Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-15-2011, 02:41 PM   #1
littleleaf
Registered Users
Formerly: jcha***h
seller
seller

My Mood:
Help me prepare for preschool!

I will be starting a new job at the end of next month, and have DS (2.5 years old) starting preschool at the beginning of the month. I am freaking out!

I guess i'm just feeling nervous because DS is such a home-body, and quite shy and small for his age. Is it just going to be a horrific transition? How long did it take your kids (shy or not) to transition? A friend of mine said her shy 2 year old cried for the first 6 months.

What can I do to help him transition? Any good books about school? I've been trying to talk to him about it, but he keeps having sleep problems every time I bring it up (I don't talk about it right before bedtime, just during the day, over dinner, etc).

Also, where do you get labels for everything?

Advertisement

SPOTS - new Thirsties and more ISO Jujube, Carters, Gymboree, Zutano girl clothes 18 months
littleleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 02:51 PM   #2
psylion
Registered Users
seller

My DD was almost 2 when she went to daycare. I thought it would be a hard transition but she was fine. As soon as she realized she got to play with all of these other kids her age she was fine. It was hard to get her to come home with me at the end of the day (although she sure wanted to nurse). She even learned to eat solid food and caught up with her speech skills. Maybe it won't be as bad as you think. Also your kid may be picking up on your nervousness and having the sleep issues too. He's not really going to really have any concept of what preschool will be like so how could he be that scared of it at this point?

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 06-15-2011, 03:13 PM   #3
littleleaf
Registered Users
Formerly: jcha***h
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help me prepare for preschool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylion View Post
My DD was almost 2 when she went to daycare. I thought it would be a hard transition but she was fine. As soon as she realized she got to play with all of these other kids her age she was fine. It was hard to get her to come home with me at the end of the day (although she sure wanted to nurse). She even learned to eat solid food and caught up with her speech skills. Maybe it won't be as bad as you think. Also your kid may be picking up on your nervousness and having the sleep issues too. He's not really going to really have any concept of what preschool will be like so how could he be that scared of it at this point?

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Hey, we used to live in Oakland, too!

Well, I did drop him off at this church-based babysitting thing a couple times when I was in a pinch for childcare. He totally freaked out then and would not sleep (totally pointless for me to use that childcare... easier for me to take care of him in the day and work through the night). The teachers did say that he got better each time, but he definitely DID NOT want to play with the other kids, but was content doing art projects or sitting with the teachers while the other kids played.
SPOTS - new Thirsties and more ISO Jujube, Carters, Gymboree, Zutano girl clothes 18 months
littleleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 03:28 PM   #4
wlillie
Banned

My Mood:

Find out what the schedule is now and start him on it. Food, playtime, and nap should all be on a pretty close schedule; find out what theirs is. Ask his new teachers what they want you to do. They've been through it all before. Good luck! I bought the labels but ended up not really needing them.

http://www.appliedlabels.com/kids-pe...s/classic.html
wlillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 05:25 PM   #5
kalhayd
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My dd cried for at least 6 months. She was 18 months. But now she leave my side without too much hesitation. She is really shy!
Old 06-16-2011, 01:31 PM   #6
alybeth
Registered Users

I just wanted to add that I totally agree with making sure you are calm and positive when you talk to him about it. ("You're so lucky, you'll get to..." type of attitude) I use to teach that age group, and a lot of times the parents attitude about preschool was even more important in the transition than the child's personality. (And if you are apprehensive about it, talking it up to him can help you feel better about it too!) GL Mama! =)
alybeth is offline   Reply With Quote