Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-12-2011, 10:43 AM   #11
dublinmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: ballet or gymnastics class for a 3 y/o?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimon View Post
For us - gymnastics. We tried both and dance was too structured and less energy consuming.
This was true for us too. We also found that the gymnastics classes around here had much smaller classes (4-6 kids) than dance (15-18) so that was nice too.

Advertisement

Old 06-12-2011, 10:53 AM   #12
EveryDayIsANewDay
Registered Users
Formerly: Stacey***ke3
seller
seller

My 4 y.o went to ballet/tap and gymnastics for one semester right after she turned 3. About halfway through we dropped the gymnastics. As much as she loves to jump around and so somersaults she just didn't really enjoy gymnastics as much. She lovedddd ballet and tap though. She did great at her recital, they did one ballet song and one tap and she learned most of her easy dance moves. If I had the money, she would be in it all year long.
EveryDayIsANewDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:54 AM   #13
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'd say gymnastics. My 3 year has done both at the Y and loves both. But ballet is way more structured and down to business. Not a problem for her because she follows directions well and usually sits and listens well. Some of the other kids in the class- not so much. Ballet is about discipline- even at the beginning level. If teacher is a ballerina there will be a lot of instruction and structure. Can be hard on a 3 year old. Gymnastics is less structured and really does give them the opportunity to get energy out.
jbug_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:55 AM   #14
mycdsqueaker
Registered Users
Formerly: juliasmom92905
seller

I think at that young an age gymnastics is better. There is more freedom to jump etc.....
Structured dance classes at that age.......I wouldn't.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:41 PM   #15
ambersrose
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We tried a ballet/tap/creative movement class and then switched to gymnastics because my three year old was not ready for the dance structure. Some three year olds can handle it, mine could not.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:16 PM   #16
pcjs
Registered Users

Gymnastics BUT at a real gymnastics center where they can go on the good equipment. I was going to switch (switched instructors) and some have special little kid areas vs. the one we go to we use the bigger equipment and my son loves the huge trampolines, balance beam and other stuff. It has helped improve his coordination. The only downside is he thinks everything/couch is a trampoline and loves jumping now.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:52 PM   #17
ralenth
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola View Post
My kid does both. I like ballet because she has to calm down and be purposeful. I like gymnastics because it gets the energy out. For us, ballet is $5 a class and gymnastics is $20, but DD likes gymnastics best.
This is us. DD is 5, but we started both at 3. From what I've seen, it also depends on the kid. Gymnastics seems to be better suited to kids who are very active/busy. DD enjoys both, but likes gymnastics best.
ralenth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 03:18 PM   #18
specialdelivery
Registered Users
seller
seller

I've been trying to decide between them as well for my 3 yo. I decided to do ballet through parks and rec strictly because of cost and availability. Depending on our experience, we may do gymnastics next session. Especially it's getting so many votes on here.
Mama to Ria 5/08, Wyatt 10/14/11 and expecting #3 in April.
specialdelivery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 03:27 PM   #19
ChelseaGirl7
Registered Users

Many studios offer a combined ballet tumbling class. It's like a 45 min class that does ballet half the class and tumbling half the class. Tumbling may not have the big equipment gymnastics does, but it would give you an idea which your kiddo preferred (or if she really loves both) and then you could go from there and put her in a different class next session if wanted. Also, I agree that if you can find a less rigid ballet class it might be better. Many studios have different types of preballet/ prek dance classes, my sister co-owns a dance studio and they offer a creative movement/preballet as well as a toddler dance class that is much less structured while still fitting in some dance moves. And if you think the preballet teacher seems to strict, see if they have a different teacher or look at a different studio to see if they fit your needs better.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:13 PM   #20
psylion
Registered Users
seller

My 3 y.o. Has done both and prefers gymnastics right now. She loves to jump and flip. The giant fasttrack trampoline is the greatest to her. She liked the dance too but she wasn't nearly as excited as she is about the gymnastics.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum