Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-09-2011, 06:00 PM   #11
kikitree
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: What do you eat? Where do you get it? Grocery budget is killing me!

Thank you for sharing about the Swapmeet. That is a bit of a drive but when the weather cools down, we'll go check it out.

As far as CSA farms, I haven't tried yet but my friends have and they all say it's way too much veggies. If you live in Honolulu and want to go splities, PM me. Maybe we can try a farm together. I need a package that has fruits though. Our trips to Whole Foods are killing our budget.

Advertisement

kikitree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:55 PM   #12
corinne76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

What's a CSA?
Old 07-09-2011, 08:21 PM   #13
ittybittycoconuts
Registered Users
seller

Community supported agriculture. You basically prepay for a share of a group or individual farms harvest. Every week/bi/month whatever you've signed up for you pick up your "share". You have no say in what you get though. Sometimes it could be lots of random greens, fresh herbs and few fruits/veg other times it could be mostly fruit. You just never know. I've done it on the mainland and gotten eggs, jams, and specialty items every so often.

I have a love hate for them. The price is good because it's all organic but Ive gotten boxes where we've hated everything.
ittybittycoconuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 02:08 PM   #14
corinne76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

nice idea but IDK if I'm a fan of the element of surprise.
Old 07-10-2011, 02:35 PM   #15
averysydneymommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When we were in a pinch I used the Hillbilly Housewive's $45 dollar menu . . . that is $45 for one week for 4-6 people. She has a $70 per week menu that we use too when the grocery budget is getting low. I add fresh fruit to at least 2 of the meals and usually get to about $90-$100 per week when I do that:
http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/70dollarmenu.htm
Wife, Educator, Christian, frugalista, and trying to be more GREEN mama to DD1 (6/07) and DD2 (4/10)and TT#3!
averysydneymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 04:20 PM   #16
ittybittycoconuts
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by averysydneymommy View Post
When we were in a pinch I used the Hillbilly Housewive's $45 dollar menu . . . that is $45 for one week for 4-6 people. She has a $70 per week menu that we use too when the grocery budget is getting low. I add fresh fruit to at least 2 of the meals and usually get to about $90-$100 per week when I do that:
http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/70dollarmenu.htm
I pull alot of ideas from her site but Im not sure I could get everything for $100 for the $45 menu, I couldnt do $45 in CA either it came out closer to $80. My problem is mostly Im new and dont know where the good shopping is at but Im learning. Im not military so no commisary.
Old 07-10-2011, 06:00 PM   #17
kikitree
Registered Users
seller
seller

Nikki,

I've been here for almost 20 years now and I promise, I'm not keeping any secrets from you! An extreme solution but you could apply for a lot in one of the community gardens and grow your own veggies.

Kiki
Old 07-10-2011, 07:33 PM   #18
ittybittycoconuts
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikitree View Post
Nikki,

I've been here for almost 20 years now and I promise, I'm not keeping any secrets from you! An extreme solution but you could apply for a lot in one of the community gardens and grow your own veggies.

Kiki
Good! I need no secrets! My mainland friends that grew up here keep telling me to shop at Don Quioxte but its kind of far in the opposite direction of where I mainly go and its been at least 10 years since theyve lived here. You think its worth checking out? A community garden would probably be fun if theres one nearby.

My navigtional skills are getting better too. I used a whole tank and 1/2 less this last month so thats exciting. Im guessing I wasted that much getting lost and having to backtrack. Go me!

I dont mind lerning to cook differently. I became a mexican food pro living in San Diego but that wont work here mexican staples are pretty pricey. Other than rice at every meal, what else would be considered local everyday cooking?

Last edited by ittybittycoconuts; 07-10-2011 at 07:54 PM.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:31 PM   #19
kikitree
Registered Users
seller
seller

I don't know actually know a lot of people who cook every meal here. Given the cost of grocery, I think it ends up breaking even if you do takeout or at least some type of prepared food.

The only place I know where the cost of food is higher than Hawaii is Scandinavia, especially Norway. Over there, the cost of dining out is prohibitive so most people cook at home and they sort of stick to a very simple weekly menu. Now that my DD is a bit older and I want her to eat healthier than take-out food, I'm going to have to start planning some type of menu as well. Want to share some ideas?

BTW, the 2-for-1 pizza deal at Whole Foods on every Sunday is really a good deal. You also get a free string cheese or a piece of apple/banana per child (double check with c/s if it's per child or household though, I only have one so I've never asked) which means for $12, you get two large pizzas and 2 freebies.

Forgot to tell you before that I have been to the FM on KCC. It's is touristy but the prices are the same as other FM, pretty much. I love the WOW tomatoes!

Last edited by kikitree; 07-11-2011 at 10:36 PM.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:16 PM   #20
ittybittycoconuts
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for the tip on WF! Do they have the bulk bins there? I really miss my random scoops of snacky stuff Im in Aiea so a trip down there is pretty far.