View Poll Results: Would you induce if you were me??!
Yes 37 37.37%
No 62 62.63%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-12-2011, 09:26 AM   #21
steph410
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Would you induce under these circumstances?

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516 View Post
If I was sure that I was going to have a large baby I would do everything I could to make sure the baby was in a good position, then labor without an epidural and with as much freedom of movement as possible, especially during pushing.
i know this and other advice given here is given with the best intentions, but every situation is so different. even without an epidural and total freedom of movement, you can't say for sure that it would not be dangerous to try to deliver an overly large baby, especially when shoulder dystocia has happened in the past.

good luck with everything OP!!

Advertisement

Old 06-12-2011, 10:31 AM   #22
ExpatMama1990
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by formunkyfrommommy
i said no but i want to clarify...i would not have a medical induction, i would try as much as possible naturally to induce though....when babies are bigger, induction can increase the risk of shoulder dystocia and other fetal stress issues because the baby is being forced out too quickly and it doesnt give your body the time to do what it is meant to do naturally which can lead to a seriously higher rate of c-section as well....i would try natural induction methods and wait to let my body do what it is meant to do naturally
I agree. I had a 'small' dose of pitocin near the end of my 43 hour labour, as my muscles were not working effectively to push DD out... The pitocin contractions were horrific (this was through an epidural too!!!!)... I would personally certainly keep trying with the natural methods, but I wouldn't go for a full on induction...

I think you need to weigh up your feelings for both options and decide which one you feel most comfortable with.

ETA: I managed to stay at home and deal with contractions for almost 30 hours with no pain relief, so I have a decently good pain threshold and the pitocin contractions were horrible for me.

Last edited by ExpatMama1990; 06-12-2011 at 12:15 PM.
ExpatMama1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 12:08 PM   #23
Truckerswife
Registered Users
seller

with my DD my water broke at 35 weeks after it broke the contractions i had been on bedrest for 17 days stopped we tried for 10 hours to naturally restart labor than my midwife started pitcocin it took 4 hours before i had her all natural no pain meds at all i was able to deal with the contractions even with the pitcocin
Old 06-12-2011, 12:26 PM   #24
MamaWillow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I haven't read all the replies, so hopefully I'm not being redundant. But...I wouldn't do a medical induction. Can you get acupuncture somewhere nearby? A massage with lots of pressure point work? Find someone who is experienced in these areas. Also, go to spinningbabies.com right now, and start doing the exercises to try and get your babe in the right position. There is a cool belly mapping thing you can do (on the website) that can help you determine what position the baby is in. Then you can act accordingly, there are many exercises and moves to help baby turn to the best position.

FWIW, my DS was 9lb 6oz posterior as well. I also had a whiff of pitocin. It was very painful. With DD2, I was terrified she would be posterior also. We didn't know how big she would be, but the guess was 8ish pounds by my doc. I did a bunch of spinningbabies stuff in the several days before labor, just in case she was turned the wrong way. Also a lot of walking. Oh, and acupuncture can help turn your posterior baby as well. Anyway, she ended up being 9lb 6oz, NOT posterior, no pit. And it was just.as.painful as DS. So....I guess my point is, posterior or not it can still be extremely painful. If you have birthed big babies before, IMO you can do it again. If I were you I would be avoiding a medical induction but be doing everything I could to "encourage" labor to start.
Rachel, SAHM to a 9yo teenager , a 4yo charmer , and a toddling koala bear , and wife to my hard-working hubs. Mostly AP, co-sleeping (with all 3!), BFing, quite crunchy, thrifty, curly-haired mama. Loving my life.
MamaWillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 01:11 PM   #25
JAG's baby mama
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by passthepickles View Post
I am 38 weeks +6 days (due on the 19th.) With 2 weeks left until my due date, an ultrasound estimated the baby to be a hair over 9 pounds. I know he is bigger than both of my other babies (9.5 and 10 lbs) because he FEELS way bigger to me. I have gained the least amount of weight out of all three pregnancies and I have new stretch marks all over my belly. I am enormous. Seriously. I have measured anywhere from 5-7 weeks ahead since I was 6 months preggo. This was me at 12 weeks:

And this was me at 37 weeks. (Face was for effect, and I don't really walk around like that, lol! But that IS a maternity shirt I am wearing... just to give you an idea!)

At any rate... I am scheduled for an induction on the 16th, which goes against everything I believe in- but see merit to the reasons. Just wondering what you guys think... would you induce if you were me, under the previous and following circumstances?

* Both of my kids were persistent posterior births, and my daughter was an unmedicated FACE presentation at 9.5 pounds. Terrible.

*My daughter had bad shoulder dystocia at birth, and we thought she had a broken clavicle (she didn;t, thank God.)

*I had pre-eclampsia with my son, and high blood pressure with both this pregnancy and my daughters. I am currently on magnesium and a beta-blocker to treat the pressure and another pregnancy related heart condition. At my last appointment, I had "trace" protein in my urine. My dr. said he would monitor me, but it wasn't something he was super concerned about.

