Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-13-2011, 02:43 PM   #1
sleepydaisy
Registered Users
seller

*another question re:* ammonia and strong pee ???

Post #22 new question for ya. help me

So I have done everything textbook for trying to get rid of ammonia in diapers. I don't have ammonia in my 12 week olds dipes just in my 2 yr olds. So in using unscented natural sposies. I noticed his pee is really strong. Could this be why? I don't have any other ideas.

Advertisement

Last edited by sleepydaisy; 06-18-2011 at 08:46 PM. Reason: update
sleepydaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:48 PM   #2
littleleaf
Registered Users
Formerly: jcha***h
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: ammonia and strong pee ???

Yup, toddler pee is just stronger, more concentrated. Not much you can do except maybe convince him to drink more water... and use more detergent/hot water/rinsing in your wash routine to get them diapers clean. We have resorted to going back to mostly prefolds (were using fitteds for a while, but I found those were harder to get clean). In fact, I am probably going to destash all our more absorbent diapers because I felt they took a lot more washing to get them clean. I like the prefolds, flats, and MEOS.
SPOTS - new Thirsties and more ISO Jujube, Carters, Gymboree, Zutano girl clothes 18 months
littleleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:55 PM   #3
mrspnut82
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yup my dd (3yo) has strong pee too. She was getting nasty ammonia burns and you could smell it in her cloth dipes. Like gag me bad. She had blisters from it. Tried all different dipes, thought it was goodmama so I stopped using those but I think it's just her pee. I resorted to sposies for her. She only used dipes for nap and bed but it was a bummer to not be able to use cloth on her.
I'm thinking about trying cloth on her again and see how it goes now.
mrspnut82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 03:26 PM   #4
Stefibeth
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Oh yes, toddler pee is a whole different ballgame! We CD'd for a year with ZERO issues, perfect wash routine, yadda yadda and then we hit toddlerhood and NOW we're having problems. First it was with leaking (because they start holding it longer and then going a larger amount at one time, which is also why it gets more concentrated!) and now it's problems with ammonia. I'm currently trying to adapt our routine to banish ammonia from our nighttime dipes.

So far, the only thing that has worked for us is bleach

Tonight, I'm going to start stuffing his night and nap dipes with pad-folded flats to see if that helps as they're easier to wash and I'm hoping no ammonia will be left behind. If that doesn't work, I think we're going to have to go to a stronger detergent, but I think the MF in his nap/night dipes are the culprit and I'm hoping if I use something else it'll fix the problem.

GL!
Old 06-13-2011, 06:17 PM   #5
sleepydaisy
Registered Users
seller

Yeah that's what I thought..well it's annoying. I'd love to be able to use them overnight, but if they are on for more than 4 hours or so they are terribly ammonia ridden. I bleached and it didn't help..which I thought what I've ready is that most all people have had success with bleaching. I'd prefer not to bleach...but if it'd help I would've. Oh well..I might try a double flat and see what that does. It is just soo aggravating. It's terrible when your trying to do good by using cloth and then the ammonia can burn your kiddos bum. :-(
Old 06-13-2011, 07:02 PM   #6
Stefibeth
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I totally feel your pain! It's SUPER frustrating!

We were sailing right along with a perfect wash routine and BAM! Toddler pee messed everything up!

I hate bleaching too. I really wouldn't mind it if it was just a monthly thing, which I might continue doing since we've had trouble lately, but it only works if I use it EVERY time and I'm not willing to continue to do that without trying other things. It's a PITA because I have to do an extra wash cycle to get all the bleach out AND I have things in there that I really shouldn't be bleaching/I can't bleach so it's just a big pain.

Hopefully I'll find another option, guess I just have to experiment to see what will work!
Old 06-13-2011, 07:37 PM   #7
BoyCrazy
Registered Users
seller
seller

I had the same problem, had to put sposies on my 2 year old at night, then even his daytime diapers (only worn 2-3 hours) were starting to smell of it a little too. I switched to Tide and problem solved. It might not work for everyone but it sure worked for us!
BoyCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:59 PM   #8
poppan
Registered Users
seller

Wet pailing helped my night dipes a lot. I also washed with a good amount of Tide powder.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:29 AM   #9
sleepydaisy
Registered Users
seller

What if tide causes allergic reactions?
Old 06-14-2011, 12:41 AM   #10
poppan
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydaisy View Post
What if tide causes allergic reactions?
What detergent are you using now? Do you use something different on their clothes? I believe in using detergents with enzymes... I think they just do a better job of cleaning. I think Planet has enzymes. Country Save doesn't, but it seems to work well for some folks anyway. But I'd just start with whatever you use on their clothes, if that's different from your CD detergent. Or maybe just start with more of your CD detergent? (Depends on how much you're using now)