View Poll Results: Would you induce if you were me??!
Yes 37 37.37%
No 62 62.63%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2011, 11:15 PM   #11
formunkyfrommommy's Avatar
formunkyfrommommy
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Port Alberni, BC
Posts: 1,592
My Mood:
Re: Would you induce under these circumstances?

i said no but i want to clarify...i would not have a medical induction, i would try as much as possible naturally to induce though....when babies are bigger, induction can increase the risk of shoulder dystocia and other fetal stress issues because the baby is being forced out too quickly and it doesnt give your body the time to do what it is meant to do naturally which can lead to a seriously higher rate of c-section as well....i would try natural induction methods and wait to let my body do what it is meant to do naturally

Advertisement

__________________
WAHM to 2 little Munkies, wife to my wonderful DH 5+ years
For Munky From Mommy - Natural and Organic Family Alternatives...find my items on The Motherstitch and Etsy
formunkyfrommommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 11:47 PM   #12
MinkaK's Avatar
MinkaK
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Vegas :)
Posts: 11,439
My Mood:
Re: Would you induce under these circumstances?

I would. My first was 9.2 at 37w4d-a vaginal birth that needed vacuum extraction and DS' clavicle was broken from a dystocia -and yes it is horrifying to have that happen. With my second I scheduled an induction for 37w with a positive amnio and the OB had me slotted for a possible c-section. However, my OB was willing to strip me the week beforehand. The first time was at 36w and nothing happened. The second time was at 36w3d and the OB did accupressure to my head, I was done with that appt at 9am and DD was born that evening at 930pm, weighing 8.9

The one thing that every OB I have seen has stressed to me is-how big do YOU feel the baby is.
__________________
Alana
Mama to my sweet babies 2007, 2009, 2011 and someone new in 2014
MinkaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 07:10 AM   #13
veveland's Avatar
veveland
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,384
My Mood:
What are your concerns about induction? That would really weigh your decision. I have had two inductions (and planning for a third) due to chronic hypertension and pre-e. With my first, I had a foley bulb and low dose pit. No major side effects for me or baby and the pain was uncomfortable, but bearable (keep in mind, I did have an epi after about 12 hours, but I had planned on it anyway, and it wasn't because the pain was too much to handle). With my second, I had cytotec and then regular pit. Just the cytotec alone caused me to have mild contractions (enough to dilate me to 4-5 cm), and again, was just uncomfortable but not unbearable. The regular pit however, had me in tears, screaming for my epi. The contractions were one on top of another and just incredibly painful the whole time. So, if you are considering induction, here's what I would do.

-ask for a biophysical to double check measurements, etc... And make sure baby is looking good.
-find out how favorable you are for induction (if you are not effects or dilated at all, they would most likely wind up with regular pit)
-ask for less invasive methods of induction (foley, cervadil, etc...) first before turning straight to pit. If your body is ready, you will most likely go into a labor pattern on your own.
-find out what your doctor's "never mind" policy is. I know my hospital (as well as many others) are willing to try non-invasive induction (no or low dose pit) for several hours and if no changes happen, send you home and try again another day. That is, of course, assuming baby is in no distress, tolerates their methods okay, and your water doesn't break.

Be sure to ask about your options. It seems as though you trust your doctor a lot, and he is leaning in this direction. You do want to consider your own health and safety i n delivery too and with BP and heart issues, that will likely only get worse. That very well may be one of his concerns. Just don't assume it has to be a certain way-there are plenty of options!
__________________
Valerie, wife to Walt and SAHM to Nick (7/06) and Olivia (7/09) and baby Katelyn (8/11) and currently completing our family through adoption!
veveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 07:29 AM   #14
doodah's Avatar
doodah
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 9,961
Re: Would you induce under these circumstances?

I don't think you should go into this feeling like you "have to" do this or that. The important thing is that you and baby are as happy and healthy as possible. If you trust your doctor and know your own body and experience with complications at delivery then make the decision and stick to it regardless of what you feel should happen or might happen or you hope will happen. You only have so much information and you have to make the best decision based on that. It actually sounds like you do think that induction is the best bet but feel bad about that. Don't. Talk to your doctor again about all the possibilities and take advantage of modern medicine if necessary. Everyone can give you hundreds of statistics and stories and say that this or that will be a certain way but its up to you. I really think you have made the decision already so I am going to say just support yourself in that and don't let anybody or anything make you feel bad about not doing something a certain way.
doodah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 07:30 AM   #15
steph410's Avatar
steph410
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 6,096
My Mood:
Re: Would you induce under these circumstances?

Quote:
Originally Posted by passthepickles View Post
*My daughter had bad shoulder dystocia at birth, and we thought she had a broken clavicle (she didn;t, thank God.)
i can relate for sure. my most recent baby, who is 6 months old now, was 10lbs 7 oz at birth. i had a totally natural birth, no induction and no meds, but it was very difficult. he had shoulder dystocia and a broken collarbone. now he's totally fine though, thank God. If I had known how hard and dangerous it was going to be I may have been induced earlier (if cervix was ripe, etc). think about it a lot and talk a lot to your provider. i hope all goes well!! i know what it's like to be so big!!
__________________
Catholic mom to five wonderful little boys- we welcomed our newest baby on 4/6/13
steph410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 07:57 AM   #16
A&M'smommy's Avatar
A&M'smommy
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: colorado
Posts: 687
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by veveland
What are your concerns about induction? That would really weigh your decision. I have had two inductions (and planning for a third) due to chronic hypertension and pre-e. With my first, I had a foley bulb and low dose pit. No major side effects for me or baby and the pain was uncomfortable, but bearable (keep in mind, I did have an epi after about 12 hours, but I had planned on it anyway, and it wasn't because the pain was too much to handle). With my second, I had cytotec and then regular pit. Just the cytotec alone caused me to have mild contractions (enough to dilate me to 4-5 cm), and again, was just uncomfortable but not unbearable. The regular pit however, had me in tears, screaming for my epi. The contractions were one on top of another and just incredibly painful the whole time. So, if you are considering induction, here's what I would do.

