Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-14-2011, 12:01 AM   #11
amberdawn723
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: advice for a shy 3 yr old.

I didn't read the responses....but thought I'd chime in and say google "Selective Mutism". I have no clue what your child's situation is...but just wanted to take the time to inform those of you that are interested.

I had Selective Mutism as a child and highly recommend parents be informed in case their LO has this form of social anxiety. Everyone always thought I was just shy as virtually no one knows what SM is.....but when a child does not talk outside of the family, then their is an issue and it is not just shyness. I did not talk to anyone outside of my mom, dad, and brother until I was 6 years old and in 1st grade.

I went to preschool. My mom babysat for a living....so it was not lack of social opportunities or a lack of social skills. I was a completely normal child when no one else besides family were around. We have a home video of me at preschool during a performance with all of us on risers singing songs and doing little finger choreography. I am the ONLY child just standing there the entire time. I didn't sing or do any of the movements. Just stood there looking around. It's really rather sad to watch. At first my mom thought I was just stubborn and she would push me so hard to communicate when we'd go places. My first 1st grade teacher refused to even have me as a student since I would not participate if it required me speaking. I was shuffled off to another teacher. And what a blessing she was....Mrs. Inabe. She never demanded me to speak and treated me like a normal kid. My parents eventually took me to a psychologist when I was 5 and it really helped. I just wish more parents were informed of this anxiety disorder.

I am still very shy, but definitely no longer selectively mute. I just have social anxiety now. And I truly feel sad for those who go through this without any help/sympathy.

Advertisement

Gwendolyn (6-30-15)
amberdawn723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 05:56 AM   #12
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: advice for a shy 3 yr old.

So NOT your fault mama! My 3yrold-will be 4 in 2wks-is also VERY shy. She is a total mama magnet. She never leaves my side when others are around-be it adult or kids. She's very s...l....o....w to warm up. She is exactly how I was The last month she's been enrolled in swim classes. She cried 90% of the time the 1st leason, about 1/2 the next, and I see her at least once still say 'I want mama' during each lesson. I'm watching in 'the fish tank' so she knows I'm close by. She will look at me several times during class and I just give a thumbs up and smile.

Over the last couple wks she has started to come out of her shell though. She actually STARTED a coversation with the cashier this wkend. I was so excited! Just give her time mama

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).

Last edited by my2sweets; 06-14-2011 at 05:57 AM.
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote