View Poll Results: Would you induce if you were me??!
Yes 37 37.37%
No 62 62.63%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-11-2011, 09:21 PM   #1
passthepickles
Registered Users
Formerly: shannbannan
seller

My Mood:
Question Would you induce under these circumstances?

I am 38 weeks +6 days (due on the 19th.) With 2 weeks left until my due date, an ultrasound estimated the baby to be a hair over 9 pounds. I know he is bigger than both of my other babies (9.5 and 10 lbs) because he FEELS way bigger to me. I have gained the least amount of weight out of all three pregnancies and I have new stretch marks all over my belly. I am enormous. Seriously. I have measured anywhere from 5-7 weeks ahead since I was 6 months preggo. This was me at 12 weeks:

And this was me at 37 weeks. (Face was for effect, and I don't really walk around like that, lol! But that IS a maternity shirt I am wearing... just to give you an idea!)

At any rate... I am scheduled for an induction on the 16th, which goes against everything I believe in- but see merit to the reasons. Just wondering what you guys think... would you induce if you were me, under the previous and following circumstances?

* Both of my kids were persistent posterior births, and my daughter was an unmedicated FACE presentation at 9.5 pounds. Terrible.

*My daughter had bad shoulder dystocia at birth, and we thought she had a broken clavicle (she didn;t, thank God.)

*I had pre-eclampsia with my son, and high blood pressure with both this pregnancy and my daughters. I am currently on magnesium and a beta-blocker to treat the pressure and another pregnancy related heart condition. At my last appointment, I had "trace" protein in my urine. My dr. said he would monitor me, but it wasn't something he was super concerned about.

*My Dr. is incredibly conservative when it comes to inductions and c sections (which is why I chose him.) He let my sister in law labor for almost 40 hours without going to c-section.

*He estimated (at 34-35 weeks) that my baby could potentially weigh up to 12 pounds at birth! An ultrasound I had at 35 weeks, put him at 8 pounds. My 38 week ultrasound put him at 9 pounds, but out of range for bone measurements. I don't expect him to be small based on my other kids births and the fact that I am almost 6' tall, and my husband is 6'3". I do understand that the ultrasound can be off by up to 2 pounds. So does my doctor...

*I am not due until the 19th, but both of my children were late. 14 and 4 days. Lot's of growing time left there...

-----
I am TERRIFIED of an induction. My Dr. (who has been an OB for almost 40 years) said he is very uncomfortable letting me even go to my due date with a baby that is *potentially* that large. Especially knowing how my labor was with my other children (he said sometimes the shape of your pelvis and birth canal may impact the way a baby turns during labor, but there is no real medical documentation to back that up.) I'm sorry, but having been through it twice, a HUGE baby in a posterior presentation scares the bejezus out of me. Especially if there is a possibility of a face presentation.

I just don't know what to do. I am all for natural and safe progression of things and part of me wants to refuse the induction and tough it out... but the possible outcomes are really weighing on me. HELP ME DECIDE WHAT TO DO!!!!

eta: I have been trying natural induction methods. Nipple stimulation, I had my membranes stripped on Thursday (obviously it didn't work.) I am taking oral and vaginal EPO, eating spicy foods, driving down bumpy roads, having lots of lovin' time with the hubby... I even drank castor oil which only succeeded in making me sick. I'm trying. Nothing is working, so far though.

Advertisement

Last edited by passthepickles; 06-11-2011 at 09:34 PM.
passthepickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:31 PM   #2
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Would you induce under these circumstances?

Why not try some other natural methods of induction first??? There are plenty, membrane stripping, nipple stimulation etc... just search this forum. I would just rather get things going on their own if it were me! But I can understand your anxiety over this.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:31 PM   #3
Pyrodjm
Registered Users
seller
seller

No, I would not induce if the only issue was a suspected large baby. Induction doesn't mean the baby won't still be posterior or face presentation.
Pyrodjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:37 PM   #4
passthepickles
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrodjm View Post
No, I would not induce if the only issue was a suspected large baby. Induction doesn't mean the baby won't still be posterior or face presentation.
ITA. I think though, that the fact that the baby is so big is really icing on the cake for the heart "stuff." It's not only that he is a hoss, although it obviously plays in big time.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:58 PM   #5
cinderella08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Just wanting personal opinion?

No, I wouldn't consider inducing for 'big baby'. I've dealt with two necessary inductions - one for HELLP syndrome and one for Preeclampsia. One resulted in a cesarean.
Expecting Oakley Lennon in March 2015!

