Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 06-13-2011, 06:33 AM   #1
Registered Users
Vanishing twin

First off, sorry if this is in the wrong place. At my first appointment ultrasound it showed baby bean and an empty sac about half the size of the baby's, by the next week it was gone. I was so happy to see baby that I kind of pushed it out of my mind. Now that I'm further along I find my self thinking about what could have been. I know in my head that a blighted ovum would never be a baby but I still think about it. Does anyone have experience with this? How did you deal with it? Thanks so much.

Angie, mom to beautiful boys A (5/01), H (3/10) and B (12/11). All children deserve to be vaccinated, it could save their lives!
GrazieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:00 AM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Vanishing twin

I don't have personal experience, but it is very very common. With early U/Ss people are detecting the vanishing twin earlier and more frequently. There isn't anything you could do or not do.
I make milkshakes in my yard.
Kriket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:22 AM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:

The best thing to do is take care of yourself and your feelings so you can care for the baby you have in the fullest. Try writing a letter to the vanishing twin or write a letter to your baby about the possibilities and your feelings. It may be quite cathartic. Have you talked to your partner, your prenatal care provider, anyone? Just talking about it may help.
Peace mama!
Lisa, Wife to Kenny, Mommy to Miah and Z.
Handcrafted Toys and Nursing Necklaces.
percussionsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:42 AM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:

Hi mama, first off let me offer some It sucks, no matter how early, or what the reasoning.

I do have first hand experience with this. With my first pg I had bleeding at about 8 wks and discovered 2 viable babies, via f/up us, both with strong hb's. At the next follow up us a few weeks later both babies still had strong hb's. At the 12/13 wk us, one baby had a strong hb and the second was an empty sac.

With my second pg I had an itial us at 9 or so wks, there was one with a strong hb and an empty sac. Both my 3rd and 4th pg's also had early us's because of past history, though there was never any sign of a second sac. Just the one baby.

I think it can be hard to think about, for me, I was very young when I experienced the losses and it happened so quickly I hadn't really bonded, if that makes sense. Now, I do think about it quite often and we talk with the kids about it. They both know they have a special sibling waiting in heaven for them. They like to assume that the baby would have been the same as them (girl and boy).

I hope this helps a bit.
Roberta~ crazy crunchy, sometimes soggy, wife to my love and mama to 4 little pieces of my heart and waiting on #5! If you can't find me, I'm probably hiding in the corner licking the beaters
babylovinmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:15 AM   #5
Registered Users
My Mood:

Something similar happen to me early on in this pregnancy (I am now 24 weeks) At my first ultra sound they found 2 fetal sacs but it was too early to get the heart beat.. They informed me it was going to be twins but a couple weeks later I had another ultrasound and we saw a tiny flicker and TWO additional sacs (one deformed, one empty) ... It was )then a few weeks later I had some bleeding.. I went to the ER (I lost my last two pregnancies in the second trimester so I was terrified) and they performed yet another ultrasound - which only showed a single sac, with a perfect heart beat (thank god) I did some research and found forums about "vanishing twins" apparently its VERY common, and most of the time it just isnt caught because woman dont have ultrasounds before 10-12 weeks as a general rule.

Its something that will always be in the back of your mind but the way I see it I'm just thankful for my daughter and the beautiful healthy little girl I have on the way and know that when its my time to go.. I have a lot more than just heaven to look forward to. I for sure have 2 babies that never made it and possibly Amelia's twin.
ForeverHis8223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:24 PM   #6
Registered Users
My Mood:

No personal experience with vanishing twins.... just lots of . A loss is a loss no matter what the circumstances; take care of yourself and allow yourself to grieve if you feel the need. I find that journaling helps me with my losses (1@32w and 3 before 6w), but if something else feels more "right" for the way you process, do that. Sometimes just talking and acknowleging your feelings can help.

Wishing you peace.
Ten is offline   Reply With Quote