Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-11-2011, 08:26 AM   #21
ambersrose
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Acne remedies for teenage son...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layney82 View Post
I tried everything as a teen and Accutane was the only thing that helped.
Accutane was pulled from the market. It had horrible side effects in some people. It was bad stuff.

Advertisement

Old 06-11-2011, 09:21 AM   #22
jenbabekitty
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
When I was a teen I had horrific acne. I was even called acne acres. Kids are so mean. During the summer one year my mom took me to the dr about it. I had to use retin a, which I would love to get my hands on another tube of that! I also had benzinycin (?) cream and an antibiotic. Mine was different than regular acne. I can't remember exactly but it wasn't from not washing or oil. Something with inheriting it. I used wash after wash and natural treatments. It cleared up within a month. Retin a does burn the top layer of skin and is very uncomfortable but it us only like that for a week or 2. He may need a dr to help.

I was excited to go back to school after that summer! they boys that called me names all of a sudden wanted dates. I don't think so!!!

Sent from my iPhone so watch for weird posts!
Old 06-11-2011, 09:27 AM   #23
Truckerswife
Registered Users
seller

my brother had horrible acne as a teen and early twentys he also had a reoccurring cyst on his ear about 3 years he eliminated all sugar from his diet and now he has great skin no acne and his cyst has not come back if he eats something with sugar or eats bananas than he will get a break out
Old 06-11-2011, 09:50 AM   #24
Expectingsam
Registered Users

I love Daybreak lavender farm products. So nice on my skin.
Expectingsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:53 AM   #25
corinne76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckerswife View Post
my brother had horrible acne as a teen and early twentys he also had a reoccurring cyst on his ear about 3 years he eliminated all sugar from his diet and now he has great skin no acne and his cyst has not come back if he eats something with sugar or eats bananas than he will get a break out
I tried eliminating all sugar once and it did clear up my face, and make me lose weight. soo bad I failed miserably at sticking to it.
no sugar at all? impossible!
Old 06-11-2011, 10:06 AM   #26
Layney82
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambersrose View Post
Accutane was pulled from the market. It had horrible side effects in some people. It was bad stuff.
It was definitely dangerous - I had weekly monitoring of liver function, etc., they won't give it to sexually active women since the risk of birth defects is too high. As far as I know, it was only the name brand drug that was withdrawn from the us market. Generics are still available in the US and the name brand is still available in other countries.

It's definitely not to be taken lightly, and the prescribing doctor has to know the potential adverse affects and watch for them, but it was a good thing for me. I'd tried everything else available and had horrible, disfiguring, painful cystic acne. It got so bad that I wouldn't go to school, was too embarrassed to leave the house, and was horribly depressed.

I'm not suggesting it for OP's son, just pointing out that sometimes none of the other 'cures' work. If nothing else, most people outgrow it (at almost 30, I'm still waiting to outgrow it.)
Old 06-11-2011, 10:49 AM   #27
aaiya
Registered Users
seller

What's your son's dairy intake like? My younger sisters noticed a MARKED reduction in their acne when they stopped drinking milk (they sub almond milk).
aaiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 01:05 PM   #28
ecbcmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

only thing that worked for me was murad facial wash.
ecbcmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 04:17 PM   #29
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

okay, this is coming from someone who had adult acne and finally figured out how to have a clear face at 30... well, actually, I might have been 31 when I figured it out.

anyways........

active ingredients. If I use a cleanser with salicylic acid in it, my face breaks out. Most OTC cleansers have that as their active ingredient.

Proactive. Uses a different active ingrediate, benzoyl peroxide. I used this 3 step system for awhile, and like your son, it seemed to stop working.

What I figured out was that it was the toner that was causing problems for me. My current regimen is Proactiv cleanser, plain witchhazel, proactiv moisturizer. and I could not be happier with how my face is.

I actually think that the key thing here is the witchhazel. It's about $1 at any grocery store - sometimes next to the peroxide. You really do need a toner to fix the pH of your skin and witchhazel is so natural. Tons of doctors tell women with preggo acne to use it - it's great.

My proactiv is about to run out and I haven't decided if I'll buy more bottles of the cleanser and the moisturizer or if I will find something from sephora, etc.

but I will always use the witchhazel. and I will never use salicylic acid cleansers on my skin again. They work for other people, but my skin can't tolerate them.

hope that helps! I am adament that my daughter won't suffer the way that I did.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:23 PM   #30
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

Pay for the dermatologist... You could spend just as much trying every combination under the sun.

I've had acne my entire life and the only thing that made it better was birth control pills and I have the best skin of my life when I'm pregnant. (I also normally have really oily hair which I don't when pregnant).

I think there is a class action suit right now for accutane users, isn't there? My brother used it too in the 80s.
isabelsmummy is offline   Reply With Quote