Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-10-2011, 02:19 PM   #1
toddler&triplets
Registered Users
seller

Anyone ever seen urine turn bluish/purple on MF inserts?

So, I had a BG one-size microfiber insert in an overnight diaper a few days ago. It was totally normal, full of pee after a 12-hour night and smelling like pee when I took it off in the morning. I had a bamboo insert underneath it, and it was soaked too. After sitting in the pail for a day, it turned a really beautiful deep color of bluish/purple. Only the mf insert changed color, not the bamboo or the lining of the pocket. It changed color right in the crotch where the majority of the pee soaks in during the night. It was REALLY WEIRD!!!! I bleached the load, and the blue color is still faintly in the insert. I tried sunning it, and it's faded but not gone. Anyone else ever experienced this??? My babes are 6 months old and are only breastfed. SO WEIRD!!!!!! I'll be bleaching the insert again. I'm afraid to use it again. Did an smurf pee blue in my diaper???????

Advertisement

toddler&triplets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 02:28 PM   #2
firework-mama
Registered Users

Re: Anyone ever seen urine turn bluish/purple on MF inserts?

My baby isn't born yet, so I've never experienced this.....but the color you are describing sounds like what happens when iodine hits starch. Does this make any sense with eating/medication/washing?
Sharon
firework-mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 03:18 PM   #3
maeus
Registered Users
seller

This has happened in the past for us, too! I thought it was blood, though, because it was a bit on the pinkish side. It's really odd, and I have no idea what happened or why, so I can't help you there. Glad to hear I'm not the only one who's had funky colors appear!

ETA-Urine tested negative for blood at the Dr, so it really was just funky coloring.
maeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 04:06 PM   #4
Levi_Elizabeth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Funny, mine has been more of a light pink color like maeus. It has happened twice at night both times in the big pee area and I am a little worried, but we go to the doctor soon and baby is fine. So I guess this might explain it?
Old 06-10-2011, 09:50 PM   #5
toddler&triplets
Registered Users
seller

bumping...anyone else experience this? It wasn't blue until after sitting in the diaper pail. I didn't remove it from the baby that way.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:11 PM   #6
somamama
Registered Users
seller
seller

This happened to us! EBF and one MF insert had a purple stain on it. No idea how or why and it only happened once. I think it mostly sunned out but I bleached all my MF a couple weeks ago and it's definitely gone now.
and our 3 furbabies (2 dogs & a cat). #2 due in 11/14! Loving life in beautiful Los Angeles.
somamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:13 PM   #7
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

I've had DD's urine turn dipes (including MF inserts) pink, blue, & darn-near black at different times. I'm not sure why, really, but it only happens when she's had Tylenol & the diapers sit...like overnight when it's hot.
Old 06-11-2011, 02:41 PM   #8
toddler&triplets
Registered Users
seller

Tylenol...we are teething and I had given them Tylenol (purple...grape flavor??) that day! Maybe that's it! I also had been drinking a lot of sugar-free grape "koolaid" that day and thought maybe it was the food dye transferring from me to her. But can that happen? I've never heard of anything like this, and breastmilk transfers so many other things. Maybe it is the Tylenol though. Good observation!
Old 06-11-2011, 02:44 PM   #9
somamama
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm thinking it might have been Tylenol for me, too. Seems like DS had his shots around that time period and woke up with a fever the next day so I gave him his first (and only so far) dose of Tylenol. Ours was a red, cherry flavor though so it must be the chemicals in the Tylenol more than the dye.
and our 3 furbabies (2 dogs & a cat). #2 due in 11/14! Loving life in beautiful Los Angeles.
somamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 03:49 PM   #10
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

We always use the cherry Tylenol, too, so I figure it must be either the fillers or the acetaminophen itself, as I've never had an issue w/ Motrin.