Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-10-2011, 07:02 PM   #11
corinne76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Acne remedies for teenage son...

I'm guessing he has oily or combo skin. The reason proactive doesnt work is that it's too strong. It will cut the oil, but his face will compensate by making MORE oil.
A gentle cleanser is much better. Dr Bronners is good. Or a plain ol olive oil soap. I use the castile and calendula baby soap http://www.chagrinvalleysoapandcraft.com/soapbars.htm
Olive oil is good for cleaning out pores.
Toners with alcohol wil dry out skin too. and make skin, yup, overcompensate. for a easy toner use apple cidar vinegar and water. play around with the ratio, ACV can sting a little. http://www.skinacea.com/acne/acne-treatment-acv.html
ACV is good for reducing pimples and pores.
a good at home mask is aspirin and water. or aspirin and honey. aspirin is a natural salisidic aid so it helps to gently dry up pimples. Honey will moisturize the skin. http://www.your-best-acne-treatment....irin-mask.html

Do not try too much at one time or the skin will react and usually not in a good way. do not mask or exfoliate too often either. the mask can be used every other day or so. if he finds his face getting too dry, hold off and do it less often. the trick is to balance the moisture and oil in the skin without making your skin angry.

oh and to moisturize, nothing too heavy. Carrier oils are great. some light ones are jojoba (good for reducing oil producution) and kukui. Wet face, put a drop or two in palm and pat on face. all you need is a little. too much oil is not good but just a little helps. skin that needs to be moisturized needs moisture. duh. so carrier oils literally carries the water (think...pushes into your skin) into your skin.

eta-tea tree oil is great for drying pimples and can be used to spot treat. it's an essential oil though and should not be used straight (though I have done it on desperate occasions)

Advertisement

Last edited by corinne76; 06-10-2011 at 07:07 PM.
corinne76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 07:05 PM   #12
Kätzchen
Registered Users
seller

My honest opinion, I would go to a dermatologist. I went for a one time deal, paid $45 [without insurance], and have had perfect skin since. I got a prescription for azelaic acid, and since, no more stress about my skin. I was told I had rosacea and had no idea :[
My skin regimen now costs me less than $10 a month and no more irritated, over-processed skin
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 07:46 PM   #13
adamsfam07
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow, these are all great, some of these items I've never heard of before but I bet if I know what to look for they'll be easy to find. Thank you so much for all your great replies. I know we really want to try and get him cleared up this summer so he can start 8th grade much more confident. I hate to see him so embarrassed by it. Going to hit some stores tomorrow and see what I can find. Thanks again Mommas
Old 06-10-2011, 07:52 PM   #14
ambersrose
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonlightblonde View Post
Why stay away from the peppermint kind? That is the one I have...and use.
Peppermint burns my sensitive parts and I could only imagine it would be killer if it got in your eyes!
Old 06-10-2011, 08:01 PM   #15
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

I've had really good luck w/ the ACV toner (as a PP said) & a sulfur soap (which isn't very expensive & lasts forever). I also like Dr. Bronner's as a facial cleanser, as well as SallyeAnder Flax & French Clay soap.

I've never done the ProActive routine, but I've done several of the other Benzoyl Peroxide routines. As a whole, they didn't work for me...but I really, really like the AcneFree Repair Lotion. I use it as a night treatment when I get a really wonky hormone breakout. Generally, I use it for two nights & things get back to normal.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:19 PM   #16
Babybliss
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Have you had him try using a buff puff facial sponge?
Babybliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:37 PM   #17
ssand23
Registered Users
seller
seller

I really like the Burts Bees herbal blemish stick. It's my go to when something unwanted pops up
ssand23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:56 PM   #18
Layney82
Registered Users
seller

I tried everything as a teen and Accutane was the only thing that helped. It's definitely a last resort, and the 4 months that I took it were pretty miserable, but it cleared this up significantly. My skin isn't perfect, but 14 years have passed since I took it and the horrible cystic acne never returned.

Paula's Choice skin care items work very well for mild-moderate acne. A mild cleanser, salicylic acid exfoliant and benzoyl peroxide cream is your best bet for clear skin. There is lot's of info at www.cosmeticscop.com about ingredients/brands to avoid.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:59 PM   #19
bean3
Registered Users
seller

I've tried this in the past and it helps calm the inflammation...

Normal saline wash. Just 1 cup of clear lukewarm water and 1/4 teaspoon of salt (preferably kosher -- without iodine). Use this on a washcloth to rinse on the face (wet the washcloth and then place it on the face). It is the same concentration they use for the saline sinus irrigations for neti pots.

If I'm getting this right, it is a gentle saline wash that won't irritate the skin. So it will cleanse without stripping the natural oils. No excess oil stimulation. It should also help reduce inflammation. For me, it also helps to reduce that underlying inflammatory, reactivity look, which can be helpful to do before he goes somewhere. Try using it as an occasional refresher during the day.

Love music, need trumpet???
Look here: http://stores.ebay.com/Kalamazoo-Brass

Last edited by bean3; 06-10-2011 at 11:00 PM.
bean3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 11:34 PM   #20
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

I would encourage him to try the oil cleanse method. I have freaky weird combination skin, had terrible acne in high school, still battle with acne as an adult, and the oil cleanse method is the only thing that keeps my skin clear. Drinking plenty of water and reducing my sugar intake helped, but the oil cleansing is the only thing that keeps it clear.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote