Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-14-2011, 11:29 PM   #11
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Re: I need to understand something about those not bf.

Because like every other decision in life, cost, environmentally friendliness, and health reasons are never the only factors in any decision.

I am a cheap person. I consider myself thrifty, my mom says I can squeeze a nickle out of two pennies. I have a small collection of homemade cloth dipes, because it's a free way to stretch out the use of my sposies. And, I BF my now 9 month old, because it's free.

But, despite the fact that free is often the biggest factor in my decisions, it's not the only.

I know that most appliances can be found on CL or freecycle, in great working condition, for free. However, a few months ago, I caved and spent $125 on a fridge. Because I needed something right away. For that decision, the immediate need outweighed the cost factor. Obviously not completely, as I only paid $125, rather than $1225 (as I saw in an ad today.)

I coupon somewhat heavily because I can get lots of stuff cheap or free. However, I will spend more money on a particular brand of laundry detergent, even though I can get other brands for free with coupons and sales, because I find that my particular brand works best.

The same concepts can be applied to the choice on what to feed a baby and I can't wrap my head around why that concept is so hard to understand.

I also can't wrap my head around asking for no flames after basically implying that formula feeding moms are wasting money, destroying the environment and pumping their kid full of deadly chemicals by feeding formula. No, I know that wasn't what was said, but this

Quote:
I just can't wrap my head around someone doing cloth for any of the reasons above, but feeding their baby expensive, environmentally unfriendly, chemical - laden (and hormone if it's cow's milk formula) formula.
clearly implies that thought process.

Advertisement

happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:39 PM   #12
greengranny
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I specifically posted this here (on the BF board) as a sincere question so that I would NOT be offensive to FF moms. If it sounded judgy, I am sorry. I was merely curious. It just seems to me that as far as health benefits and environment are concerned, bf is certainly as important, if not tremendously moreso, than cd'ing, so it just piques my interest when some die-hard cders ff. That is all.

I also never stated that I had any issues with FF. People do it and it is their choice. This is not condemnation. I have worked with moms who have tried and been unable; I certainly do not fault them for that. I guess I do find it a little more difficult to understand why some might not ever even try. But I now see reasons that could happen.
greengranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:47 PM   #13
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
I guess I do find it a little more difficult to understand why some might not ever even try. But I now see reasons that could happen.
Why does the reason matter to you? Why isn't "I didn't want to" good enough?
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:49 PM   #14
greengranny
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well, Happysmileylady, this:

"If you are cd'ing for the a) money savings, b) health reasons, c) environmental factors..."

Is what led to the comment you quoted, which was basically stating the fact that a) formula is expensive as are spouses b) it is not as healthy in the sense that it isn't chemical or, in the case of cow's milk, hormone free, again similar to thebfact that sposies are full of chemicals also and c) it is not environmentally friendly due to the waste (also like disposables)

So it was in relation to the reasons I've seen here for most of the cd use (in a poll posted sometime last week) that I posted those 3 specific things.

And again, I posted it HERE, in the BF forum, NOT in the FF forum because I was sincere in my question, and not trying to incite a riot.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:57 PM   #15
greengranny
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmileylady View Post
Honestly? Do you really want my answer?

Because I believe in my core that every baby should be entitled to the most basic, perfect food created especially for him/her. Because if baby animals don't get colostrum they don't survive, and I believe that, even though humans have found a substitute for breast milk, it is not the same and that something is missing. Because a baby is born with a natural reflex to latch on to their mother's breast and it hurts me, truly hurts me that with all of the horrific things babies are put through after birth, that they are denied the benefits of doing so.

So again, I just can't help but wonder why...
Old 06-14-2011, 11:58 PM   #16
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I try to minimize my footprint, but there are some things I just don't want to do. I use pull ups on my dd because I don't want my cloth sitting around for weeks waiting for enough for a load, and I'd rather not wash 4-5 diapers a week, wasting energy, water, etc.

I'm going to use ff and bf with my baby due in december because I don't have a good history of being able to pump. And I need to return to work at 6-8 weeks.

And I'll probably use sposies for while I'm at work. In the end, I don't think any of this is so important to make a big fuss of in my life. I've got way more important things to worry about.

Check out my gallery! PM me for YYMN and other knitting needs.

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:13 AM   #17
barefootnomadeatsfree
Banned

A lot of the reasons I can come up with have already been stated, but also: a lot of people are under the impression that formula is just as good as breast milk...and if it's just as good, well, why not, right? It's "easier", you don't have to "flash" the whole world to feed your baby, and it "gives Dad a chance" to bond with the baby...plus, "same exact health benefits"!
barefootnomadeatsfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:18 AM   #18
Aub's
Registered Users
seller

Location: Cali Born and Raised But Transplanted To Albany Oregon...
My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmileylady View Post
I find this true, I mean we don't question your choice to BF so why question our choices as parents to FF, it goes both ways, you can't just have it one way you know
Aubree, Proud Mama To 7 Little Hellion's, Wife To My Sexy Baker Tyler Crunchy, Tattooed, Pierced, Dreddy, Baby Wearing, Extended Rear Facing, AP Parenting, Circumcising, No Longer Vaxing, Mama To An Autistic/ADHD Boy And Dam Proud Of It
Aub's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:41 AM   #19
S4r4h
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by greengranny

Honestly? Do you really want my answer?

Because I believe in my core that every baby should be entitled to the most basic, perfect food created especially for him/her. Because if baby animals don't get colostrum they don't survive, and I believe that, even though humans have found a substitute for breast milk, it is not the same and that something is missing. Because a baby is born with a natural reflex to latch on to their mother's breast and it hurts me, truly hurts me that with all of the horrific things babies are put through after birth, that they are denied the benefits of doing so.

So again, I just can't help but wonder why...
To be honest, confrontations about stuff like this make me uncomfortable but this touched me. It's exactly how I feel.
Sarah Beth - Mama to Charlie (Charlotte) born 1/12/11 and wife to Jeffery, computer geek extraordinaire. Lover of succulent gardens, live plant aquariums, reading, nature, sunshine, emergency veterinary medicine, and Homer, the best dog in the world.
S4r4h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:44 AM   #20
novemberlily
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I cd and I did ff (she weaned herself off the bottle, sweet!) not by choice.

I think the only real answer to your question is
a) lack of education/support
b) personal choice
c) medical reasons

I personally don't think it should matter why someone else chose to feed something to their kid. It's just such a personal question...and at the end of the day, why does it matter? I think it's great you feel so strongly about breastfeeding, but it is a very hot topic, not only in here but everywhere. I was in a PPD group, and every single one of us first time mamas in the group identified with each other because we felt inadequate and like failures because every where we turn there are other mothers out there questioning us and no matter what our answer, they judge us all the same and act like we are poisoning our children. Regardless of what you mean, it always, always comes off as judgmental and often times does offend.

Do you think the moms who really tried to breastfeed like being questioned every other day?

I tend to stay out of the feeding forums because I spent so many months battling to breastfeed that it is a very emotional subject for me, but this thread popped in my unread threads and I couldn't not comment.

Advocate all you want it's not a bad thing to do, more education is desperately needed, but at the same time, I think questioning people's motives about it is what makes it such a hot topic. Everyone has their own reasons for doing or not doing something, and I think that should be enough for anyone else and their neighbor too.

Last edited by novemberlily; 06-15-2011 at 12:51 AM.
novemberlily is offline   Reply With Quote