Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-13-2011, 01:57 PM   #11
Stefibeth
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Hmm... is this going to be a problem? I may have had an oopsie...

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppan View Post
Seriously, try upping the detergent... that's probably why you have ammonia issues. Try 3-4 tbsp instead of just 1, and concentrate them in the wash part of the cycle (instead of 1 tbsp in the prewash and then 1 tbsp in the wash).
I tried 3 TBSP a few times (for 2 weeks) and I felt like I was getting build up in the diapers, it definitely didn't help with smells, actually it was at that time that we started having ammonia trouble with the nighttime dipes , although I think it was just a coincidence.

Anyway, I went back to the old routine and it seemed okay, except I still have trouble with the nighttime diapers.

I know people suggest stronger detergents, but I'd like to keep using the kind I have been (homemade) if at all possible because it's super cheap and we don't have trouble with the diapers except with the overnights, which have only been a problem recently.

I don't know... do you think I should try increasing the amount of detergent, maybe to 1/4 c. even though the 3 TBSP didn't seem to work out? I guess I could try it. I'm skeptical about it helping with the ammonia problem though. I think it may help to stop using MF in the overnights. Every time I strip or use bleach the ammonia is gone, but by the next time I wash them it's back. Maybe I'll have to go to a stronger detergent eventually, but I'd like to hold off if at all possible!

Advertisement

Old 06-13-2011, 02:10 PM   #12
sixteen
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefibeth View Post
I tried 3 TBSP a few times (for 2 weeks) and I felt like I was getting build up in the diapers, it definitely didn't help with smells, actually it was at that time that we started having ammonia trouble with the nighttime dipes , although I think it was just a coincidence.

Anyway, I went back to the old routine and it seemed okay, except I still have trouble with the nighttime diapers.

I know people suggest stronger detergents, but I'd like to keep using the kind I have been (homemade) if at all possible because it's super cheap and we don't have trouble with the diapers except with the overnights, which have only been a problem recently.

I don't know... do you think I should try increasing the amount of detergent, maybe to 1/4 c. even though the 3 TBSP didn't seem to work out? I guess I could try it. I'm skeptical about it helping with the ammonia problem though. I think it may help to stop using MF in the overnights. Every time I strip or use bleach the ammonia is gone, but by the next time I wash them it's back. Maybe I'll have to go to a stronger detergent eventually, but I'd like to hold off if at all possible!
I'm new here, so I'm not sure if when you say ammonia issues, you have an ammonia odor after the dipes have been washed? We have a major ammonia issue before they go in the washer and I've solved it just by adding a big splash of vinegar to the cold pre-rinse. I am proud to say I actually used something out of all that gosh darn chemistry I had to take in school Ammonia is a weak base, vinegar a weak acid, they neutralize each other..
we use homemade detergent too, and have not had problems thus far.
sixteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:40 PM   #13
Stefibeth
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

The ammonia problem is before they are washed, after the clean diaper is peed in.

I've tried the vinegar before and it didn't seem to help. I know it can sometimes have to do with your water quality and I think our water is a touch hard, so that may be it. I'm glad it's working for you though!
Old 06-13-2011, 02:52 PM   #14
Sunny_mama
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
I would rewash but that's because I think 1 tbsp of detergent is way too little to get anything clean.
I wouldn't trust one tiny Tsbp in a washer filled with water and fecal matter to do the job.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:21 PM   #15
Stefibeth
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny_mama View Post
I wouldn't trust one tiny Tsbp in a washer filled with water and fecal matter to do the job.
I know that's the new sentiment around here, which is totally fine and I tend to agree with it, but it wasn't when I started CDing so I'm trying to adapt my current routine since I'm only having trouble with my toddler's night dipes at this time, to help fix the problem before I go all out and really change things up!

I'm scared to add more soap or switch to a new detergent because problems can arise from those options as well! That may be what I have to do eventually, just not where I want to start!

I'm going to try out the flats in his nighttime dipes and then go from there.

And also, the 1 TBSP thing is why I'm really questioning it. How can leaving out 1 little TBSP in all that hot water really change much? Especially considering there was bleach in the wash without it! I'm guessing the "non-washed" dipes will be fine.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:41 PM   #16
7lilpiggies
Registered Users
Formerly: 6lilpiggies
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
I would rewash but that's because I think 1 tbsp of detergent is way too little to get anything clean.
YAY I'm not the only one who feels this way !!!!!!!! It's like wiping your behind with a half square of tp, looks clean but isn't. Sorry i dont mean to offend everyone that uses a tbls of det. And i dont believe in the cold prewash!!! when you spray them i consider that the prewash, i wash hot/cold or warm/warm 2 full cycles 1 with calgon and up to 1 line of arm and hammer second wash with ecover, haven't had a problem sinc.