeSpade
Registered Users
seller

My 16mo old DS woke up with this the other morning. It is most definitely a mosquito bite. (Since then, I began to find an average of 2-3 new ones per day). It seemed to bother him a little (eye rubbing, more needy than normal), but as long as it subsided within a few days, I didn't think it was important to make a special trip to the dr. DH had severe reactions to mosquito bites as a kid, too, so it runs in the family I suppose.

Since then, we've begun spraying w/ bug spray any time we go play outside and bought one of those bracelet deals and attached it to his crib, and he's getting much fewer bug bites.

If it recurs or seems to bother your LO too much, bring it up to a doctor. But if they seem fine, I generally take the attitude of....they know better than I do how they are!
Old 06-11-2011, 08:12 AM   #7
NSnewmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

A kid in my son's day care had his eyelid swell up and turn purple from a bug bite.