Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-15-2011, 10:13 AM   #41
Layney82
Registered Users
seller

Re: I need to understand something about those not bf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmileylady View Post
That's because so many times....they are. Just check out the "what do you judge" thread.

BTW, did you know that breast milk contains chemicals too?
This! I hate when people play the chemical card. They do know that water is a chemical, oxygen is too, and all matter that we encounter is chemical. Chances are that breast milk has a higher concentration of toxic substances in it than formula since the latter can be manufactured using purified ingredients. Since our water supply and the food we eat is laden with undesirable ingredients including pesticides and mercury, for example, it makes sense that our breast milk is too.

Advertisement

Old 06-15-2011, 10:16 AM   #42
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by THBVsMama View Post
The OP is referring to women who never tried to breastfeed, not women who tried but couldn't continue, for whatever the reason. I'm really not seeing the judgement that everyone keeps calling her out on. I see her pointing out facts. Formula is expensive if you do not qualify WIC. Formula does contain chemicals, as does much of what the FDA approves for sale. How are those facts judgement?

It's also an adequate form of infant nutrition for those who cannot breastfeed. I will never condemn someone for using formula, and I strive to support FFing mothers because I know that, especially online, they feel a lot of backlash. But I will say that it's also tiring, on the opposite end of the spectrum, that everytime a BFing mama mentions formula she is accused of judging.

I admit, I wonder as well. I really don't say anything but I do wonder. And to be completely honest I mainly FF'ed my first son out of, in the end, not really wanting to try and staying ignorant of the facts about nursing. I honestly have no one to blame but myself for it too. I was "judged" but it never did hurt my feelings. It honestly prompted me to research more and try my darndest with #2.

As a result son #1 has a much lower immune system which I highly attribute to severe lack of breastmilk among the 4 main things that I believe caused his low immune system and SPD.

I have friends for whom it didn't work out for, true cases. I have friends who like me, admittedly just didn't care to try.

I do wish women would at least try. I also believe in helping to further education and support. We sadly live in such a Westernized culture that it does make it difficult because we don't that "tribal" mindset where women helped each other from pre-pregnancy, pregnancy, birth, nursing and beyond. We sorely lack in that area in our country.

If we did have more of a tribal/village mindset I do believe it would work much better. And for the few cases where it truly was an issue, we'd have great friends who would nurse our babies for us so that they'd still get the vital milk.
Terra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:28 AM   #43
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
I do wish women would at least try
why?
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:43 AM   #44
angely_06
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaelynsmommy61607 View Post
I have a friend who cds but ff because it was free from Wic. If sposies were free shed use them too.

Sent from my EVO using DS Forum
I was on WIC, and still ebf ds. DD was another story, I was 19 when I had her and although I knew I wanted to ebf I didn't have the support at the time. A nurse at the hospital actually encouraged me to ff because "I wasn't giving her all she needed". Thank god she hated the stuff, and I bf until she weaned at 17mo.
Apparently Wic will give out some sposies to Ebf mothers/babies, upon request as well as breast pumps, nursing pads, milk storage bags. I'm not sure if this is the case everywhere.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:43 AM   #45
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Yes, I did know that. One could assume (but I'm not) that you are judging BFing mamas now that you stated that? It goes both ways. Factual statements are not automatic judgement
Nope, judging the judgement. I am pointing out that asking the question "why would you feed your child something chemical-laden?" applies to BOTH forms of feeding and therefore isn't really a good question in terms of what the OP is asking. And THAT is where the judgement comes in.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:50 AM   #46
angely_06
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layney82 View Post
This! I hate when people play the chemical card. They do know that water is a chemical, oxygen is too, and all matter that we encounter is chemical. Chances are that breast milk has a higher concentration of toxic substances in it than formula since the latter can be manufactured using purified ingredients. Since our water supply and the food we eat is laden with undesirable ingredients including pesticides and mercury, for example, it makes sense that our breast milk is too.
I completely agree. Breast is best period, optimally with a healthy diet and minimum exposure to toxins, but that's what the country is filled with now a days. Regardless people will attack it. Ds was at risk for developing asthma, guess what? he didn't, he'll be two next month and has only gotten sick once and extremely healthy.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:17 AM   #47
Joyful Tie Dyes
Banned for reasons unrelated to transactions
www.joyfultiedyes.com

My Mood:

Quote:
why?
Because it is amazing experience that I wish all women could share. Because there ARE clear benefits to BFing even if it's only a couple of weeks.
Joyful Tie Dyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:21 AM   #48
Lisathena
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I EBF all my children, w/ #3 i got PG when she was 3 months old. I still nursed thru pregnancy but had to supplement for 6 months and we thankfully are now 100% tandem nursing

I think lack of education, being selfish and medical reasons are why moms dont try to nurse....

sad really i do think its the best for baby...i mean its good for mom too, but for baby its the best (in most situations)
Lisathena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:24 AM   #49
frenchyloveslarry
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I can kinda understand what your saying but Im not for attacking other mothers parenting skills or decsions. I actually did not plan to breastfeed any of my kids and I didnt with #1 and with #2 if it wasnt for the nurse in the hospital asking me and helping I prob would have not with#2 either. It came so easy that I kinda just stuck with it but I did have a stockpile of formula at home cause thats what I was planning on doing. I actually found out about cloth diapers from talking to other moms on some breastfeeding forums and thats how I came about cloth diapers so I dont think I would have cloth diapered if I had not breastfeed. Thats just how it came about for me but Its not easy I had reoccurent mastitis issues for months with my son and dr after dr would tell me to stop but for some reason I was determined and kept going. Im 25 weeks preggo with #3 and this with be my first I intend to breastfeed from day 1 and cloth diaper from day 1 and now b/c of this site babywear So it was kinda a domino effect for me breastfeeding led to cloth diapers and cloth diapers has led to baby wearing hmm what next lol
Old 06-15-2011, 12:02 PM   #50
bcb1961
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Nope, judging the judgement. I am pointing out that asking the question "why would you feed your child something chemical-laden?" applies to BOTH forms of feeding and therefore isn't really a good question in terms of what the OP is asking. And THAT is where the judgement comes in.
I think what the OP was trying to say is:

Formula contains vitamens which are synthesized. Breastmilk is a whole food source. In general, vitamens from whole foods are absorbed more easily by the body than manufactured versions.

It all depends on what you read into a statement. If you are looking for judgement, you will find it. My daughter had many bottles of formula, and I hated every one. I'm glad it was there for her when she needed it, but on the other hand, if it hadn't of been there, we would have most likely had more support and wouldn't have needed it in the first place.
bcb1961 is offline   Reply With Quote