Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2011, 01:49 PM   #11
momnixon's Avatar
momnixon
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 875
Re: Baby is no longer alive but I still have rising HCG levels... Need Advice!

definitely do a repeat u/s, but listen to your doctors... my mil refused to have a d&c at 18 weeks and never did deliver naturally, went in much later with an infection and they finally did the d&c, but missed some placental bits that had disconnected already and those got REALLY infected and caused some major issues where she almost died. then, she never got pregnant again 'cause I think her uterus had just been through way too much.

So, while it is absolutely hard to let the baby go (i've been there and I'm SO sorry for you), if you're SURE there's no heartbeat be very careful about your decision, you don't want to mess up your chance for future pregnancy.

Again, so sorry for you and your family. ::

Advertisement

__________________
~~Lauren~~
SAHW to one wonderful husband, and Mom to
Thing 1 (08-10-08) and Thing 2 (12-24-09) and Little Girl (11/10/11) and a new bean 10/13.
I'm an accidental hippie who loves BFing, CDing, Milkshakes, and Jesus.
momnixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 01:57 PM   #12
Michelle_M's Avatar
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Arlington, Tx
Posts: 15,899
My Mood:
Re: Baby is no longer alive but I still have rising HCG levels... Need Advice!

I would tell the doctor that if he wants you to have the D&C, then you insist on having a US JUST TO MAKE SURE.

I would go for the D&C. I had a missed abortion (where the baby stops developing, but your body does not expel the fetus). I had alot of heavy bleeding. The doctor did the D&C. While it's not a fun procedure by any means, it ensures that all of the tissue and placenta is gone so that you don't get an infection. And also, it's "nice" to know that you're through it and can focus on your emotional healing.

So sorry for your loss mama. It sucks when this happens.

God bless!
__________________
Christian wife to my hubby, mamma to three little men and a little lady!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 02:09 PM   #13
badhayrday's Avatar
badhayrday
Life is Good
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: FL
Posts: 1,881
My Mood:
Re: Baby is no longer alive but I still have rising HCG levels... Need Advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by purna079 View Post
insist!!! we are talking about a life here and your offspring, not the docs...Id also let it happen on its own. Ask the doctor how much greater of a risk? Ask for some numbers, cause I bet its like the difference is something like 0.2% ...
This!!! Definitely get another US because you need it to have some closure and to just be sure. And if the risk is minimal I would wait a little longer just to see if my body would realise what's going on but of course if the risk is great then I would get teh D&C even though I wouldn't want to....but only after another US I'm so sorry
__________________
Jesus loving wife to Chris and crunchy mama to 7, 6, 5 , 3 and 9mo Swagbucks
badhayrday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 02:25 PM   #14
spencerrn's Avatar
spencerrn
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Terre Haute, IN
Posts: 676
My Mood:
Re: Baby is no longer alive but I still have rising HCG levels... Need Advice!

Just wanted to mention at this gestational age you could also have a "chemical" start to a more natural miscarriage. You do not have to go through surgery the down side is that if the miscarriage isn't complete on its own or you start bleeding heavy you may need the D & C anyway. I too would insist on another U/S and maybe even one done with a better U/S machine. Not all U/S machines are the same and not all technicians are the same.
__________________
Rachael
wife to Doc since 99, SAHM to Alexander 00,Nathaniel 02, Zachariah 04, Benjamin 07, Christopher 09, Grace 11 and Sophia Jane 10/12.
home waterbirth and NOCIRC!!
spencerrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 02:43 PM   #15
AnimalHouse's Avatar
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: mama***ms
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Georgia
Posts: 6,426
My Mood:
Re: Baby is no longer alive but I still have rising HCG levels... Need Advice!

I'm going to ditto everyone else and say you should insist on another ultrasound.

