Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-13-2011, 12:51 PM   #1
Bethannp
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Help me weight this out.

I'm wanting to go back to work on a very part-time basis. I'm hairstylist and ideally I would like to work Saturdays from 8 or 9 until 2, possibly even alternating every other weekend between Saturdays and Sundays. I also want to work Monday evening, Wednesday evening or both. This probably sounds really ridiculous but I'm pretty unwilling to pay for childcare, so that's why my hours are so particular. If I'm paying someone to watch my kids, I'm not really making much.
So, with this in mind, I have basically 2 options.

A) See if I can get hired on at a chain salon with the availability stipulations I have. The pros of this are guaranteed wage, all of my supplies will be provided for me and I can depend on a fair amount of walk-in traffic. The cons are further drive from my home, not much flexibility when it comes to last minute needing time off (sick kid, no sitter, etc.)

B) My friend owns her own salon in a small town near where I live. She offered me chair rental for $50 a month. The pros to this are tons of flexibility in my schedule, and in an emergency I could bring the kids to the shop with me if I have a sitter bail or whatever, less of a commute and a friendlier environment. The biggest con is the upfront investment, I will need to buy some equipment (new irons, some capes, clips, combs, etc) as well as a complete color line and some product. Also, my wage will be variable, and I'll have very little walk-in traffic. I will basically be self-employed.

I'm having a hard time deciding between more steady pay or a work environment that will be more family-friendly. Also, the idea of self-employment is a little scary to me.

Thoughts? Opinions? TIA

Advertisement

Old 06-13-2011, 12:55 PM   #2
mixed_chica
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help me weight this out.

I would definitely say option 2.
With that you could at least write everything off in expenses!!!
I have never liked working for "the man!"
Good luck mama!
Old 06-13-2011, 12:56 PM   #3
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

If you did the second option with your friend... would she be able to make you a "get started loan" for supplies? Would that be an option? In that case you could print up some fliers and post them around your town. Give them out to friends.. etc.

You basically have to decide which is more important: No up front cost and better "traffic?" Or the flexibility that your friend offers, and having to work harder to drum up business?

I'm sorry I'm not more help than that. :Hugs:

God bless!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:03 PM   #4
Bethannp
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No, I don't think she could loan me the money, but I'm pretty sure I could swing it, I'd just hate to be out all that if I fail.

The first option is safe, but won't likely make me as happy. The second option is a lot bigger risk, but has the potential for a lot more reward. It's just kinda scarey.
Old 06-13-2011, 01:29 PM   #5
wlillie
Banned

My Mood:

Can you buy the stuff you need for the second option used and save money? Like on ebay or craigslist? Can you email the companies and tell them you are starting up and looking for samples for the color line?

I'd go for the family friendly work environment on this one and take the risk. Word of mouth is the best advertisement IMO for things like getting your hair cut and colored.
wlillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:35 PM   #6
Bethannp
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I might be able to get some of my tools at a discount, I'd probably need to pay full price for the color, but I wouldn't have to keep a lot on hand at all times.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:13 PM   #7
Sarai*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If possible, if option one is sounding appealing, I'd try to talk with some people actually doing it, make sure its not miserable. And if one doesn't work out, you could quit, and try the other.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:53 PM   #8
Bethannp
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarai* View Post
If possible, if option one is sounding appealing, I'd try to talk with some people actually doing it, make sure its not miserable. And if one doesn't work out, you could quit, and try the other.
I've done option one before. It's not miserable, but not exciting either. My worry is that I won't last long because all the salons in the mall are owned by the Regis corp, which I have worked for before and they are notorious for caring very little about their employees because they are basically a dime a dozen, easily replaced.

ETA - that makes it sound worse than it is. I think option A would make the most sense aside from the fact that it would require me to have a lot more reliable childcare than I am really able to get.

Last edited by Bethannp; 06-13-2011 at 04:11 PM.
Bethannp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 05:40 PM   #9
BSWmama
Registered Users
seller

I have no idea how much the supplies in option two would cost, but that does sound better in terms of the flexibility in schedule. Sounds like you could potentially work more hours and make more money. (Though I don't know about bringing little kids to the salon - honestly if I went to get a haircut and the stylist's toddlers were underfoot, I'd probably not go back). I have a friend who has a similar arrangement, though she uses some of her time at the salon to be the receptionist, so they waive the chair rental fee (and maybe allow her to use the salon's supplies, I am not sure?). She seems to keep very busy with regular clients though she only works one day a week.
BSWmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:02 PM   #10
Bethannp
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ideally I wouldn't bring them with me and wouldn't often, more it's just the security of knowing that if in a pinch I needed to I could. The other thing is that if someone needs something done on a day I don't usually work, with it being closer driving distance I'd have the ability to go in for just that appointment.

My biggest concern w/ option 2 is that I have been a SAHM for 3 year, and when I was working before it was in a different city, so I have no client base, it would all be building from scratch.