Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-13-2011, 01:24 PM   #1
mrosehughes
Registered Users
seller

My turn for the 'need help with naps' thread...

DS is 19 months. Up until about a month ago he napped pretty well at home (but has always napped pretty poorly at daycare). Our routine was ~3-4 hours after he woke up for the day (he usually sleeps until about 8am, so around 11) we'd go up for nap into the nursery (which has a rocker, but no crib, since the crib's in our room), he'd nurse, and then we'd rock for a few more minutes until he was asleep. Then I put him in his crib (or sometimes lay down and nap with him ) -- he usually slept for ~2 hours.

The past few weekends I simply can't get him to calm down at all for naptime. He wants to read read read, sometimes nurse, and then read more. Usually I tell him I will read one book (or two) and then it is naptime; when I finish reading and hold him to rock for the nap he screams/cries. I've let him cry (in my arms) for a little while (~20 minutes?) and he just doesn't seem to be calming down. Last weekend because of this I tried for an hour both days and then just gave up and he didn't get a nap (the second day I gave him a few minutes of 'quiet time' in his crib for my sanity). This weekend after trying for about half an hour I gave up and went for a drive and he fell asleep in the car.

After last weekend I was thinking perhaps he wasn't needing the nap anymore -- it is early to give it up, but not totally unheard of. He was more or less happy as long as I wasn't trying to get him to nap. But since this weekend he fell asleep in the car I'm thinking he still needs it but is just having a hard time relaxing enough -- the carseat forces him to relax because he's strapped in (unfortunately I'm not strong enough to hold him still while we rock).

Any suggestions?

FWIW, he's really pretty easy to get to sleep at night; sometimes we rock and sometimes I just lie down with him (he sleeps in his crib in our room or in our bed). His bedroom (where we rock for naps) is darkened, but not super dark, and I do think the light bothers him a bit, but short of black paper on the window I'm not sure what else we could do (we have wooden blinds). I'm fine with him crying while I hold him, but I will not do 'cry it out' with him by himself, in a crib.

They're starting naps on cots in daycare next month, and I'm so worried he's just not going to sleep there at all He already only takes a very short nap there (currently they rock the kids to sleep on their own, individual schedules).

Advertisement