Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 06-12-2011, 01:27 PM   #11
Registered Users
My Mood:
Originally Posted by ho11yb
Like others said, my OB said claritin, zyrtec, or benadryl are fine. She did recommend avoiding allegra just because its hasn't been around as long so the testing hasn't been done as much as on the others. If they are really, bad your doc could prescribe something too like a nasal spray with steroid that can really help-I took rhinocort Aq while pg with DS. It helped a lot and although it has steroid, since its a nasal spray, it's considered pretty safe.
Allegra has been around as an Rx for a long time... Almost 20yrs? It just came out as OTC this year. It's actually on the safe list my OB gave me.

Kristi, Mommy to Josh & Nick (identical twins 6-97) Nathen (3-02), Joey (2-04), Jacob (11-05) & Aaron (12-11) I sell Tupperware!
"A person's a person, no matter how small..." Dr Seuss

Last edited by TwinKristi; 06-12-2011 at 01:30 PM.
TwinKristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 07:50 PM   #12
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Allergies during pregnancy what can i take?

I used to take Zyrtec when it was still prescription only - it made me exhausted and stupid until I halved my dose (which was the same as my father's despite him weighing twice as much as I did)... still gave me relief but I was just kind of tired instead of flat on my face. Might want to start with a half-dose if you go that route.

Personally, I can't say enough about air purifiers. They won't help you if you have to run a ton of errands, obviously, but even just one of the cheap HEPA ones you can get at WalMart makes an enormous difference. If you're strapped for cash, you can even just get one and move it from your living room to bedroom depending on where you're at.
Grateful mama to earth-baby DD2 (9/2011)
missing spirit-baby DD1 (9/2009, 3rd trimester) and the little ones who only stayed a few weeks

*TTC a sticky baby since Jan '15. Hoping DD1 returns to us!*
"Death can't stop True Love - it can only delay it for a while." - The Princess Bride
Ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:05 PM   #13
Registered Users

I took Zyrtec through both of my pregnancies. My allergies are severe and my midwife confirmed that it is safe. Take it at night for 24 hour relief and then you don't need to worry about drowsiness. It's the only the that works for me.
D, wife to B , momma to N 7/08 and A 8/10
Special Ed teacher
Come SWAG with me!
Pyrodjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 01:08 AM   #14
Registered Users
My Mood:

Zyrtec all the way! But take it at night because it causes drowsiness. It's a 24 hr dose, so you don't have to worry about taking another one 4-6 hours later. Baby's health is important, but so is mamas!

I have allergies and asthma and with my first pregnancy I was dying, not literally, but you get the idea. So the doc put me on flonase (which worked great) as well as other inhalers. I took it for my first 2 pregnancies and zyrtec for the last 3.
wife to C, my sailor
Momma to dd1 (9/00), dd2 (7/02), dd3 (9/06), ds the elder (4/08), ds the younger (8/11), and bonus ds (6/14)
ijgirl is offline   Reply With Quote