Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-14-2011, 01:54 AM   #1
5PrincessMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: Mrs_Brady
seller
seller

Dd took her cast off!

Ok so dd (8) was supposed to get her cast off last week. The only day/time they had available was the same time as her school performance. So I tried to make it for this week. The only day available this week is Thursday and we are leaving Thursday to go to arizona. That brings us to next Monday. I'm supposed to go on a field trip with my other dd that day. So this brings us to next Thursday. Dd found out and was poed! So what does she do? Pours a glass of water down her cast and then pulled the cast right off! I didn't even know that was possible! I think it's because her arm us skinnier when they first put it on. I have no idea why she poured the water or If that helped her get it off. I was shocked! She's like look I pulled my cast off, now we dont have to go to the doctor!

So now what do I do? Call the doc and explain my dd pulled her cast off? Or what? I'm so embarrassed! Nevertheless she's much happier and immediate jumped in the bath and washed her arm lol. Her skin is peeling and her arm is sooo skinny. It was skinny before but now it's the size if my five year olds. My main thing is I want to make sure it's healed properly. Should I make her wear a sling? I wonder if now they'll squeeze us in lol. I can't really be mad at her, she didn't have bad intentions just thought she solved the problem herself. Oh silly kids!

Advertisement

Old 06-14-2011, 02:01 AM   #2
MeCo7707
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Dd took her cast off!

lol - well if it wasn't healed it probably would have hurt like heck, but maybe call just so they can check it. And I wouldn't be embarrased - life was busy the doctor was busy and your daughter was just being brilliant and solving the problem
Old 06-14-2011, 02:02 AM   #3
wyoming butterfly
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Call and see if they can squeeze you in. If not I would have her wear a sling and take it easy til you check and see if it healed properly.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:17 AM   #4
5PrincessMommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

I really dislike this doctor anyway. I doubt they'll squeeze me in. When she went to get the cast on all the doc said was "we are going to put a cast on (which I already knew) and walked out! So I have a feeling it'll be something similar..like barely glancing at it (ok looks good) and walking out. I called the ped today to see if she could take it off, but she said she couldnt. I love my ped (she was mine when I was a kid now my girls) so maybe I'll just call her back and ask her what to do. She knows me and my crazy girls well she will probably laugh.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:17 AM   #5
5PrincessMommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Brady
I really dislike this doctor anyway. I doubt they'll squeeze me in. When she went to get the cast on all the doc said was "we are going to put a cast on (which I already knew) and walked out! So I have a feeling it'll be something similar..like barely glancing at it (ok looks good) and walking out. I called the ped today to see if she could take it off, but she said she couldnt. I love my ped (she was mine when I was a kid now my girls) so maybe I'll just call her back and ask her what to do. She knows me and my crazy girls well she will probably laugh.
I meant it's the orthopedist I dislike not her ped. If that made sense
Old 06-14-2011, 02:20 AM   #6
5PrincessMommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeCo7707
lol - well if it wasn't healed it probably would have hurt like heck, but maybe call just so they can check it. And I wouldn't be embarrased - life was busy the doctor was busy and your daughter was just being brilliant and solving the problem
It was kind of brilliant lol. I can't believe she got it off being wrapped around her hand and thumb and all and up her arm. And now her cast stinks since she poured the water down it and she wants to keep it so u told her it needs to air dry outside. She thinks it's awesome that her cast is perfectly intact. It kind of is lol
Old 06-14-2011, 02:22 AM   #7
wyoming butterfly
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well if they are not going to do an xray to see if it healed right I would just skip it. Just have here tell you if it is bothering her at all and have her checked then. When you have her go in for her next check up or school physical or whatever just let them know and have them make sure it is ok. If it did not heal right they will have to probably re-break it and re cast. So you might as well let her enjoy some summer with out as long as it is not bothering her.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:29 AM   #8
5PrincessMommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

She says it doesn't hurt at all, but I told her she still needs to be careful because it won't be as strong as it was because she hadn't been using those muscles. I said no gymnastics still for a while. Shes excited to be able to swim at least! I think I'll call and ask if they are going to do an xray and I'd they tell me no then I won't bother. But if they tell me yes then I'll take her in. She has state insurance and I really feel like they try to do the least amount possible
Old 06-14-2011, 03:02 AM   #9
T&Gmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

A cool trick the doctors taught my brother when he was in cast all the time (he got run over by a lawnmower had 26 surgeries and like 50 cast) was to soak it in alcohol to get the smell out of it then dry it out. Not sure how it'll work since it's fully intact though.
T&Gmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 06:22 AM   #10
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

Her bones won't be 100% mended for close to a year. The bones themselves aren't as strong and won't be for a long time.

If your daughter were in say her 20's, I wouldn't be terribly concerned about it. However, we're talking about a growing child. She's got somewhere around 80-100 more years on that arm. I know it's an inconvenience and the doctor was a jerk. But, even if she's not in pain, it may not have been ready for the cast to come off or there could be some issue. I would absolutely try to get her in asap or at least tell them what she did and ask the ortho doc's office whether anything needs to be done.