View Poll Results: Would you induce if you were me??!
Yes 37 37.37%
No 62 62.63%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2011, 02:55 PM   #41
AcrossTheUniverse's Avatar
AcrossTheUniverse
Registered Users
Formerly: ReiSapphireJade
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Arizona!
Posts: 5,026
My Mood:
Re: Would you induce under these circumstances?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrodjm View Post
No, I would not induce if the only issue was a suspected large baby. Induction doesn't mean the baby won't still be posterior or face presentation.
I agree. I was in a similar situation with baby #3 and I ended up going into labor at 40w1d and having an 11lb baby. But, his labor and delivery were quite easy, I was surprised he was that big when they weighed him.

ETA: He was born at home and I pushed him out on hands and knees in about 30 minutes. I imagine the pushing stage would've been very difficult had I not been unmedicated and able to get into different positions.

Advertisement

__________________
Heather, wife to James & mommy to:
Jaden (8.06), Mara (8.07), Fenn (5.09),
Elias (7.10), & Levi (11.11) 80lbs lost!
*i* Loved and Lost (6/12), (9/12), & (2/13) *i*

Last edited by AcrossTheUniverse; 06-13-2011 at 02:57 PM.
AcrossTheUniverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 03:19 PM   #42
justineybean's Avatar
justineybean
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,072
My Mood:
Re: Would you induce under these circumstances?

How scary The induction, and the idea of having a 12 lb. baby, posterior, face presentation. It's so hard to know what to do. Although your other births were difficult, I would say that it sounds like you are able to birth big, healthy babies. I guess you have to weigh the risks to you and your baby if the baby is really large vs. the risks of induction. For me, I would try to wait it out and try my best not to let the u/s and my doctor scare me. I went in for an NST/BPP at 41 weeks and the doctor offered me a c-section just because my baby was suspected to be big. She turned out to be 10 lb. 2 oz. but her birth was perfect and MUCH easier with quicker recovery than my induced birth with DS who was 9 lb. 4 oz. I hope 3 is a charm for you and you get an easier birth!!!

Last edited by justineybean; 06-13-2011 at 03:22 PM.
justineybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:16 AM   #43
klevmomma's Avatar
klevmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,497
Re: Would you induce under these circumstances?

I believe that in your circumstances, I would go ahead with the induction.

A lot of people said they wouldn't induce for a "suspected large baby", and I agree with that. But I don't think that you are considering an induction just because an u/s said you'll have a big baby. I think with your history, it is reasonably likely that you will have a big baby. Also, you have the BP and heart issues. It is all these factors together that would make me personally inclined to go ahead with the induction.

Now, having said that, I guess I would also do a few other things. First of all, I would want to know my bishop score. If I weren't favorable for an induction, I'd probably wait 2 days and then re-evaluate.

Additionally, I would also try whatever methods I could to get the baby into LOA position. I would go to spinningbabies and do the exercises they talk about and also read up / print out the materials on what you can do to turn a posterior baby during labor. I would also try chiropractic and possibly accupuncture.

Several others have stated that induction won't do anything about a posterior baby / face presentation, except possibly make those issues worse, and I actually agree with that. But, you sort of have to sets of issues - size/position/SD history AND BP/heart issues.

For these reasons, I would do whatever I could to get the baby in the best position possible, and then I would proceed with the induction as soon as my body was favorable.

Good luck to you, whatever you decided, mama! - it's tough, I know!
__________________
~Amy, Loving wife to E and Happy mama to
K 4/04, L 11/05, E 8/07, V 1/10, J 10/11, and E 5/13
klevmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:32 AM   #44
badhayrday's Avatar
badhayrday
Life is Good
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: FL
Posts: 1,881
My Mood:
Re: Would you induce under these circumstances?

I didn't answer the poll because I just don't know...I mean you have several factors that would make you a more likely candidate for induction but just because you are induced does not mean your already big baby will be in a better position. You still may have a face up baby and then on top of that you will have MUCH stronger contractions which will be MUCH more painful and also the stronger contractions combined with an unfavorable position for the baby will add more stress to the baby and when your baby doesn't handle those strong contractions well your chances of CS go way up. I am all for everything as natural as possible but honestly if I knew I had to take pitocin again I would seriously consider an epi. I just don't know if I have it in me to do that again. The pain was so much worse than my next two births. That being said an epi is not going to help you push out your baby so probably not a good idea either. Not trying to discourage you just being honest. I wish more people had been honest with me about certain things so I could have prepared myself beter.

Go to the chiropractor and the accupuncturist. The chiropractor can work wonders for helping your baby move into a more favorable position and the accupuncturist is a WONDERFUL way to start your labor without the pitocin. And even if you decide to go with the induction got to the chiropractor and check out spinningbabies.com and try everything in your power to get that baby in a better position. Check into it and good luck!
__________________
Jesus loving wife to Chris and crunchy mama to 7, 6, 5 , 3 and 9mo Swagbucks

Last edited by badhayrday; 06-14-2011 at 09:10 AM.
badhayrday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 01:12 PM   #45
eracheld's Avatar
eracheld
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,561
My Mood:
Re: Would you induce under these circumstances?

I would probably do it. It's only a few days before your edd. And with the chance of Pre-E and all the other things you mentioned, well I just think there are too many things going on to not go ahead and do it. I'm not a fan of induction either but it seems like that would be the healthiest thing for you and your baby. If it were just one of the things on their own I would say know, but with all of them together... it's just not a risk I would feel comfortable taking. GL with whatever you choose!
__________________
Rachel, DP to Taylor, Mommy to Joshua , Maddox , and someone new in Feb/March 2014!
Handmade Clothing & Accessories The Babby Boutique
Happy to have joined the

Scentsy team!
eracheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.