Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-14-2011, 01:09 PM   #1
EmmaLaurel
Registered Users
seller

Infant seat or straight to convertible?

We are trying to decide what to do with a carseat for the newbie. We did an infant bucket seat with DD, but she screamed bloody murder in it for five months before we finally got a convertible and she LOVED it. We think she liked being more upright. She's still in that one, obviously.

We don't have the infant seat anymore because we gave it to my cousin and his wife who were expecting their first last year - they tragically lost their baby at 35 weeks and I wouldn't even think of asking them if we could have it back.

So we have to buy one regardless. I like the idea of being able to move baby in and out of the house in the seat, though we never did this with DD since the seat made her so miserable. With the convertible, though, I like the idea of just buying one seat that we will use for years and years.

What are you thinking carseat-wise with your February newbie?

Advertisement

Old 06-14-2011, 01:14 PM   #2
3MonkeysMomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Infant seat or straight to convertible?

We will definitely be doing infant seats just because they will be born in the middle of winter in Pennsylvania. I like not HAVING to take them out of their seats if we are running in somewhere fast and being able to buckle the little ones in the house where it is warm...it saves a little bit of time outside in the cold. If I lived somewhere less cold I can definitely see advantages to just getting a great convertible.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:22 PM   #3
andyoly82
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
DS is only 18 mo old and I purposely got a gender neutral set that I love so I can use it again. Like the PP said I like being able to leave the baby in the set when doing errands or even if the baby falls asleep when we arrive home I don't have to disturb the LO
Old 06-14-2011, 01:33 PM   #4
Fitter
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

we use an infant seat, JIK they fall asleep or whatnot, otherwise I usually put them in a carrier. I have to get a new car seat for this baby b/c our old infant seat has expired.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:25 PM   #5
azsugargirl
Registered Users

I vote for infant seat, with two you will want to be able to take the new baby and put them asleep into a car seat stroller or take them into the house. If they sleep. My DD was always like that didn't like to be in carseat for the first 2 months. She ended up having severe reflux. She was put on meds and then was fine and finally started sleeping longer than 30 minutes as well. By this stage I was thankful I had it. I could transfer her straight to the car seat stroller and take her in restaurants and walk around with her remaining asleep. We have a convertible now but we didn't put her in it til 10 months. I think it is a personal decision though. You could also probably find a car seat program near you and get one for free. Most big cities have a local hospital where you can sign up for a class and they give you an infant seat free.
azsugargirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 04:33 PM   #6
trying4more
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We will use our infant seat from DS! I think it just easier to move baby around during the first weeks!
trying4more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 05:18 PM   #7
heavenlyblessedmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Our infant seat doesn't expire until Dec. 2012, so we'll go ahead and use that until we can purchase a convertible car seat when we get our taxes back. If we didn't have the infant seat we'd go straight to a convertible. I never take the infant seat out anyway because I put baby straight into a wrap out of the car.
Teresa, Married To My High School Sweetheart, Dustin, Since May 30, 2007. Mother To Philip Kael, Born February 12, 2008, Marshall Conner, Born February 12, 2009, Hunter Andrew, Born March 7, 2010, Warrick Devlin, Born February 7, 2012, & Elizabeth Lorelei born May 27, 2013
heavenlyblessedmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 05:56 PM   #8
cjslater1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think we are going to get a convertible this time. I am looking at the combi coccoro. I plan to baby wear mostly so I won't need to carry around the infant seat anyway.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:54 PM   #9
amberpayne27
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We'll try the infant at first just because I have one that I used with the first 2 that won't expire until 7/2012. But, dd2 HATED the infant seat and I always just took her out and put her in the ring sling, so we'll see.
Jesus lovin' wife to my 3rd grade sweetie and Homeschooling mama to my funny little 5 year old diva, Kelsie ,Stella Mae, my 2 year old wild child and Judah Jenkins, our sweet miracle rainbow baby born 11/3/12
Missing our tiny love bugs 6/11, 4w4d and 10/11, 9w1d
amberpayne27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:32 PM   #10
sbdf13
Registered Users
seller

we started out my son in a radian. We have 2 so the newbie will be in that for a few weeks then we will buy her her own seat. Myride maybe? I guess we will see if anything new is out by feb
sbdf13 is offline   Reply With Quote