Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-15-2011, 10:33 AM   #1
solarbabies
Registered Users
Formerly: ja***nes
seller

My Mood:
Are amusement parks out?

I am 9 weeks, and some friends invited us to our little local amusement park this weekend. I will be close to 10 weeks then. Can I ride rides? Or is that a no no now?

Advertisement

Old 06-15-2011, 10:54 AM   #2
cedricsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Are amusement parks out?

We went to WDW when I was 22 weeks pregnant. I thought it was an excellent time to travel, we flew and I went on most of the rides, at least all the ones my three year old could do. The walking was good for me and I enjoyed all the good restaurants. We had sit down breakfast and dinner and most days we took a break for lunch as well. You should be fine. I am 37 weeks now and still work out at the gym, go swimming etc. , just do it adjusted to your gestation.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:28 AM   #3
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I will probably be in the minority here, but I tend to be pretty laid-back most of the time. I went to Busch Gardens twice when I was pregnant with my daughter- once at 13 weeks and then again around 16 weeks. Yes, I rode roller-coasters- the new ones that don't jerk you around too much. The risk with roller-coasters is being jerked really fast, like you would be in a car accident, and that causing a placental abruption. Coasters, especially the new ones, are much smoother than that. I never felt like I was taking a risk when I was on them.

I think there's not much research out there about it; I looked online and could only find "WTH why would you do that?! NO NO NO!" lol. But the reality is that if you aren't showing much and the coaster is smooth, there's no increased risk to the baby just because you're on a roller coaster (than there would be if you weren't pregnant). The only risk I could find is if you're jerked way harder than any ride would be allowed to do. Roller coasters aren't the same as bungee jumping, or something.

But obviously, that is the choice that I made for myself, and I wouldn't advise someone in any direction.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:29 AM   #4
Joyful Tie Dyes
Banned for reasons unrelated to transactions
www.joyfultiedyes.com

My Mood:

I would not take the chance myself.
Joyful Tie Dyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:35 PM   #5
Greenbabybottoms
Registered Users
seller
seller

We just got back from disneyworld (at 30 weeks pregnant) and I rode several rides. I just avoided the ones that suggested I avoid them while pregnant.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:52 PM   #6
Emma
Registered Users
seller

I went to DW at around 24 wks. I stuck to the "all-ages" rides, no coasters or any ride that had pregnant lady warnings. I personally wouldn't take the chance on coasters.
Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 01:00 PM   #7
hippieintraining
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma View Post
I went to DW at around 24 wks. I stuck to the "all-ages" rides, no coasters or any ride that had pregnant lady warnings. I personally wouldn't take the chance on coasters.
This

My ISO/IHA
hippieintraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 01:09 PM   #8
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516 View Post
I will probably be in the minority here, but I tend to be pretty laid-back most of the time. I went to Busch Gardens twice when I was pregnant with my daughter- once at 13 weeks and then again around 16 weeks. Yes, I rode roller-coasters- the new ones that don't jerk you around too much. The risk with roller-coasters is being jerked really fast, like you would be in a car accident, and that causing a placental abruption. Coasters, especially the new ones, are much smoother than that. I never felt like I was taking a risk when I was on them.

I think there's not much research out there about it; I looked online and could only find "WTH why would you do that?! NO NO NO!" lol. But the reality is that if you aren't showing much and the coaster is smooth, there's no increased risk to the baby just because you're on a roller coaster (than there would be if you weren't pregnant). The only risk I could find is if you're jerked way harder than any ride would be allowed to do. Roller coasters aren't the same as bungee jumping, or something.

But obviously, that is the choice that I made for myself, and I wouldn't advise someone in any direction.
yup.

I rode Sheikra when I was 8 wks preggo with my DS. (FTR - I hated it and will never ride it again.) Went back a while later in the same pregnancy and rode lots of other coasters. Wasn't worried.

Pretty much everything is somehow a "no-no" when you're pregnant. If it's something that will relax you, excite you, thrill you, or make you laugh really hard, it's probably prohibited while pregnant. Everything that is not currently prohibited by the medical world is prohibited by old-wive's tales.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 03:38 PM   #9
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm not one to take chances with roller coasters. I have quite a few friends though who rode them before they knew they were pregnant. I'm not a no rides type of person though. I mean, we went out on boats, jet skis, banana boat rides when I was pregnant with DD. We just went to Busch Gardens yesterday and I rode rides with her.
hilaryisinked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:09 AM   #10
hidden_star
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wouldn't risk it, I would stick to the gentle rides, no roller coasters for me while I am pregnant
Christmas 2012 baby!
hidden_star is offline   Reply With Quote