Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-12-2011, 11:08 AM   #1
CalebsMome
Registered Users

My Mood:
After School Care Advice

This is long, and no flames about the job situation. I'm not asking for advice about that.

DH and I have worked at a group home for 4 years. I have a degree, and we're both looking really hard for jobs at home. However, we haven't been able to find anything. We've been looking for over a year. I'm almost finished with my Billing and Coding course, so we probably will be out of here soon. It's 6 1/2 hours in another state from where we live. My mom lives right beside us though. She is in very good health, very competent, and I trust her with my son, which I can't say about a lot of people. The thing is, school starts soon. DS will be in 5-K. The best solution we can come up with is to have DS stay with my mom when we are at work. We work a two week shift and then are home two weeks. It's not ideal, and it SUCKS, but homeschooling isn't right for us. One of us could get a job any moment. We have LOTS of resumes, calls, contacts, etc out there. We're pretty well connected in the community.We just haven't found anything yet. We are doing everything we can. Here's the thing: DS has been asked to be on the swim team. We've told him for quite a while that once he starts 5-K he can join. It's the #13 swim club in the nation. He has a nack I've never seen before for the water. This child can out swim any adult he has raced. (adult family members, not competitive swimmers). Anyway, my thinking is that my mom has to work. When we get home, we'll have to work. His age group practices at 4 pm. None of us will be off work in time. It's three times a week. He needs to do it though. He needs something he loves, is active, and is all year. Like I said, the child has a natural talent that caused them to ask him to be on the team. We waited year, because I thought 4 was too young. Here's the thing. My idea is to have a college or high school kid pick him up from school and watch him. We live across the street from the school. On swim team days, she would take him to swim team. By the time swim team is over, my mom will be home. He doesn't live in the district of the YMCA, so their after school program isn't an option. Is it irresponsible to have a high school or college person watch DS? I don't think it is, but my MIL from down under thinks it's horrible, dangerous, etc. I would get references from teachers, driving record check, and talk with their parents. I think it's okay, but am I missing something here?

Advertisement

Last edited by CalebsMome; 06-12-2011 at 11:11 AM.
CalebsMome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:42 AM   #2
MCR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: After School Care Advice

I think a high school or college babysitter is fine. Would they have to drive him somewhere for practice or is it across at the high school?
Old 06-12-2011, 11:59 AM   #3
mysticmomma1879
Registered Users
seller
seller

I think it's a fine idea.
mysticmomma1879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 12:13 PM   #4
CalebsMome
Registered Users

My Mood:

They would have to drive him to swim team. We live right by the elementary school. It's really just picking him up, taking him across the street to our house, and 3 days a week taking him to swim team. Swim team is about 20 minutes from our house, depending on traffic. There isn't a pool at the high school, only the YMCA's, and it's so highly ranked that for him to be asked, I think that's where he should go. Otherwise, it's only taking him less than .2 of a mile to our house. Literally, the bus doesn't even transport we're so close. I guess it's taking him to swim practice that she's worried about, but that's why I'd insist on talking to parents, teachers, and getting a driving record before having someone do it. The thing is. I don't need someone when we're home. Who would do that BUT a high school or college student?
Old 06-12-2011, 12:47 PM   #5
umphreysmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

I think that sounds fine. I babysat all the time at that age and sometimes did take the kids in my car. Also, maybe you could find a sahm if you are worried about the driving aspect.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:04 PM   #6
CalebsMome
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by umphreysmommy View Post
I think that sounds fine. I babysat all the time at that age and sometimes did take the kids in my car. Also, maybe you could find a sahm if you are worried about the driving aspect.
Would a SAHM do something like that? It wouldn't be steady, and it wouldn't be very much money. You can pay $60 a week or so to a teenage kid, but I'd hate for a SAHM to think I was using her. I guess I was just thinking doing this with one kid is no big deal, but if you had to cart a kid or two more, it might be a lot of trouble. Hmm.....I'll think about that. I'm e-mailing our youth pastor and the youth pastor at a church right beside the elementary school that also has their own academy. I'm not sure how I'd link up with a stay at home mom though.
Old 06-12-2011, 03:20 PM   #7
psylion
Registered Users
seller

That seems like just the sort of thing HS or college babysitters are for. Just make sure to get a copy of their driving record.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 06-12-2011, 03:49 PM   #8
doodah
Registered Users
seller

you could also talk to the swim team coach and get a recommendation. Try and find someone who already can recommend a teen or college student. Maybe another mom of a child already on swim team?
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 03:52 PM   #9
CalebsMome
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylion View Post
That seems like just the sort of thing HS or college babysitters are for. Just make sure to get a copy of their driving record.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
That's what I was thinking. I would have loved a job like this. It will start out as just when we aren't home, and then when one of us finds a job at home, it will turn to full time after school. It could turn into full time during the summer next summer as well. I'd have jumped at the chance. Every now and then I like to double check that my MIL is manipulating and crazy.... Her solution to him starting school was for us to move here, where we don't own a home, doing a job we're trying to leave, to be near them, but they move every 2-3 years sometimes up to 10 hours away from where they lived before. It's just not happening. Why move near someone who moves all the time instead of my mom, who is wonderful, and still lives in the house I lived in from 14 onward? Anyway, thanks for the reassurances that I'm not crazy. I had pegged myself for crazy before, but not with this
Old 06-12-2011, 03:54 PM   #10
CalebsMome
Registered Users

My Mood:

[QUOTE=doodah;13130879]you could also talk to the swim team coach and get a recommendation. Try and find someone who already can recommend a teen or college student. Maybe another mom of a child already on swim team?[/QUOTEI]

I was thinking about that, if anyone lives near us. We live two districts over, but there might be some senior swim teamers who have early dismissal who could do it. They would be going to the Y anyway later on anyway. There surely are some stay at home moms involved. There is also a homeschool team that practices during the day that might be a good place to look.