-ask for a biophysical to double check measurements, etc... And make sure baby is looking good.
-find out how favorable you are for induction (if you are not effects or dilated at all, they would most likely wind up with regular pit)
-ask for less invasive methods of induction (foley, cervadil, etc...) first before turning straight to pit. If your body is ready, you will most likely go into a labor pattern on your own.
-find out what your doctor's "never mind" policy is. I know my hospital (as well as many others) are willing to try non-invasive induction (no or low dose pit) for several hours and if no changes happen, send you home and try again another day. That is, of course, assuming baby is in no distress, tolerates their methods okay, and your water doesn't break.

Be sure to ask about your options. It seems as though you trust your doctor a lot, and he is leaning in this direction. You do want to consider your own health and safety i n delivery too and with BP and heart issues, that will likely only get worse. That very well may be one of his concerns. Just don't assume it has to be a certain way-there are plenty of options!
ITA! My first I was induced early for personal reasons and it was awful. No one told me I wasn't favorable and how hard it was going to be. I was induced with my 2nd at 41 weeks and I was very favorable I was dilated to a 3.5 50% effaced. I was having mild contractions when I got to the hospital. Mw stripped my membranes again and gave me 1 cytotec and that put me in labor. She broke my water at a 6 and everything progressed perfectly! So what I'm saying IMO being favorable and kinda on the right track already helps a lot when considering an induction! So I would keep doing all your natural methods. And ask dr to strip membranes a couple more times and do your induction! Don't feel bad about it either!
A&M'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 08:13 AM   #17
misskira
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Western Oregon
Posts: 7,162
My Mood:
Re: Would you induce under these circumstances?

I will go against the grain and say Yes. SD, high BP and heart stuff all says to me that perhaps sooner is better than later. Yes, the baby may have a plan, but sometimes the baby's plan isn't the best/safest option. I had one induction and one spontaneous start to labor, both ended in csections. It is what it is, and I don't regret them. I have 2 healthy boys and that means a lot to me.

I will say if you go for the induction read up on csections too. That's something I didn't do ahead of time with my first. I know about the cascade of interventions, but didn't realize just how much more likely I was to have a csection with an induction. Although I don't think he would have come vaginally regardless in my case.
misskira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:03 AM   #18
songbird516's Avatar
songbird516
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 6,164
My Mood:
Re: Would you induce under these circumstances?

Have you seen a chiropractor lately? You are very tall, which should give you a little more room in your pelvis as long as everything is in alignment. I can see why you would be concerned, but induction could make SD and other problems related to malpresentation worse. If I was sure that I was going to have a large baby I would do everything I could to make sure the baby was in a good position, then labor without an epidural and with as much freedom of movement as possible, especially during pushing.
__________________
Sara- mommy to Claire (01/10) and Micah (3/12) and someone new (10/14)
Birth doula and life-long student of Everything! Need a doula in the central VA area? Let's talk! www.beyondbirthsupport.com
songbird516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:04 AM   #19
Greenbabybottoms
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,790
Re: Would you induce under these circumstances?

I can tell you what I have been told by several perinatologist, doctors and midwives. I hae had 2 births with significant shoulder dystocia (my second much worse than my 1st) and I will be induced early this time to hopefully avoid or at least lessen the dystocia. But I have been told that 1 shoulder dystocia really isn't cause for that much concern in future births. It is definitely something to keep in mind and something for your practitioners to be aware of but 1 shoulder dystocia could be bad presentation (which you know you have dealt with), weakened contractions etc. There are lots of things besides pelvic issues that attribute to a shoulder dystocia. It is when there have been 2 or more dystocias that you start to look into there possibly being a physical issue that is keeping the babies from coming out safely. In my case they have discovered that I have a platypelloid pelvis and I will be induced early, really it is my only shot at having a vaginal birth and even with that induction my chance of csection is pretty high but my chance of csection is even higher if I wait and let my body go into labor on it's own (like it did with my 2nd dd).

In your situation I would keep the idea of induction on the table (mostly because of your other health issues, not so much because of the dystocia) and just monitor things. I do think there is a point where sometimes it is better to induce and have the baby.
__________________
Awesome Heartsy Deals today! Get $5 credit for signing up and take advantage. Soaps, cookies and baby hats are all feature deals today! http://heartsy.me/users/129212/referral?c=plink
Greenbabybottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:15 AM   #20
aubreyaks's Avatar
aubreyaks
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,075
Re: Would you induce under these circumstances?

My opinion is also no. You're scared of the induction. Your instincts are there for a reason. We all want what is best for our babies. Even with the potential risks,they are potential, not guarantees. I so wish you had enough time to complete a Hypnobabies course it is 6 weeks and addresses a LOT of the issues you mentioned. You can turn posterior babies in labor with the belly lift technique, go buy Back Labor No More on Amazon. You can read the book in about an hour, totally worth it. I would also suggest further research on avoiding SD using different birthing positions. Without knowing what position you were in for your last births, I hope that a different position may be helpful. Most cases of SD can be avoided by changing Mom's position. As far as encouraging your little one to come out, download the track" come out baby" from Hypnobabies. I listened to it at 38 weeks because of some maternal complications I was being threatened with an induction. 12 hours after listening, I was in active labor. I did nothing else to naturally induce labor. Your mind is powerful. Listen to your heart, and good luck!
aubreyaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.