Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-14-2011, 08:34 AM   #1
kushie tushie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
What happens when...

You have a baby before you get you GBS test done?

My midwife does the test at 36 weeks (which I'll be tomorrow) but I just saw her today. So I have to wait till next week and I'm feeling like this baby could be coming soon. She's huge and measuring ahead. Well she really could be older then we think anyways b/c I don't know when we concieved. She was a surprise nursing baby...I have no dates to go by.

I'm just wondering what happens when you have a baby before they are able to determine if you are GBS pos or neg....TIA

Advertisement

kushie tushie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:38 AM   #2
Jasmini
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What happens when...

I didn't get AB during birth and my baby was born 2 days before the appointment where they would have done this test ..... but it might depend on the hospital

nappies and more ......cloth diapers, baby carriers and more... and find us on Facebook
Do you Scentsy?
Jasmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:55 AM   #3
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If you are birthing in a hospital they will probably treat the baby with antibiotics just-in-case you are positive. It depends on hospital policy, though. It would be good to find out what your hospital does.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:29 AM   #4
Jasmini
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

They did a blood culture, but no AB right away (culture was neg).

nappies and more ......cloth diapers, baby carriers and more... and find us on Facebook
Do you Scentsy?
Jasmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:37 AM   #5
GwenV
Registered Users

My Mood:

Is it a necessary test? I had the choice for it with the midwife (I did get it) but it was not mandatory here in Ontario. If it's not mandatory I don't think the hospital will worry too much, it might be more of what you are comfortable with. The problem is that the chances of the baby getting infected are small but there is always a risk. Best of luck with your decision. Chances are though you'll make it to the next appt no matter how big you are unless you have a history of going early. Gestation is 40 weeks b/c most go that long. (I'm sitting here at 38 wks and a big baby as usual but hoping it might be a little early )
G
GwenV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:59 AM   #6
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If you're in the hospital or birth center then they usually give you the antibiotics through a IV while you're in labor. And then baby will be monitored and might get a round of antibiotics as well. If it's a homebirth, then likely nothing. Baby might still be monitored by your MW and if there are concerns then you'd take baby into the hospital. Some women never get the GBS test done, it's not common in other countaries. They just monitor baby.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:56 AM   #7
kushie tushie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks everyone! I was just curious to know how that would go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GwenV View Post
Is it a necessary test? I had the choice for it with the midwife (I did get it) but it was not mandatory here in Ontario. If it's not mandatory I don't think the hospital will worry too much, it might be more of what you are comfortable with. The problem is that the chances of the baby getting infected are small but there is always a risk. Best of luck with your decision. Chances are though you'll make it to the next appt no matter how big you are unless you have a history of going early. Gestation is 40 weeks b/c most go that long. (I'm sitting here at 38 wks and a big baby as usual but hoping it might be a little early )
G
My midwife just does the test. She didnt give me the option. I think in the US they have too do it if you birth in a hossy. So they can treat for the infection when you are admitted.

My son was born at 37w5d...on his own, unprovoked. I was asking more b/c I'm on a crappy appt schedule. I'm seeing my midwife the day before I week up. So I saw her this AM and she wouldnt do the stupid test b/c I wasnt 36 weeks yet (I will be tomorrow). So I wont see her again till 36w6d. Then I wont get the test results back till 37w6d....if I make it that long. So if I go in to labor before I get the results I wont know if I need to head to the hossy early for antibiotics. Which will mean that I wont be able to early discharge (hossy rules..ugh).
kushie tushie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 02:16 PM   #8
badhayrday
Life is Good
seller
seller

My Mood:

Last time my MW forgot to do the test and realised at my 39wk appointment where she noticed I was already 5cm but still not in active labor. I had was neg with all previous pregnancies and we knew the results would not be back in time so I didn't have it. I delivered at home with the MW though so I didn't have to worry about hossy rules. Good luck
Old 06-14-2011, 03:16 PM   #9
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: mama***ms
seller
seller

My Mood:

They can test for GBS during labor... here's a thread that touches on that:

http://diaperswappers.com/forum/show....php?t=1223976
Old 06-15-2011, 11:40 AM   #10
jillybeans
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I never got the GBS (homebirths) and when my water broke at 35 weeks and we transferred to the hospital, they were automatically going to IV me with a/b. Luckily, she came too fast and the doc never even made it (lol) but that was the standard procedure.