Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-12-2011, 08:44 PM   #1
corinne76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
How well do 3 y/o color/draw?

Ok, I'm trying to brag here. I really want to know.
DD loves to color and draw. I think she's really good at it, but I'm her mama. I think she's good at everything
She colors in the lines very well. When she draws, she draws people. THey're stick ppl of course, but she draws the cirlce with eyes and nose and mouth. a rectangle for a dress and stick arms and legs. she adds hair and purses sometimes.
Is she artistic or am I just being a proud mama? Just wanna know if we should encourage her, and think about schools that focus on art when she starts.

Advertisement

Old 06-12-2011, 08:50 PM   #2
mmmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How well do 3 y/o color/draw?

Develpmentally it sounds like she is a bit above the curve. It sounds like she is doing alot of pre schematic drawing which typically you see in children that are closer to 4.5-5 years old. It is very dependant on each child though. My son just turned 4 a few weeks ago, he details are not quite there yet but he writes his own name and his people are recognizable.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:50 PM   #3
bumminbeachbabe
Registered Users
seller
seller

My 3 year old colors in the lines and he is starting to draw more too. I'm leaning towards it being common.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:59 PM   #4
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My almost 6 yr old REFUSES to color inside the lines... he just doesn't want to, he'd rather scribble all over everything. He started drawning stick figures with heads and faces about 6 months ago. And just recently started drawing shapes.

God bless!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:02 PM   #5
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Dd1 mostly scribbled at age 3. She couldn't draw a circle or any other shape at all.

Dd2 draws wonderfully. Mostly in the lines. She makes a decent person, butterfly, animal (all her 4 legged animals basically look the same).
Rhianna'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:05 PM   #6
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Mine is almost 3.5 (i think just a month younger than yours...) but i think she is way above normal for drawing. She started faces at 24 months, by 2.5 was drawing stick figures complete with fingers, belly buttons etc, now she draws basically anything and in the right colours, it's very cute sometimes her interpretations of things. She will also say... draw herself in a specific dress and do the stripes or pattern on it. Coloring in she also does very well. Encourage it! I think it's great!!

24 months- her first picture, i was shocked! but then she did it again a few days later so it wasn't just a freak thing.

25-26 months

2.5 (maybe about 32months?)

recent
spider with a fly caught in the web, i love this one!

a rose garden (sorry it's on the side)

Last edited by jeebee; 06-12-2011 at 09:10 PM.
jeebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:06 PM   #7
smom050811
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ha! She must be a budding artist. My 2.5 year old is so cute, she scribbles and tells me its "Sean" or it's "Mommy". All I see are scribbles that look like tornados or something. It's great! Maybe, just maybe you have a little picasso!

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a harder battle. - Plato
smom050811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:16 PM   #8
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

P.S. I forgot to say... yes i do think it's a little advanced! My daughter was in a preschool with the age ranges from 2-5-3.5 in her class, she was one of the youngest and the only one who could write her name and the teachers were shocked at her drawings, they said they had never seen a 2 year old draw like that. I don't even think the 3 year olds were drawing anything really other than maybe a face.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:43 PM   #9
UnderTheStars
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My daughter LOVES to draw, and she isn't too bad at it if we let her do her thing - but even if we give her coloring pages she ALWAYS draws her own pictures on it, or turns the page over to draw "monsters" (her favorite thing). I've never once yet seen her color in the lines of anything, but that's ok by me! It sounds like your DD may have some talent, but more importantly if it's something she really enjoys then by all means - encourage her!
Old 06-12-2011, 09:54 PM   #10
lanwenyi
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have Kinder students who dont draw that well (even some who can't color except by scribbling). From my background in child development, I'd say that is on the advanced side. (Caveat: most of my study pertains to school-aged children; I only took 1 class in early childhood dev)

My 3.5yo mostly scribbles. She can color w/in the lines, draw a circle and rectangularish shapes, trace dotted drawings (not perfectly), and write her name (legible, but not neat, and very large). She does not draw people.