Last edited by cinderella08; 06-11-2011 at 10:00 PM.
cinderella08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 10:11 PM   #6
foodie.yarnie.mommie.
Registered Users
Formerly: dimibella
seller

My Mood:

The only thing that worries me is the SD, I've BTDT and it is a bit scary. How well prepared is your doc for that situation? If you had one with the last kiddo and this kiddo is going to be even bigger then induction might be a good idea. It doesn't always have to be a horrible situation/experience. This is coming from a mama who like you had a posterior baby and a SD baby (homebirth) and my last two kiddos were also "overdue". I am very homebirth/unmedicated/no interventions type mama, but the SD isn't something to mess around with IMO, not all docs/midwives are well prepared for it. Thank God mine was, but even still DD had to be given a few breaths and be rubbed and coaxed to breath. Good luck in your decision mama, I know it's not an easy one.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:13 PM   #7
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

No, I personally wouldn't. Weight based on ultrasounds mean very little, it can be over a pound in each direction (which can be a lot for a newborn!) I was measuring weeks ahead so we all though I'd go late but I had a 6lber at 36 weeks. You just never know.
Oh, and I had a sunny side up babe too - I can feel your pain on that one!

Just hang in there mama. Your baby has its own plan, and induction won't guaruntee a favorable position or easy labor. The position of the baby is a bigger factor in birthing than weight is. Do you think this baby is posterior? Maybe do some cat/cow exercises to try and shake the baby down. In the mean time, I'd try to keep inducing labor naturally, but most of all - stay positive!
Old 06-11-2011, 10:23 PM   #8
passthepickles
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodie.yarnie.mommie. View Post
The only thing that worries me is the SD, I've BTDT and it is a bit scary. How well prepared is your doc for that situation? If you had one with the last kiddo and this kiddo is going to be even bigger then induction might be a good idea. It doesn't always have to be a horrible situation/experience. This is coming from a mama who like you had a posterior baby and a SD baby (homebirth) and my last two kiddos were also "overdue". I am very homebirth/unmedicated/no interventions type mama, but the SD isn't something to mess around with IMO, not all docs/midwives are well prepared for it. Thank God mine was, but even still DD had to be given a few breaths and be rubbed and coaxed to breath. Good luck in your decision mama, I know it's not an easy one.
SD is my biggest concern too. It was HELL to recover from on my part, and it could have been way worse for the baby. That is the one reason I am seriously feeling like saying i'll go ahead with the induction. That was the most horrifying experience of my life, and to be able to prepare and plan for it (and potentially avoid it by delivering a smaller baby) really erases a lot of my fears. My doctor is amazing. He is very experienced and I totally trust him to handle whatever comes our way... so I feel like he is suggesting what really is best for me and the baby. I just feel so guilty. I want him to be 100% ready on his own to come out. That said, I would rather have a C-Section than deal with SD again.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:43 PM   #9
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I would do it, it's only a few days before your EDD right? My DS5 was 8lb11oz at 37wks so I can't imagine how big he could have gotten at 39-40wks. I wasn't even that big though. I have to be induce at 39wks for a heart problem I have so I'm pretty used to the idea for certain reasons. With a history of pre-e, SD, heart problems, macrosomia, etc I would really do it. My inductions weren't that bad. Easy, no, but it wasn't horrific. Obviously I not only did it again, I did it again twice and will be induced at 39wks again this time if I don't go on my own by then. I'm totally comfortable with the decision unlike the first time. I guess if I had negative experiences I may not feel this way and that's why I fully support going naturally, homebirth, UC... I'm just not comfortable with it myself after my past experience even though I really thought I would this time.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:03 PM   #10
BeckyP
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by passthepickles View Post
*My daughter had bad shoulder dystocia at birth, and we thought she had a broken clavicle (she didn;t, thank God.)

*I had pre-eclampsia with my son, and high blood pressure with both this pregnancy and my daughters. I am currently on magnesium and a beta-blocker to treat the pressure and another pregnancy related heart condition. At my last appointment, I had "trace" protein in my urine. My dr. said he would monitor me, but it wasn't something he was super concerned about.
When I had Ds he was stuck and had the cord around his neck. It was very scary and he ended up having a week stay in the NICU. I really wanted to avoid having another NICU baby so at 36 weeks my Dr did an U/S to see if the cord was around DD neck and to check her size. If the cord had been around her neck the Dr agreed we would start talking C-section because I didn't want to go through that again. Thankfully the cord was not around her neck but he guessed she would weigh in around 8lbs. Ds got his extra large head stuck but he weighed only only 7lbs 12oz. He measured my DD's head to be normal size and he said some times the first will pave the way for the second so although she is bigger he didn't think I would have trouble birthing her but I asked to be induced a few days early just to ease my mind. I was induced and it hurt like hell, so much worse then the first time. I don't think my body was ready but she came out with a couple good pushes. She had very large shoulders and they had to pull her out one shoulder at a time kinda rolling them but he was not hurt.

I guess what I am trying to say is If you are worried about the health of your baby then be induced but be prepared, I think it hurts way more.