Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-14-2011, 12:16 PM   #1
ReturnMeHomeAgain
Registered Users
seller

PLEASE HELP!!

Ok I am back in school for 7weeks and my ebf daughter is 19weeks.

My problems is she is refusing any and all bottles at daycare. I started trying them 2 weeks before and I tried every brand possible and every type of nipple possible. I even tried her on a few different sippy cups. I've tried warming the nipple too. Yesterday was her 1st day and she refused everything. They tried to cup feed her and she aspirated ssome so they wont cup feed her. They are trying to spoon feed her too but she's so hungry she wont swallow it and it just drips out of her mouth and she gets really irate bc shes so hungry.
I sent 6 2oz containers of baby cereal mixed with oatmeal so she can arte least get something. I really dont want to put my daughter on foods all day then bm the rest of the time. I know for the first year the majority of their nutrition should be bm.

So what on earth can I do to get her to take a bottle?

Advertisement

ReturnMeHomeAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:40 PM   #2
THBVsMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: PLEASE HELP!!

Have you tried Breastflow bottles? I wish I had more advice to offer, but DD never really took to a bottle, although I only tried a handful.

expecting our 2nd baby
girl next March

THBVsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:51 PM   #3
abaigeal
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DD never took a bottle either and still doesn't. We tried for so long but I was home with her for almost 6 months before going back to work full time. We found that the Think Baby bottle worked best it has more of a sippy cup type nipple. She still doesn't drink much when I am not home (she's 15 mo now). She started to reverse cycle and nursed all night long when I was home and went her longer stretches during the day instead of over night without eating. She will eat when she is hungry. Give it a little while she will come around. Hopefully. My DD is a healthy happy 15 month old and only drank 1-3 oz while I was at work for 8 hrs some days. But she made up for it at night let me tell you.

Wildtree consultant-feed your family healthier
http://www.mywildtree.com/abbycravillion/
abaigeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:08 PM   #4
SenoraE
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaigeal View Post
My DD never took a bottle either and still doesn't. We tried for so long but I was home with her for almost 6 months before going back to work full time. We found that the Think Baby bottle worked best it has more of a sippy cup type nipple. She still doesn't drink much when I am not home (she's 15 mo now). She started to reverse cycle and nursed all night long when I was home and went her longer stretches during the day instead of over night without eating. She will eat when she is hungry. Give it a little while she will come around. Hopefully. My DD is a healthy happy 15 month old and only drank 1-3 oz while I was at work for 8 hrs some days. But she made up for it at night let me tell you.
I had a reverse cycler too. Just stayed attached all...night...long... I kept joking with my family that he's lucky he's so darn adorable. Eventually we got back closer to normal, but he still eats less than 4 oz at each feeding, and only takes 2 feedings while I'm at work all day. On the upside, it's easy to keep up pumping because I only have to produce 8 oz to stay even / ahead. Have you tried pumping and feeding her the pumped milk right away so it's the same temp as when she nurses? Is she at the same angle / position to bottle feed as when she nurses? Both my boys use the BreastFlow bottles. GL!
Old 06-14-2011, 08:14 PM   #5
beci24
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have the best luck with playtex dropins with the brown latex nipple . It seems softer like the breast so my kids took it well. good luck momma
Old 06-14-2011, 09:00 PM   #6
Truckerswife
Registered Users
seller

my DD will only take Dr brown bottles and she has only taken them for about a month
Old 06-14-2011, 10:22 PM   #7
ReturnMeHomeAgain
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenoraE

I had a reverse cycler too. Just stayed attached all...night...long... I kept joking with my family that he's lucky he's so darn adorable. Eventually we got back closer to normal, but he still eats less than 4 oz at each feeding, and only takes 2 feedings while I'm at work all day. On the upside, it's easy to keep up pumping because I only have to produce 8 oz to stay even / ahead. Have you tried pumping and feeding her the pumped milk right away so it's the same temp as when she nurses? Is she at the same angle / position to bottle feed as when she nurses? Both my boys use the BreastFlow bottles. GL!
Yeah she seems to be hanging off my boob all night, thankfully we cosleep! She drank 1oz today that they spooned into her mouth. I spent almost $100 buying all kinds of different bottles/nipples. Breastflow was actually the worst. I've tried her laying swaddled like she's going to breastfeed then someone said have somebody else give it. Then I tried sitting her up in her bumbo bc someone said make it different then bf'ing. I just feel horrible taking her to daycare knowing she just cries all day. They said she just cries and cries, each time I've been in she's crying. I had been hoping daycare would get her onto a schedule and help her start sttn or at least better than the 4-6x she wakes.
She's completely attached to me now too. Usually she's all giggles for my mom but she wanted none of it today and just screamed till I picked her back up. She even screamed through her bath which she normally loves...
I just feel helpless and retched

Destashing Grovia shells, soakers, boosters, bioliners & wipes. Also cloth trainers!

http://s754.photobucket.com/user/Nur...ary/ds%20goods
Old 06-14-2011, 10:45 PM   #8
clothdipesrcool
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My heart goes out to you and babe. Hopefully with each passing day she will eat a drink a bit more. I watch my nephew and he also refused to take a bottle. I would drop my sister off at work at 8 am and pick her up at 2 pm. He would maybe get 1-2 ozs throughout the day. She never really tried to bottle feed him though. I would have someone feed her with a bottle on the weekends as not to lose what progress the daycare workers made. Are you able to visit during your lunch hour? Have you asked your employer for a longer lunch to make that visit? Good luck!
clothdipesrcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:57 AM   #9
ReturnMeHomeAgain
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by clothdipesrcool
My heart goes out to you and babe. Hopefully with each passing day she will eat a drink a bit more. I watch my nephew and he also refused to take a bottle. I would drop my sister off at work at 8 am and pick her up at 2 pm. He would maybe get 1-2 ozs throughout the day. She never really tried to bottle feed him though. I would have someone feed her with a bottle on the weekends as not to lose what progress the daycare workers made. Are you able to visit during your lunch hour? Have you asked your employer for a longer lunch to make that visit? Good luck!
I'm in class and my longest break is 20mins, just enough time to pump while I eat sitting in a stupid toilet stall. Today is day 3 so hopefully it goes better.
Thanks I'll definitely stay with my mom this weekend so she can keep trying bottles!

Destashing Grovia shells, soakers, boosters, bioliners & wipes. Also cloth trainers!

http://s754.photobucket.com/user/Nur...ary/ds%20goods
Old 06-18-2011, 01:25 PM   #10
SenoraE
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturnMeHomeAgain View Post
I'm in class and my longest break is 20mins, just enough time to pump while I eat sitting in a stupid toilet stall. Today is day 3 so hopefully it goes better.
Thanks I'll definitely stay with my mom this weekend so she can keep trying bottles!
Have you contacted HR or admissions? When we went on a college visit (I'm a teacher), they said the easiest place to pump would be the changing rooms / sports area. HTH!