*My Dr. is incredibly conservative when it comes to inductions and c sections (which is why I chose him.) He let my sister in law labor for almost 40 hours without going to c-section.

*He estimated (at 34-35 weeks) that my baby could potentially weigh up to 12 pounds at birth! An ultrasound I had at 35 weeks, put him at 8 pounds. My 38 week ultrasound put him at 9 pounds, but out of range for bone measurements. I don't expect him to be small based on my other kids births and the fact that I am almost 6' tall, and my husband is 6'3". I do understand that the ultrasound can be off by up to 2 pounds. So does my doctor...

*I am not due until the 19th, but both of my children were late. 14 and 4 days. Lot's of growing time left there...

-----
I am TERRIFIED of an induction. My Dr. (who has been an OB for almost 40 years) said he is very uncomfortable letting me even go to my due date with a baby that is *potentially* that large. Especially knowing how my labor was with my other children (he said sometimes the shape of your pelvis and birth canal may impact the way a baby turns during labor, but there is no real medical documentation to back that up.) I'm sorry, but having been through it twice, a HUGE baby in a posterior presentation scares the bejezus out of me. Especially if there is a possibility of a face presentation.

I just don't know what to do. I am all for natural and safe progression of things and part of me wants to refuse the induction and tough it out... but the possible outcomes are really weighing on me. HELP ME DECIDE WHAT TO DO!!!!

eta: I have been trying natural induction methods. Nipple stimulation, I had my membranes stripped on Thursday (obviously it didn't work.) I am taking oral and vaginal EPO, eating spicy foods, driving down bumpy roads, having lots of lovin' time with the hubby... I even drank castor oil which only succeeded in making me sick. I'm trying. Nothing is working, so far though.
Although I am totally pro-natural birth and I prefer that you not do any of the "natural" induction stuff you've done so far (because to me "natural" is not messing with the process at all), if I were in your shoes I would totally skip the induction and go right for the c-section. As others have said, induction will not change the presentation of your child (except maybe to make it worse).

Personally I think stuff like posterior/FACE presentations and shoulder dystocia are why we now have advanced medicine for deliveries.

If you were likely to have a normal delivery I would suggest you deliver normally, but as it is, that you have very complicated births, I'd rather that you and your baby come out healthy. To me, this is what c-sections were designed for.

Just my ...

Good luck with your choice mama.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:26 PM   #26
melodyjstray
Registered Users
seller

You're the only one who can make this decision, mama... and I know that you will use your intuition to make the best possible choice for you and your babe.

That said, while I have never been through delivering a posterior baby, I did have to be induced (for legitimate, fetal distress reasons) with my last girly, and I would never, ever, EVER choose to be induced with pitocin if I could at all avoid it.
Wife of Chris, mama to Evangeline (7/8/07), Cana (7/3/09), and Ruby Rae (6/25/11), follower of Jesus of Nazareth. Get free amazon gift cards: http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/melodyjstray Read my pointless ponderings: www.soggymama.blogspot.com
melodyjstray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 03:37 PM   #27
USMCgirl_05
Banned

My Mood:

I have been induced twice so I can't compare to going into labor naturally.

But...if I had to choose between an induction and a c-section I would choose the induction first.
USMCgirl_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 04:11 PM   #28
ashmomof4
Registered Users
seller

If you want an unmedicated birth I would not induce. If you have complete peace with having one or desire an epidural, and you are 100% certain that this baby is that huge, then I would probably consider it.

I have seen and heard way too many induction horror stories, and seen them result in unnecessary cesareans, to do it personally unless I felt like there was no other choice.
ashmomof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 04:16 PM   #29
ashmomof4
Registered Users
seller

I wanted to say that just because you feel bigger, doesn't mean he will be bigger, in my experience. My biggest baby was my first-I didn't feel that big, he was 9'9oz. My second baby I thought would be even larger (so did my doctor) and he was over a pound less-8'8oz. My third I didn't gain very much weight at all and my doctor (who did weekly u/s at the end) thought it would be much smaller lthan my previous 2, he estimated a "6-small7 pounder". I went into labor the day he told me that, and delivered an 8'14oz baby that same night. I gained the least weight for my last-so little that at 32 weeks he did an u/s to check the baby's growth(which was perfectly normal) and she weighed 7'4oz, two weeks early.
ashmomof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 04:16 PM   #30
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCgirl_05
I have been induced twice so I can't compare to going into labor naturally.

But...if I had to choose between an induction and a c-section I would choose the induction first.
I agree. I have had both inductions and spontaneous labor. An induction with Pitocin is more painful than spontaneous but IMO it's not comparable to the risks, inconvenience and pain associated with a c-section, especially when you have other kids. And pain is truly not something to base your choice on because everyone is different. You're gonna be in pain no matter what. My 1st two labors were seriously not painful except the last 30 mins but that 30mins was fast and furious. The last 2 were painful for hours but less panic. Some women can take hours of that pain, some women cannot tolerate 15 mins of the pain.