If there isn't a heartbeat, I would schedule a d&c. I understand wanting to let things happen naturally, but there can be some serious risks if your body doesn't acknowledge the miscarriage. I was lucky enough to avoid d&c's with my losses, but I would have done them in a heartbeat if my body didn't "finish" the miscarriage naturally.

mama.
__________________
Trying-to-stay-sane mama to four boys (5/07, 10/09, 7/11, and 11/12)
AnimalHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 02:46 PM   #16
wyatt09's Avatar
wyatt09
B/T with caution
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: B/T with confidence! :)
Posts: 2,053
My Mood:
Re: Baby is no longer alive but I still have rising HCG levels... Need Advice!

insist!!!!
wyatt09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 02:49 PM   #17
ARW2's Avatar
ARW2
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 209
My Mood:
Re: Baby is no longer alive but I still have rising HCG levels... Need Advice!

Thank you so much for your input and kind words everyone! What a great support group!

I just talked to the doctors office and I have an appointment in the morning to talk to the doctor about my options. I have been mostly dealing with my midwife until this point and she has basically written me off to the doctor they use for these things and said it is up to him. Hopefully he will be cooperative!

I will stand firm on the fact that I want an U/S first if they insist on a D & C! Thank you so much for helping me feel confident enough to stand up for it... Sometimes doctors can be so intimidating!
__________________
Helpmeet to DH Earl and Mommy to DD Audrey (8) and DS Earl(6) and my newest blessing Opal Rose born 12/16/13.
ARW2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 03:09 PM   #18
IsaacsMom2009's Avatar
IsaacsMom2009
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Orange, CA
Posts: 4,919
My Mood:
Re: Baby is no longer alive but I still have rising HCG levels... Need Advice!

My last m/c I waited several weeks and made them do SIX different ultrasounds during that time to make absolutely sure. Asking for one more is not unreasonable. If they keep frowning at you, ignore them, like a PP said, if you don't confirm it for yourself, you will always wonder if you 'killed' your baby... those doctors wouldn't have to live with that... you would... so let them frown, and insist on getting your answers
__________________
Kearson: Mama to DS (03/09). I leave feedback if it is left for me first, due to my issues with people doing it incorrectly. Can't stand those yellow notepad icons .
IsaacsMom2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 04:49 PM   #19
ho11yb's Avatar
ho11yb
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 3,163
Re: Baby is no longer alive but I still have rising HCG levels... Need Advice!

I would insist on another ultrasound or 2. I had a similar situation, diagnosed miscarriage, but never lost the baby. My OB monitored my hcg for another couple of weeks and my levels were still going up, but not as quickly as they want to see. After several ultrasounds showed there was no growth (in fact it got smaller) and no heartbeat, I did have the d&c, but they also did a final ultrasound just before the d&c to reassure me that there wasn't a chance of the baby being alive.

Also, my OB agreed with my decision to wait a couple of weeks to see if I'd lose the baby naturally. I was 11 weeks along though, and she said the risk of infection/hemorrage was high if I waited much longer than that. (Don't know how true that is, just what I was told). If you really want to avoid a d&c, ask about waiting for your body to resolve it naturally. There's also a medication they can rx (off label) that works for some to start your body to miscarry. It didn't work for me, but I know others who it did work for. I did find though that I was an emotional wreck while waiting & it was almost an awful kind relief after the d&c was done and I could start to move through my grief.

I hope you have a better outcome than I did, but regardless, you have to feel comfortable with the decision to have a d&c and never wonder whether your baby was really gone or not.
__________________
Holly, mama to Lucas (2) and Owen (11/23/11)

Blame the typos on the iPad!

Last edited by ho11yb; 06-14-2011 at 04:53 PM.
ho11yb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 06:44 PM   #20
momof3boys1girl
No Longer Here
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 21,967
My Mood:
Re: Baby is no longer alive but I still have rising HCG levels... Need Advice!

Glad you are going in the morning. and you can TOTALLY stand up to that ob..LOL.. just imagine him in women underwear when you are talking You dont happen to know what your levels are? And how much they are rising?
momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.