Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-12-2011, 01:48 PM   #1
Qbit
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Did you start preschool when you were 3?

Or did you even go to preschool? Lately I've had some chats with other moms of toddlers at the park and I've been asked a couple times now if my DS will be starting preschool in the fall. Nope! He won't even be 3 until December and I still feel like he's too young and wouldn't be ready. It seems so common for kids to start preschool at 3 these days. And yet, when I was little I didn't start until I was 4, and it seems to me that that was the norm back then. And I even knew some people growing up that didn't even attend preschool. They just went right to kindergarten when they were 5. So why are so many people starting their LOs earlier nowadays? Does anyone else find this a bit odd and unnecessary?

Advertisement

Old 06-12-2011, 01:54 PM   #2
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Re: Did you start preschool when you were 3?

I am 30. Didn't go to preschool. My kids didn't go to preschool.

People are very concerned with socialization now, which I think leads to the concern about kids being in preschool.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 01:58 PM   #3
FerventlyDreaming
Registered Users
seller

I did not go to preschool but started kindergarden a year early. I was a painfully shy child and this is why my son will be going to preschool at 3. It is not so much about learning abc but learning social interaction. I also babysit and go to moms group to make sure he gets used to other children since he is the only child in the home. It is good for kids to get a chance to learn to play and socialize with others.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:59 PM   #4
FerventlyDreaming
Registered Users
seller

but to add to that preschool is not the only way to reach that goal!
Old 06-12-2011, 01:59 PM   #5
Qbit
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hm, I thought it was a desire to have their LOs get a head start on education. My DS and I get out and about and do plenty of socialization. He's also always been a shy sensitive boy, so I never put him in situations that I know would be uncomfortable for him. I'm not concerned about socialization at all. I've seen him blossom so much and come out of his shell all on his own. I think we'll stick with the pace we're going at
Old 06-12-2011, 02:18 PM   #6
DarCoopsmommy
Registered Users
seller

We are starting my daughter in sept. That's when the new school year starts. She will be 5 in Dec so we are only doing one school year in preschool. She does fine learning colors, numbers things like that but I'm worried about her learning she can't do as she wishes but will need to sit and do what all the other kids are doing.
DarCoopsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 02:29 PM   #7
Dory
Registered Users
Formerly: Thing1 & Thing2
seller
seller

I never went to preschool. There were only daycares here then. I'd even venture to guess that aside from the preschool programs for delayed children at the public schools, that the "preschools" here are all actually daycares.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:30 PM   #8
CalebsMome
Registered Users

My Mood:

I did. I did Montessori. I must add that my mom was a SAHM before that. My dad turned abusive, and she put me in Montessori so she could get a job to make her own money. My dad made plenty of money ($100,000 a year in the very early 80's). I loved it, but I learned so much that until 3rd grade I was bored out of my mind.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:32 PM   #9
burnsis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

never went. where I grew up in Canada...we had jr kindy and sr. my parents just sent me to sr.

not sending my little ones to preschool....I stay at home, and don't see the need.

His body, his choice.
burnsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 02:33 PM   #10
coquelicot
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My mom SAHed with me until I was 3 1/2, then I got put into a daycare/preschool kind of thing. I officially started a private preschool when I was barely 4 (July birthday). I'm pretty sure it was a 5-days-a-week thing.

My DD, who turned 3 in April, will go to a twice-weekly MDO program starting in August. I guess you could call it preschool. I'll be honest--I'm putting her in it so *I* can get a break! My husband is going to be overseas for 6 months, and without any family in the local area, I don't have any automatic babysitters who will take her at a moment's notice if I need to get away for an hour or so. This gives me the chance to run whatever non-kid-friendly errands I need to, and perhaps just get some time for myself. DD loves being around other kids these days, anyway, so it's not like I'm prying her off me to get her to play with others. This summer, she's in a once-weekly program for the same reason.

When she turns 4? I will apply for her to the pre-K program at the local elementary school, but given that first priority is given to more disadvantaged kids, she can only get in if there's room after them. If there's no room, we'll look into a 3-day-a-week program at a local private school.

I just think there are some things that others can teach her that I can't. Like how to listen to someone besides me.