Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-13-2011, 04:48 PM   #1
megamomx7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Anybody have to start FF because of medical reasons (me)?

Was it hard to get lil one to take a bottle? What formula did you use?

Advertisement

Old 06-13-2011, 06:54 PM   #2
kalhayd
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anybody have to start FF because of medical reasons (me)?

I didn't have a medical reason. DS latch was horrible, he looked like a pumpkin from jaundice and it wasn't getting better, my bbs bled, cracked, and had a hole(I wish I was kidding) so we stopped at 4 weeks. DS took to it right away. No issues what-so-ever.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:00 PM   #3
BeckyP
Registered Users
seller

:wave2: I was never given the super power to produce milk. I tried for a little over 8 weeks and it never came in. We had to use Similac Alimentum because both my kids needed hypoallergenic formula

Last edited by BeckyP; 06-13-2011 at 07:03 PM.
BeckyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 06:38 PM   #4
megamomx7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh wow,sorry to hear that...I'm starting some meds and having a really hard time getting ds to latch to the bottle..I tried good start but his poop was like death...
Old 07-11-2011, 05:26 PM   #5
bluetmom
Registered Users

I developed a really severe nerve pain problem from biopsy scars in my breasts (which descended to both of my arms). It was horrible, but I had to wean my daughter cold turkey. She had a couple explosive green poos (I just heard about them because I ws in the hospital), but after that it's been just fine. She turned 6 mo today and is about 16 lbs and so healthy! She's been on Good Start the whole time.
bluetmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:59 PM   #6
pcjs
Registered Users

I would try Similac Sensitive or Good Start. The liquid and powder can be very different for kids so you may have to try a bunch of kinds before baby likes it. We've been having really good luck with the Walmart powder (but we started that at about a year as we had to do liquid/RTF) and their Sensitivity and later, Toddler formula is good. Its really hit or miss as you read on here about what people consider good formulas and those of us who have had to go through many have had our kids reject them. Each smell/taste/mix very differently even though doc's may say just pick one and stick to it (that didn't work for us till we got the right one).
Old 07-11-2011, 09:24 PM   #7
kocho
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I didn't have a medical issue, but my son did. He's missing a muscle in his mouth and never once was able to latch on.

Do you plan to go back to BF after meds? If it's only for a short time, you could cup feed. Even very small infants can be cup or spoon fed.

Just my thoughts hon. We used similac with my DS. It was a nightmare from the moment we switched. sigh. We ended up going to Isomil, which he did much better on, but still had tons of gas issues. Once we put him on regular milk he began projectile vomitting. We had to put him on Lactaid for another year or so. Thankfully he's outgrown all of that.

If you use WIC, I'd call and see what formula they provide in your area.

My Avon Earn giftcards with Swagbucks My Blog - Change Jar Blog
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:21 PM   #8
homeschoolingmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My youngest began refusing nursing when he was about 6 mos. It turned out that my thyroid was seriously out of whack (which can lead to milk supply issues). My body was not making hardly any milk and he was not interested in playing around, he wanted FOOD! So, for him going to the bottle was easy. We used Good Start formula, pedi reccomended it. Now, my daughter, who is 3 years older than ds, was super attached to nursing. I am almost positive that I had milk supply issues with her as well (in retrospect...) but she would not consider a bottle. I don't know what I would have done if we had to move to a bottle with her.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:23 PM   #9
homeschoolingmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by megamomx7 View Post
Oh wow,sorry to hear that...I'm starting some meds and having a really hard time getting ds to latch to the bottle..I tried good start but his poop was like death...
I think poop issues are not going to be uncommon when you change to formula (or between formulas).
Old 07-13-2011, 03:46 PM   #10
laughingfox
Registered Users
seller

I guess you could say I switched due to medical issues. I was a BFAR mama, and my milk shut down. I also had PCOS and thyroid problems.

My DD did worst on the sensitive. The regular milk-based worked so much better for DD's poop.
For some reason, regular was the *last* one I tried, and it was the only one that worked. Go figure. If you haven't given regular a shot yet, that's what I'd suggest.

Last edited by laughingfox; 07-13-2011 at 03:55 PM.
laughingfox is offline   Reply With Quote