Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-17-2011, 02:49 PM   #121
mpfanny
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I need to understand something about those not bf.

Sorry I've jumped in at the end here with all the quotes. I've been following the thread for a few days while my rear end healed from the butt-chewing I received the other day.

Advertisement

mpfanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 06:42 PM   #122
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfanny View Post
Absolutely. To the bolded, we do! Eats on Feets and Milkshare. I've donated over 4000 oz personally to 5 different babes and one 9 year old chemo patient.
You rock mama! I was never a good pumper. I could feed my son great, but when I pumped I got maybe 2 oz combined! Had it been more, I would donate too! I think it's so wonderful!
Terra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:28 PM   #123
*Peanut*
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtojande View Post
That's another of what I think are the oversold benefits of breastfeeding. Breastfeeding reduces the rates of ear infections -- but it is just one of many factors, and definitely no guarantee.

My son got some formula along with nursing for 7 months, then all formula. My daughter was only breastfed. Both have had some ear infections, not an extraordinary number but not zero either.

Not really wanting to harp or sound anti-breastfeeding. It's just that overselling the benefits can lead to some of exactly what this thread is about -- BFing moms not comprehending how anyone could decide against such a wonderful, perfect experience. The reality is that it's not easy for everyone, not everyone enjoys it, and it doesn't work miracles on the baby's health (usually).

The flip side of that, is that certainly for a long time in American history, people were oversold on formula and on the concept that breastfeeding is too difficult. So I realize a lot of the BFing info out there is meant to counter that, to show people that it really is achievable for many/most women, and to provide info on how to make it work. It's just important to keep a little perspective, if you really want to understand why other moms make other choices.
Can I just stalk you and write: after all your posts?
Old 06-18-2011, 09:01 AM   #124
jemilyon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by amzasmommy View Post
I'm a bfing mama, but my guess would be people do it b/c w/ wic it's not expensive and it may be easier for them to leave the baby w/ others. Unfortunately I think some people also can't get past boobs as sexual objects.
This is SUCH a good point! I didn't even THINK of that.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:05 AM   #125
jemilyon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeDeeLenae View Post
I breastfed my ds2 for almost 2.5 years. From the time he was 6 months old until he was 2, he had monthly ear infections. Sometimes double ear infections. His doctor was ready to put tubes in his ears. Then, we moved, and he never had another infection. I wouldn't blame the ear infections solely on whether a baby is bf or ff.

He also passed horrible gas for the first weeks he was born, and didn't poop for over a week after leaving the hospital. Xrays confirmed there was no blockage, just gas. And he was 100% bfed.

...and my nephew wasn't just constipated for a weeks. He's had poop issues since they switched him. When he tries to pass a bm it is very difficult for him, almost seeming painful.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:01 AM   #126
mycdsqueaker
Registered Users
Formerly: juliasmom92905
seller

some people don't want to. End of story. We don't need to understand why people make the parenting choices they do.

And you're asking bf'ing moms why some people ff?
Old 06-18-2011, 12:06 PM   #127
momof3boys1girl
No Longer Here

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootnomadeatsfree View Post
A lot of the reasons I can come up with have already been stated, but also: a lot of people are under the impression that formula is just as good as breast milk...and if it's just as good, well, why not, right? It's "easier", you don't have to "flash" the whole world to feed your baby, and it "gives Dad a chance" to bond with the baby...plus, "same exact health benefits"!

My dd was FF after 6 weeks bc i went in for a weight check and they said "give her the formula or we admit her" I had NO experience no more information then what the nurses told me at the hospital Looking back i quit to easy but i cant change that i can only learn from it. I stopped nursing ods at around 8ish months so went longer than i did with dd but again had no real info on the real benefits and he finished his first year FF. NOW yds. I went from day 1 of finding out i was preggo to LLL meetings and had TONS of friends around me nursing and nursing toddlers. The support was FINALLY here for me. I went through a very very very hard time nursing yds. He was FTT and ended up getting donor milk till he was 6 weeks and my supply picked up. I refused to stop no matter how upset i was no matter how much i hated my body for not "doing its job". If this is what many moms go through and the support isn't there i can see why FF would be easier.
momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 12:11 PM   #128
*Peanut*
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycdsqueaker View Post
some people don't want to. End of story. We don't need to understand why people make the parenting choices they do.

And you're asking bf'ing moms why some people ff?
Umm hmm.
Old 06-18-2011, 12:17 PM   #129
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:
Some babes are allergic to mama's milk, too. My brother projectile vomited for weeks before my mom found out, as did my sister. She didn't even chance it with me, I was formula fed.

Sent from my myTouch 3G Slide using DS Forum
Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 12:31 PM   #130
an_aurora
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillargh
Some babes are allergic to mama's milk, too. My brother projectile vomited for weeks before my mom found out, as did my sister. She didn't even chance it with me, I was formula fed.

Sent from my myTouch 3G Slide using DS Forum
That is a myth. Most likely baby was allergic or intolerant to something in the milk.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
an_aurora is offline   Reply With Quote