Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-15-2011, 11:36 PM   #11
tesslouise
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: What happens when...

I wasn't tested for GBS (planned a homebirth with a midwife who didn't test). We transferred 20+ hours into labor and I was given antibiotics due to a) them not knowing my GBS status and b) my water having been broken for 20+ hours (though we lied to the hospital and told them it had only been broken for 12 hours). I'm guessing either one of those things would have been reason enough for antibiotics according to hospital policy.

Advertisement

Amelia, married to Bear since 12/31/04; our daughter Rowan was born 8/6/09; our daughter Sapphira was born 8/17/12; due with DD3 6/17/15 (but after one two weeks late and one three weeks early, I'm not expecting a due-date baby!)
tesslouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:52 AM   #12
klevmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushie tushie View Post
Thanks everyone! I was just curious to know how that would go.

My midwife just does the test. She didnt give me the option. I think in the US they have too do it if you birth in a hossy. So they can treat for the infection when you are admitted.

My son was born at 37w5d...on his own, unprovoked. I was asking more b/c I'm on a crappy appt schedule. I'm seeing my midwife the day before I week up. So I saw her this AM and she wouldnt do the stupid test b/c I wasnt 36 weeks yet (I will be tomorrow). So I wont see her again till 36w6d. Then I wont get the test results back till 37w6d....if I make it that long. So if I go in to labor before I get the results I wont know if I need to head to the hossy early for antibiotics. Which will mean that I wont be able to early discharge (hossy rules..ugh).
If you get the test at 36w6d, I gather that you mean you won't get the results until 37w6d because you won't have another appointment until then. But that doesn't mean your MW won't have the results before then. So, let's say you get the test at 36w6d, then go into labor on 37w5d (before your next appt). I think it highly likely that your MW will have the results in your record. With my HCP, I am supposed to call before going to the hospital. In your case, once I knew or even thought I might be in labor, I would call the MW and explain that I might be in labor but that I don't have the results from the GBS test yet - could she look it up and let you know so that you know whether or not you need to hurry to the hospital. Also, I believe the hospital gets a record of the result too, so that they know who needs treated. If you are in labor and your MW can't tell you, the hospital might be able to.

I know that doesn't answer the original question, but thought it might help you have a bit of a plan.

As far as the original question, I think it really depends on the hospital, and I would just call up their L&D and ask what standard procedure is in that case. Good luck, mama!
Old 06-16-2011, 08:57 AM   #13
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

is there any way you can just go in today for the quick test?
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 09:35 AM   #14
kushie tushie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by klevmomma

If you get the test at 36w6d, I gather that you mean you won't get the results until 37w6d because you won't have another appointment until then. But that doesn't mean your MW won't have the results before then. So, let's say you get the test at 36w6d, then go into labor on 37w5d (before your next appt). I think it highly likely that your MW will have the results in your record. With my HCP, I am supposed to call before going to the hospital. In your case, once I knew or even thought I might be in labor, I would call the MW and explain that I might be in labor but that I don't have the results from the GBS test yet - could she look it up and let you know so that you know whether or not you need to hurry to the hospital. Also, I believe the hospital gets a record of the result too, so that they know who needs treated. If you are in labor and your MW can't tell you, the hospital might be able to.

I know that doesn't answer the original question, but thought it might help you have a bit of a plan.

As far as the original question, I think it really depends on the hospital, and I would just call up their L&D and ask what standard procedure is in that case. Good luck, mama!
I hadn't thought of that. The group has 9 midwives and any can deliver the baby. I guess I'll have to call them early to get my results if I haven't had my appt yet. Thanks!
Amanda- wife to DH. Mama to W (2010), L (2011), H (2013) & expecting #4 Jan 2016
kushie tushie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 09:37 AM   #15
kushie tushie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensmom
is there any way you can just go in today for the quick test?
My groups office is 35 mins away, so I would prefer not to drive all the way up there...oh and they are the busiest practice. Its so annoying! When you call then you are usually waiting up to 45 mins for the receptionist....so frustrating! Don't know if I will use them again. So I don't know if I could even get in if I wanted too.
Amanda- wife to DH. Mama to W (2010), L (2011), H (2013) & expecting #4 Jan 2016
Old 06-16-2011, 03:42 PM   #16
cinderella08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It will highly depend on the hospital. Some hospital's protocol is just do a culture on the infant and observe, some just observe and only do a culture if baby shows signs of infections, and some hospitals give prophylactic antibiotics to the newborn.

From a recent GBS thread:

What are the risks if I do nothing if I'm GBS+, or do not test at all?

Some women prefer a "wait and see" approach. They choose not to have IV antibiotics during labor, or use alternative treatments. They may prefer to just have the newborn watched closely for any signs of infection and treat if necessary. According to the CDC, women who do not get antibiotics during labor, have a .5% chance (1 in 200) of the baby developing Group B Strep disease. 6 percent of those who develop a GBS infection will die. Six percent of 0.5 percent (of those not treated that contract GBS disease) means that three out of every 10,000 babies born to GBS-positive mothers given no antibiotics during labor will die from GBS infection.
Expecting Oakley Lennon in March 2015!
cinderella08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 03:44 PM   #17
todzwife
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

When my water broke w/ DD1 before I had the GBS done, they treated me like I had it. Unfortunately, that meant my preemie daughter got massive doses of antibiotics, which I blame for her severe stomach issues, but that's another thread entirely.
todzwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:04 PM   #18
Pyrodjm
Registered Users
seller
seller

With DD2 I went into labor the day before the prenatal appt that we were gonna test for GBS. I had my had my nice normal home water birth. My water broke as I pushed her out. I only pushed for 4 minute total, 3 pushes altogether. I forgot about the GBS test until my 3 day PP visit. When I asked my MW about it, she said that since my water didn't really break ahead of time and we avoided internal checks it wasn't a concern. She also said that the chance that the baby would be infected is very small even when the mother tests positive. I know people that have skipped the test altogether I wasn't overly concerned.
Pyrodjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:41 PM   #19
kushie tushie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Great info ladies! Thanks!
I'm not sure why I'm so nervous about GBS this time around. I was GBS neg last time and just dont know what to expect if I'm pos. And since I'm getting my test done at 37 weeks it makes me nervous.....