Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2006, 01:14 PM   #11
MamaMel's Avatar
MamaMel
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,783
My Mood:
Re: Spinoff... gentle discipline & so on...

I don't spank my DS I redirect him to something else. If he's really acting out or "throwing a fit" I give him a hug. I don't do time outs either I just remove him from the situation. Right now though, we are dealing with him hitting and trying to find the appropriate way to discipline that. Got some good advice from mamas on here. But he is finally learning that things hurt (from him getting "boo boos) so when I tell him that it hurts he kind of gets it.

Advertisement

MamaMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 01:35 PM   #12
mother4JC's Avatar
mother4JC
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Kansas
Posts: 12,248
My Mood:
Re: Spinoff... gentle discipline & so on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveblessings
We don't spank regularly, or for minor offenses. But we do believe it is an appropriate method of discipline sometimes. We also don't think it is inherently wrong because the Bible advocates spanking, so it fits in with our beliefs.
__________________
Amy~Wife to: Josh and Mother to: Levi 2/13/00 Lillie3/29/06 Ethan 10/4/07 Evie 5/2/10 #5 Custom wet bags, Nursing Covers, & Wipes Cases, blankets, leggins, onesies I ACCEPT PP & RME Like my facebook page Threaded Thingy's **
mother4JC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 02:00 PM   #13
Shannon's Avatar
Shannon
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 8,790
My Mood:
Re: Spinoff... gentle discipline & so on...

We use spanking in our house...along with other forms of disipline and positive reinforcement. I know I'm in a minority here but the term "gentle parenting/disapline" really bothers me(offends) because the opposite of gentle is rough and I don't like that if you aren't labeled "gentle" you automatically fall into the "disrespectful..mean" lable. I find it highly unfair to assume that because we choose to spank as one form of disipline.

JMO.
__________________
Currently Single mommy to Aspen (7), Chloe (5) and Layla (3)

Marrying my wonderful Fiancee' Rodney on 6/26/20010
[/COLOR]Expecting to TTC in July 2010
Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 02:01 PM   #14
ChurchPunkMom's Avatar
ChurchPunkMom
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Iowa
Posts: 2,507
My Mood:
Re: Spinoff... gentle discipline & so on...

No spanking here!
I am kind of curious as to why you say the Bible advocates spanking..
__________________
~Megan~ On Christ the solid rock I stand, all other ground is sinking sand.
Wife to 1 "People want the truth but never want the scars.." Emery
Mama to.. too many to list!
ChurchPunkMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 02:04 PM   #15
Shannon's Avatar
Shannon
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 8,790
My Mood:
Re: Spinoff... gentle discipline & so on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChurchPunkMom
No spanking here!
I am kind of curious as to why you say the Bible advocates spanking..

"Spare the rod, spoil the child"

amongst others
__________________
Currently Single mommy to Aspen (7), Chloe (5) and Layla (3)

Marrying my wonderful Fiancee' Rodney on 6/26/20010
[/COLOR]Expecting to TTC in July 2010
Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 02:05 PM   #16
ChurchPunkMom's Avatar
ChurchPunkMom
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Iowa
Posts: 2,507
My Mood:
Re: Spinoff... gentle discipline & so on...

The rod (or shebet) was used to gently guide the sheep - not for beating them into submission.
http://gentlechristianmothers.com/articles/rodstudy.php
__________________
~Megan~ On Christ the solid rock I stand, all other ground is sinking sand.
Wife to 1 "People want the truth but never want the scars.." Emery
Mama to.. too many to list!

Last edited by ChurchPunkMom; 06-07-2006 at 02:08 PM.
ChurchPunkMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 02:10 PM   #17
Carrie's Avatar
Carrie
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 690
Re: Spinoff... gentle discipline & so on...

I don't really consider myself an AP mama. We encouraged weaning (after 1 year), encouraged independent sleeping at 6 months, didn't babywear much until recently, etc. I'm very attached to my children, I just don't practice "attachment parenting" as I usually see it defined. We don't spank. Dh was spanked by a stepfather (fortunately a very short term one) and he doesn't believe in spanking. I don't want to be the meanie parent who spanks, and I wouldn't feel comfortable spanking in front of Dh, so I don't. I also feel like it could be a slippery slope for me and I might end up spanking more than appropriate, so I just don't go there.
__________________
Carrie (28), wife to Mark (31), mama to identical twin cuties Ethan and Ryan (27 mo.)
Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 02:10 PM   #18
Lucky Child's Avatar
Lucky Child
AKA The Evil Twin
Formerly: rrandle
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,949
My Mood:
Re: Spinoff... gentle discipline & so on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChurchPunkMom
The rod (or shebet) was used to gently guide the sheep - not for beating them into submission.
OK everyone, I'm going to put on my mod hat for a sec and give a friendly reminder before this gets out of hand...
Discipline discussions tend to get heated, which is fine, we are all adults, but just remember to choose your words wisely. This quote "beating them into submission" could be highly offensive in that is seems you may be implying that those who use "the rod" then "beat their kids into submission".
I do understand your point here, I just want to offer a word of caution to everyone to think before typing!
__________________
~Rachel~
Wife to Erik, Mommy to Bailey (10.29.04) Tyler (02.27.06) and Ryan (03.07.08)
Lucky Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 02:10 PM   #19
Shannon's Avatar
Shannon
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 8,790
My Mood:
Re: Spinoff... gentle discipline & so on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChurchPunkMom
The rod (or shebet) was used to gently guide the sheep - not for beating them into submission.
http://gentlechristianmothers.com/articles/rodstudy.php
Did I say beat into submission? I don't think anyone said that Also, look at the title of the link you are providing...GENTLE...hmmmBiased? Probebly. Put it doesn't matter anyway, you're not going to change my mind, I'm not going to change yours. Lets just remeber(everyone) that just because you don't agree with something doesn' make it wrong.
__________________
Currently Single mommy to Aspen (7), Chloe (5) and Layla (3)

Marrying my wonderful Fiancee' Rodney on 6/26/20010
[/COLOR]Expecting to TTC in July 2010
Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 02:10 PM   #20
lilmama2dsndd's Avatar
lilmama2dsndd
Boobies Broke? Gorilla Glue Em!!!
seller
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 4,515
My Mood:
Re: Spinoff... gentle discipline & so on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon
We use spanking in our house...along with other forms of disipline and positive reinforcement. I know I'm in a minority here but the term "gentle parenting/disapline" really bothers me(offends) because the opposite of gentle is rough and I don't like that if you aren't labeled "gentle" you automatically fall into the "disrespectful..mean" lable. I find it highly unfair to assume that because we choose to spank as one form of disipline.

JMO.
JMO but what would think of someone who hit you? That they were mean right? And that it was disrespectful? I know that if I started a new job that I didn't know anything about I would want someone to show me the correct way to do it instead of hitting me when I did it wrong. After all, our children learning to live life is like us starting a new job, neither has any clue as to what is what until we are shown.
__________________
SAHM to James (5 yrs) & Alice (3.5 yrs)
0*1*2*3 4
lilmama2dsndd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.