Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-13-2011, 12:02 PM   #1
Stefibeth
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Hmm... is this going to be a problem? I may have had an oopsie...

I was washed my dipes today and after I got them all hung on the line, I realized that I made a mistake in my routine. Here's what I did:

Cold wash with 1 TBSP soap
Hot wash with splash of bleach (maybe 1/4 c., but probably a little less than that) (I usually add another 1 TBSP of soap here, but that's what I forgot!)
Hot wash with nothing

And then I hung them on the line and realized that I forgot to add soap to the hot wash. But I did have bleach in there today, but not a lot of it. I don't use bleach every time, which must have been why I forgot to add the soap!

D'oh!

So... do you think this is going to be a problem, the no soap in the hot wash thing? Maybe bleach + soap is a little redundant anyway? But then again... it wasn't a lot of bleach to begin with...

WDYT? I really hope I don't need to rewash what's out on the line...

Advertisement

Old 06-13-2011, 12:05 PM   #2
m&m&m
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Hmm... is this going to be a problem? I may have had an oopsie...

I think the only way to see if it will be an issue is to smell them. If they smell even a little off, I would rewash.

m&m&m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:19 PM   #3
poppan
Registered Users
seller

I would rewash but that's because I think 1 tbsp of detergent is way too little to get anything clean.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:23 PM   #4
sunfish75
Registered Users
seller

I think they will be fine, especially if it is sunny out. Sun them a little, that is natures bleach/disinfectant!
Old 06-13-2011, 12:26 PM   #5
littleleaf
Registered Users
Formerly: jcha***h
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'd do the smell test.

Honestly, that is a LOT of washing.... just curious why do you need to run 3 full cycles, rather than a pre-rinse, hot wash, then extra rinse. Were you having stinky issues?
SPOTS - new Thirsties and more ISO Jujube, Carters, Gymboree, Zutano girl clothes 18 months
littleleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:27 PM   #6
poppan
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleleaf View Post
Honestly, that is a LOT of washing.... just curious why do you need to run 3 full cycles, rather than a pre-rinse, hot wash, then extra rinse. Were you having stinky issues?
That is true.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:34 PM   #7
littleleaf
Registered Users
Formerly: jcha***h
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
I'd do the smell test.

Although, I will say that if I used bleach, I would also do the extra hot wash/rinse to make sure all the bleach is out...
SPOTS - new Thirsties and more ISO Jujube, Carters, Gymboree, Zutano girl clothes 18 months
littleleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:39 PM   #8
Stefibeth
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Usually I just do a cold pre-rinse with 1 TBSP soap, but I was actually leaving so I went ahead and set them to a full cold wash. The way my washer works (older TL) I don't have just a "rinse" cycle per se, the pre-rinse I usually do is the shortest cold wash that I have available, so today, since I was leaving anyway and time wasn't an issue I just let it go for a full wash, it doesn't take any extra water that way.

The extra hot wash was purely to get all the bleach rinsed out. 1 full, hot wash seems to rinse the bleach out better than cold rinses as I usually have to do multiple cold rinses vs. the single hot wash.

I'm having some ammonia issues, which is why I was using bleach today I was actually bleaching everything because I'm planning to start stuffing DS's nighttime dipes (the ones we're having the ammonia problems with) with some flats. I'm hoping that will help the situation, but I wanted to make sure everything was really clean first.

On "normal" days I usually do a short cold wash (pre-rinse) and then a long hot wash each with soap, no bleach.

I think I'm going to just go with it... I smelled them and they're okay I think.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:40 PM   #9
nurse&mom23
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I have to do that too ( extra washes). I have CRAZY hard water, tide gave us rash, every time I try a new detergent I try to drop part of the cycle. I wash every 2-3 days, I think if I washed daily I could just do a prerinse instead of a wash ( for the rinse it is basically 2 extra rinses instead of one I just do the extra wash so I can select my temp- all extra rinses on my machine are cold), but I would rather just push the buttons on the machine a few extra times instead of doing whole extra loads. So the way I do it now I don't have to wash daily, and I have ZERO stink or ammonia issues, i also cant remember the last time i stripped the dipes, so I am happy.
Sorry to digress OP... To answer your question if they pass the sniff test, I say go for it.

Last edited by nurse&mom23; 06-13-2011 at 12:44 PM.
nurse&mom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:54 PM   #10
poppan
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefibeth View Post
I'm having some ammonia issues, which is why I was using bleach today I was actually bleaching everything because I'm planning to start stuffing DS's nighttime dipes (the ones we're having the ammonia problems with) with some flats. I'm hoping that will help the situation, but I wanted to make sure everything was really clean first.
Seriously, try upping the detergent... that's probably why you have ammonia issues. Try 3-4 tbsp instead of just 1, and concentrate them in the wash part of the cycle (instead of 1 tbsp in the prewash and then 1 tbsp in the wash).