Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-11-2011, 08:17 PM   #1
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Sleep help for travel?

Does anyone have any good tips for getting my 8 month old to sleep when not in his own crib? My SIL is on hospital bed rest so we are going back and forth from my house to hers (2 hours one way- grrr) to care for my 2 year old niece. They want her to have some stability - so it is really important to them that she be close enough to visit her mom and dad (he's staying at the hospital as well). I completely understand- but it is really effecting my 8 month old. My 4 year old is ok with it but is giving me a little trouble going to sleep. The 8 month old is having a really hard time. We have been doing our regular routine, but he screams if I try to put him down at bedtime. I pick him up and he either wants to stay awake or groans and cries a little until he goes to sleep. After he goes to sleep I can't put him down or he wakes up and starts crying again. He also wakes up once or twice at night and has to be held for a few mins. The girls both have bedtimes after him- and its getting pretty hard to get them ready for bed when I can't put the baby down. His usual bedtime is between 6 and 7, but he is staying up or needing to be held until at least 9. One night I had to hold him until midnight.

I am getting very frustrated- I've suddenly gained a 2 year old and my boy is having serious problems with not being in his own home. I am sure that is the problem, just don't know what I can do. CIO is not an option- he will not give up, if he does happen to fall asleep that way he always wakes up again very grouchy and he won't go back to sleep.

Advertisement

jbug_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 01:50 AM   #2
S4r4h
Registered Users

Are you nursing? I just went on a trip with my DD and had great luck with laying with her and nursing her to sleep, then moving her to the crib when she was really out (or not at all )
Sarah Beth - Mama to Charlie (Charlotte) born 1/12/11 and wife to Jeffery, computer geek extraordinaire. Lover of succulent gardens, live plant aquariums, reading, nature, sunshine, emergency veterinary medicine, and Homer, the best dog in the world.
S4r4h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 04:48 AM   #3
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Sleep help for travel?

No we stopped nursing a few months ago. I have tried rocking him with bottle to sleep though. He knows its not his bed so as soon as I lay him down- even if he has been asleep in my arms for an hour he wakes up. I am thinking I am going to try and see if I can find a co-sleeper or cradle that is safe to use for his age. He will sleep in bed with me, but my 4 year old is in bed too and she thrashes like crazy in her sleep. He slept in a cradle for the 1st 5 months so maybe if I can find one around here it will work. I am getting pretty desperate and my back is killing me (I have a bad back) from bending to get him down in the pack n play.
jbug_4 is offline   Reply With Quote