Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-12-2011, 06:12 AM   #1
shortstuff21313
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Allergies during pregnancy what can i take?

well the title is pretty self explanitory.lol. My allergies are the worst they have been in 12 years. What can I take. I am 32 weeks tuesday. the sneezing and congestion are killing me. in preveious pregnancies theywerent thisbad so i didn't take anything.
thanks mommas!

Advertisement

Holli! wife to DH steve, mom to DD1 ella 12/04, DD2 Hayden 3/07, DD3 Addison 2/08, DS1 Joey 2/10, DS2 Johnny 8/11 Blessed to be expecting #6 in september 2013. animal mom to Bullet our 2yr old weimaraner.
shortstuff21313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 06:24 AM   #2
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Allergies during pregnancy what can i take?

Most antihistamines are relatively safe. None have been shown to have bad effects, but some are safer than others, and have been tested for use in pregnancy, whereas some just have not been tested, even though they might be fine as well. I would go down to your pharmacy and ask them to recommend what the best one they have is. I hear you, I also get allergies and they are worse when pregnant. I take one that the active ingredient is 'dexchlorpheniramine maleate 2mg', i usually take half a tablet when I have to. I asked the pharmacist and she said that was the one she recommends for pregnant women, although others are probably ok as well. Her opinion was that most things sold OTC are pretty safe in pregnancy, although obviously don't take them if you don't have to, and ask your doctor if in doubt.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:37 AM   #3
newtodiaper78
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm 34 weeks now and I took Claritin when I got my allergies. The OB told me to take it only if I really couldn't deal with the symptoms. Plus, I also use Netti-pot on my nose to clear out the nasal passageways.

The other thing you can do is take a lot of foods with Vit C. it's supposed to help with the anti-inflammatory in your body. I also have a window fan to suck out all the air out of my house because of the pollen that came in through the windows or when the door opens.

But also ask your OB to see what he/she is comfortable with you taking at this point in your pregnancy. Different doctors have different opinions and recommendations.

Last edited by newtodiaper78; 06-12-2011 at 06:39 AM.
newtodiaper78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 06:37 AM   #4
newtodiaper78
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

double post...
Old 06-12-2011, 06:59 AM   #5
veveland
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Zyrtec and Benadryl are both safe. I've taken both (not at the same time ) and gotten plenty of relief.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:28 AM   #6
Sabriel
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My current OB and previous midwife both told me that Zyrtec is safe to take during pregnancy. I hope you feel better soon! Allergies are miserable!
Old 06-12-2011, 10:10 AM   #7
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I just got Zyrtec the other day because my allergies were so bad. I didn't take it y'day because I was feeling good but woke up this morning and wish I took it last night. Ugh. Zyrtec is on the safe list and works quickly without drowsiness, Claritin has to build up in your system first.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:37 AM   #8
ChelseaGirl7
Registered Users

Clariton is what my ob usually recommends, but I have been reading that zyrtec is safe as well. But I would ask your ob or at least the pharmacist.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:29 PM   #9
ho11yb
Registered Users
seller

Like others said, my OB said claritin, zyrtec, or benadryl are fine. She did recommend avoiding allegra just because its hasn't been around as long so the testing hasn't been done as much as on the others. If they are really, bad your doc could prescribe something too like a nasal spray with steroid that can really help-I took rhinocort Aq while pg with DS. It helped a lot and although it has steroid, since its a nasal spray, it's considered pretty safe.

Blame the typos on the iPad!
ho11yb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 01:14 PM   #10
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Yup. Most antihistmines are safe. Cat C or above. Thats what they treat severe mornig sickness with.

When in doubt go to safetus.com (may be .org) cant link on my phone. But it lists all medications and their catergory.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote