Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-12-2011, 09:55 AM   #1
FerventlyDreaming
Registered Users
seller

How do I know if DS has milk/egg allergy? *pics added*

I have given DS yougart for a while but this time I bought the same brand but plain instead of flavored and mixed it with fruit at home that he has tried before. He now has some weird bumps on him tummy (5-6) and a couple on his arm. It seems worse each time I try to give it to him. I have given him eggs and he will get a few red marks on his face and sometime on his tum. My confusion is why does he only get a few marks? I always wonder if there could be another reason for the marks as it doesn't really look like hives or anything. How do I know if it is a real allergy to milk or eggs or if it is just something else? Should I keep trying to give him milk products and eggs if he only gets a few small spots? DH and I do not have allergies to any of these things so there is no family history.

Here is a pic. I have him yogart today to see if he had a reaction and too pics(sorry I didn't read that he could have a serious reaction ) The first pic was taken at 12:10pm before he had any yogart. The second was taken at 1:20pm after he had yogurt. The spots are not that bad but they are there.

Advertisement

Last edited by FerventlyDreaming; 06-12-2011 at 11:43 AM.
FerventlyDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:08 AM   #2
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How do I know if DS has milk/egg allergy?

Sounds more like a skin allergy- to a detergent or soap. Take him to the doc and get him tested. If you suspect the milk or eggs might be causing it- DON'T feed him anymore until you get him tested. I wanted to know if there was anyway to see how my daughter might react to peanuts, she has never been exposed but tested highly allergic- we carry an epi pen. Doc said that it is impossible to predict an allergic reaction. And even if we did expose her reactions can change at anytime. Someone who has a mild reaction with one exposure can have a bad reaction the next time. My daughter has had several different reactions to cantelope ranging from mild redness around her mouth to oozing blisters covering her lower face- with the exact same amount of cantelope.

Please if you suspect he has food allergies- especially egg- have him tested. Better be safe than sorry.
jbug_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:49 AM   #3
FerventlyDreaming
Registered Users
seller

Re: How do I know if DS has milk/egg allergy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug_4 View Post
Sounds more like a skin allergy- to a detergent or soap. Take him to the doc and get him tested. If you suspect the milk or eggs might be causing it- DON'T feed him anymore until you get him tested. I wanted to know if there was anyway to see how my daughter might react to peanuts, she has never been exposed but tested highly allergic- we carry an epi pen. Doc said that it is impossible to predict an allergic reaction. And even if we did expose her reactions can change at anytime. Someone who has a mild reaction with one exposure can have a bad reaction the next time. My daughter has had several different reactions to cantelope ranging from mild redness around her mouth to oozing blisters covering her lower face- with the exact same amount of cantelope.

Please if you suspect he has food allergies- especially egg- have him tested. Better be safe than sorry.

I don't think it is a skin allergy because it changes so quickly. I have added pictures so you can see what I mean.
Old 06-12-2011, 05:36 PM   #4
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How do I know if DS has milk/egg allergy? *pics added*

If its happening and nothing is touching him or he hasn't had something recently applied then its probably not a skin allergy. Is he sitting in a high chair when you feed him? Strapped in? Never mind that wouldn't explain bumps on his arms. Definitely get him tested. The only person I know whose child had a milk allergy got bumps inside their mouth, but there all kinds of reactions. His spots don't look to bad- wouldn't think it was food allergy related if you hadn't noticed a pattern. Does he have problems with constipation? That can be a common symptom of a dairy allergy. Definitely have him tested to be safe- they can test by drawing blood, they don't have to do the skin stick test.
jbug_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 05:44 PM   #5
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Both my kids got milk allergy, and their reaction would be most obvious where the yogurt or whatever had touched their face... other than that I really wouldn't have known. You could try testing it by dabbing some yogurt on one side of his face and seeing if he gets a reaction there, that was how I diagnosed both of mine when I suspected it, and then had it confirmed with allergy testing.

This is a pic of my second daughter, right after eating yogurt, not sure if it is obvious from the picture but she has white lumps surrounded by red all over her chin, that's typical hives.
http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...d0dea5000e.jpg

Also just wanted to let you know that my older daughter outgrew her milk allergy around 3, and the baby outgrew hers about 14 months.... both are doing great now on milk products. However both of them were diagnosed as being a pretty mild allergy as they didn't get the vomiting etc that can sometimes happen. With my first daughter it actually took me about 3 months before i recognised it, because I thought maybe she was sensitive to something else as her reaction didn't seem typical to me.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:01 PM   #6
FerventlyDreaming
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebee View Post
Both my kids got milk allergy, and their reaction would be most obvious where the yogurt or whatever had touched their face... other than that I really wouldn't have known. You could try testing it by dabbing some yogurt on one side of his face and seeing if he gets a reaction there, that was how I diagnosed both of mine when I suspected it, and then had it confirmed with allergy testing.

This is a pic of my second daughter, right after eating yogurt, not sure if it is obvious from the picture but she has white lumps surrounded by red all over her chin, that's typical hives.
http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...d0dea5000e.jpg

Also just wanted to let you know that my older daughter outgrew her milk allergy around 3, and the baby outgrew hers about 14 months.... both are doing great now on milk products. However both of them were diagnosed as being a pretty mild allergy as they didn't get the vomiting etc that can sometimes happen. With my first daughter it actually took me about 3 months before i recognised it, because I thought maybe she was sensitive to something else as her reaction didn't seem typical to me.
Yeah I see the bumps on her face but that is what is weird no bumps on his face just his tummy and a couple on his arm. He is in the high chair but sometimes he has clothes sometimes he doesn't. He didn't this time because I wanted to see them appear if they were going to. It just seems odd that it is just on his tummy No major issues with constipation that I have noticed. Occasionally he will get it but I don't notice it being associated with milk products. The other this is when he eats eggs he gets more spots on his face around his mouth that go away within a couple hours. With yogurt it is only on his tummy and arms. I don't know what to think it seems odd.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:03 PM   #7
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My older daughter was also allergic to egg white for a while, she had the same reaction, I forgot to mention that, I think they commonly go together. It sounds like his reaction to egg is a mild allergy, it seems the same as my daughter's. It was nothing serious and I just gave her things with egg yolk only... and as she got older she outgrew that one too. I do think it is odd that it is just his tummy as well with the milk products! definitely ask your pediatrican, if it is only happening when he eats dairy then you have to suspect it, but it doesn't seem like a typical reaction. It does look like the kind of hives my kids would get, but they never got it anywhere else other than where the food had touched... (and I would guess inside their mouth, but difficult for me to see that one!)
Old 06-13-2011, 01:44 AM   #8
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
It might be something else. I would almost expect some cooperative issues along with the bumps. My dd has almost always had really nasty poops. And her rash started as a diaper rash that didn't go away with creams, and eventually spread down her legs, up her stomach, down her arms. It was bad. He may also have eczema, with just a mild dairy allergy. Limit exposure until you get him tested.

Check out my gallery! PM me for YYMN and other knitting needs.

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 06:02 AM   #9
abaigeal
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The only way to know for sure is to get him tested. Does he clear up when he doesn't have milk or eggs for a few days. My DD is very allergic to eggs, milk, peanuts and tons of other things. The only two symptoms she had were puking and hives. We found out when she was 6 months what her allergies were and she was just breast fed. When I stopped eating those things she cleared up and stopped puking. We are still finding new things that she is allergic to and the only reactions she has is hives now. I would definitely take him to the dr and have him tested. Allergies can be a very scary thing. Good luck

Wildtree consultant-feed your family healthier
http://www.mywildtree.com/abbycravillion/
abaigeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 06:52 AM   #10
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just want to add that tests are not always accurate! My DD1 had the skin tests done and came up positive to egg, milk (which were right) and pecans... however she had had all sorts of nuts with no problem. At that point I thought she wasn't allergic to eggs either, but later noticed she had a mild reaction... so the testing made me aware of it. However the allergist told me that with the eggs there can be up to 50% rate of false positive! I think if anything it excludes things... And then with the blood tests DD2 came up negative to everything, however clinically she clearly had a skin reaction and even the pediatrician said he would call it an allergic reaction. I never bothered to take her for the skin tests because we were in the middle of moving overseas etc and it was difficult to get in for a test, and i just didn't see it was necessary at that point, I kind of knew what it was and i didn't see any other reactions to any other foods other than milk.

Anyway so my point was just... maybe it's a good idea to get both tests done if you can? And then if you get a load of positives you may just have to take it with a pinch of salt, rather go by what you observe in your child than what the test says... kwim? They are useful diagnostic tools but can give false positives and false negatives.