Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-10-2011, 08:28 PM   #1
adonairoi
Registered Users
seller

Question Infant Torticollis

My daughter is 3 months old and has a mild/moderate case of torticollis. Her head is clearly cocked to the right, and as a result her back kind of twists to the left and then to the right at a slight angle. We just started seeing an excellent chiropractor this week and she is beginning to improve.

I am curious- has anyone else dealt with this issue in an infant, and if so, about how long did it take before you saw dramatic improvement/resolution?

Advertisement

Old 06-10-2011, 08:44 PM   #2
chameleon607
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Infant Torticollis

My daughter. We noticed her head cocked to the right by the time she was 2 weeks old. We started seeing a chiropractor and craniosacral therapist and after each visit, DD would seem to straighten up for a day or two, but then slowly go back to the right again until recently. She's 4.5 months now and you can't tell anything was ever wrong, but it's been in the past month to month and a half that she's straightened up for good.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:59 PM   #3
adonairoi
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by chameleon607 View Post
My daughter. We noticed her head cocked to the right by the time she was 2 weeks old. We started seeing a chiropractor and craniosacral therapist and after each visit, DD would seem to straighten up for a day or two, but then slowly go back to the right again until recently. She's 4.5 months now and you can't tell anything was ever wrong, but it's been in the past month to month and a half that she's straightened up for good.
How old was she when you started taking her, was it right away or later? Just curious how long she was treated before you noticed her staying straight for good.

Thank you so much for the response!
Old 06-10-2011, 09:08 PM   #4
CrazedChris
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My youngest daughter had it from birth. I think we started treating it around 4 months? I think. It only took about 2 months of pt/home exercises to straighten it. But it sometimes relapses when they start walking, but stretches help.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:18 PM   #5
adonairoi
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedChris View Post
My youngest daughter had it from birth. I think we started treating it around 4 months? I think. It only took about 2 months of pt/home exercises to straighten it. But it sometimes relapses when they start walking, but stretches help.
Thank you! That is very helpful to know. I will keep in mind the possible relapse.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:12 PM   #6
ho11yb
Registered Users
seller

Ds had a moderate case of torticollis. He was breech and we attributed it to that. He was diagnosed with it and plagiocephaly at 2 mo this (we noticed he only turned his head to the one side from birth, but didn't know it was a problem). He started physical therapy before 3 months and continued til 10 months when he started crawling. It probably took 3-4 months before we really noticed a significant change.

On the relapse issue- our PT said it is very common and we could notice it even a year later as he goes through growth spurts things could tighten up and take a bit to relax again.

Blame the typos on the iPad!

Last edited by ho11yb; 06-10-2011 at 10:14 PM.
ho11yb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 11:36 PM   #7
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

My youngest had it due to low muscle tone and tensing herself up. She starting seeing a PT around 3 months, I think, and stopped around 6 months, though the last few visits were more like check-ups. How quickly you see results is going to depend partly on how bad it is and partly on how much you work with your LO at home.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 12:32 AM   #8
Janine
Registered Users

My Mood:
DD was diagnosed with torticollis within 15 minutes of birth. We were visited by an occupational therapist that day and she instructed us on exercises to do with her. It seemed apparent that the torticollis was due to unusual positioning in the womb. The missing fat on one side of her chin filled out within a month and the torticollis was gone by 3-months, although for years she would lay her head over to that side for no apparent reason. We ended up having a neurologist examine her to make sure it wasn't a spasm or seizure because the movement was so sudden and appeared involuntary. Not sure if it was related to the torticollis or if it was just a coincidence. I should mention that although the doctors and nurses could immediately see DD's torticollis from the moment she was born, we were told that she had a mild case.

Last edited by Janine; 06-11-2011 at 12:34 AM.
Janine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 01:42 AM   #9
nohollyhomaker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Both my girls had it. My older dd I didn't really think much of it until she hit 3 months then I got worried looked it up and took her to the doctor. He told me exercises to do to stretch her neck and said it was mild enough to keep an eye on it and he didn't think she would need pt. A month later it was better and she didn't need pt.

I noticed the torticollis in my second dd much sooner. I mentioned it to the pediatrician and he told me hers was also mild and to encourage her to look the other way and do stretches. Hers didn't go away as easy but she went in at 4 and 5 months and he said it was mild she was ok it was mild and we will keep an eye on it. Everytime I corrected her head when she was sleeping she turned it back minutes later. I was getting really worried at that point and asked my friend who had a son who saw a physical therapist and she asked the pt for me. The pt said to get her in right away so I called and asked for a referral from my pediatrician.

She was a little behind in her gross motor skills and wasn't even really sitting with support at 5 months and only rolling one way. She been doing weekly pt appointments and has been going to a chiropractor regularly since 5 months. She will be 9 months in a few days. At 5 months her tilt was really bad and noticeable. Now most people wouldn't notice it unless they know to look for it. It is still there a little bit. Luckily she doesn't have any head flattening.

I wish I got her in sooner for physical therapy. She was only a mild to moderate case but it really affected her anyway. Her gross skills are not too far off but she definitely a little behind in her gross motor skills. She is about 2 months behind. It affected her center of balance, her lifting skills and she favors sides with rolling and reaching and army crawling. It isn't that that side of her body is stronger just that she got used to using one side more because of the tilt and rotation. She has other bad habits from the torticollis that set her back a little bit.

Last edited by nohollyhomaker; 06-11-2011 at 01:44 AM.
nohollyhomaker is offline   Reply With Quote