Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-14-2011, 01:27 PM   #11
Sempergumbywife
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Anybody have to start FF because of medical reasons (me)?

My 2 older DD both could not nurse and I used Nestle Good Start DHA/ARA with them both and they did great. Some gas issues but not terrible. Whatever you try it needs to be for a few days before you change to allow the baby's system to get used to it and then see if baby is still having issues, gas, spit up. Both of my DD had issues with bottles. sorry no help there but with baby #3 now (2 month old) have given her Dr. brown bottle twice and she has done fine. Like that the air goes to the bottom of the bottle and not back into where she drinks so no bubbles in her milk to make more gas.

Advertisement

Sempergumbywife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:07 AM   #12
peacefulj
Registered Users
seller

I had to bottle because of medical reasons, and it was very hard to get dd to take the bottle. She hated it. Even though she was screaming hungry! She did eventually get the hang of it. I've been giving her goats milk with some good coconut oil in it and some probiotics. I feel like the probiotics helped her with the poop issue, esp at first. She was SUPER constipated.
peacefulj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:30 AM   #13
katelyn08
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We switched over completely at 9 months, my daughter was hospitalized at 8 months for Failure to thrive weighing almost 12lbs ( 9lbs at birth) While in the hospital she would only take 1 to 3 oz of formula ( after bfing.)

She is on Similac NeoSure and will be until at least 16 months. She is still struggling to gain weight ):

Last edited by katelyn08; 07-25-2011 at 03:33 AM.
katelyn08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:58 AM   #14
Sewing4Girls
Registered
seller

My Mood:

I think the younger the baby is when you switch, the easier it is. I switched dd to a bottle at 5 months b/c my blood sugar issues has become uncontrollable while bf'ing. She went to a bottle easily.
DS2 was another story. I found out when he was a year old that I would be having breast surgery in a month. I also knew that even though he was a year old, there was no way he was ready to stop nursing or having a bottle. So I switched him to a bottle. It was horrible b/c he didn't want a bottle, he wanted his milkies. But he finally took the bottle after screaming and crying for about 3 hours one night. He whimpered about it during his middle of the night feeding, asked for his milkies in the morning but then whimpered and took the bottle when I said no to the milkies. After that he gladly took his bottle and got so attatched that he didn't give it up until almost 2.5.
I used expressed breast milk and Good Start formula for 6 months and then switched to goats milk and eventually to water.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:47 AM   #15
suziq
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I switched with my DD at 8 weeks. I had several bouts w/ mastitis and have numerous antibiotic allergies, so merely treating and moving on was a bit more complicated for me. My DD also had a dairy allergy so I couldn't have any dairy. So, we switched to FF. She took to the bottle straight away with no issues. We used enfamil soy b/c at that time we only had the regular dairy and soy to choose from. HTH
suziq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 02:14 PM   #16
annabell215
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Have you tried to get him to Latch to a Safety 1st Breastflow Bottle? It simulates let down and it the most like a breast we have ever seen! It worked fabulously with my son and allowed me (after my son was tongue tied and had to get it clipped) to continue to breast feed even though we had stopped. I got my milk supply back and we went on from there. By far the best bottles on the market!
annabell215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:09 PM   #17
mmm0302
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had a month long issue with mastitis, several rounds of antibiotics - terrible time healing. I have large nipples (not an issue with my previous EBF'd children)and a baby with a small mouth who could not get all of the milk. These were issues we were dealing with (nurse, nurse with supplemental nurser, then I would pump remaining milk and syringe feed.) I think the mastitis was my body's way of telling me - ENOUGH. For the past 2 months, I've been pumping about 2/3 of what she eats, but have recently started weaning myself off the pumping, so she'll be on solids and all formula in another few weeks.