Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-15-2011, 06:18 PM   #1
corinne76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
SAH or WAH moms-do you ever get ppl saying it's boring to stay home?

ugh! DD is out for the summer and my grandma (who used to babysit her when I did work FT) kept asking me what we were going to do. I said I'd find things for DD to do.
Now summer is here and grandma keeps saying how boring it must be to stay home.
Last time I took DD over to her house to visit, she refused to go home and told me home is boring I know she didnt come up with that on her own.
So today I called gma to tell her I'd bring the kids by to see her tomorrow. she asked what DD's been doing and I said nothing, more because I didnt feel like explaining what we've been doing. Grandma goes "oh so boring yeah. Poor thing." Yeah, I know. My fault for not saying we had a DR appt on monday, marketing on Tues, trial gymnastics today. but I'm tired of telling her everything and getting scolded for something. I ended up telling her off a little. I told her "it's not boring. we've just had stuff to do all week."

thanks for letting me vent.
anyway, do you ever have to hear this? if so, how do you handle it?

Advertisement

Old 06-15-2011, 06:21 PM   #2
myfrugalfunlife
Banned- member requested
seller

Re: SAH or WAH moms-do you ever get ppl saying it's boring to stay home?

IRL people know I live in a constant state of chaos, so boring is not something anyone would ever use to describe my sahm life I have three kids, all 22 months apart from the next, and there's never a dull moment lol! Today we were gone all day doing various activities, and now two kids are out with dh, and my 3 yr old is 'catching' carrots with a butterfly net in my kitchen. Oh how I long for boring....
myfrugalfunlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 06:25 PM   #3
corinne76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

LOL. I'm not bored at all. My grandma insists DD is bored because I didnt put her in summer school. or i dont have her signed up for every activity in the world. she thinks I should be taking DD out every day
Old 06-15-2011, 06:35 PM   #4
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've had people ask me if it's boring to stay home all day. I'm a work from home mom, that doesn't mean I sit at home all day and work while two kids climb on me. We have something different to do each day. We aren't home much in the summers with our activities, play groups, parks, etc. Not bored in the least.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:27 PM   #5
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My MIL asks me this almost every time I see her. She must think we sit and look at the wall all day. I also have a friend with 4 children and she continually says, he must be so bored at home with you. No, actually he isn't since we don't sit at home watching TV all day. When he does get antsy and bored, I find something for him to do or we go play. Geesh.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:44 PM   #6
corinne76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

LOL I,m actually a little relieved that I;'m not the only one who has to hear it all the time.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:18 PM   #7
crazylife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't understand people who think you have to constantly be entertaining your child and/or keeping them so busy their eyeballs are spinning. While we don't sit at home and stare at the walls all day either (uh, what kid does?!), I see nothing wrong with staying at home and playing...and sometimes my kids DO get momentarily bored. So they have to 'un-bore' themselves and use their imaginations - oh nooooo! (ha!) That to me is the difference between having a fulfilled life vs. a life full of external things, if that makes any sense...

I work at a clinic and parents constantly call trying to book appt's for their pre/teens but these kids' schedules are so insanely busy and the moms are practically bragging about it; I just don't get that.
crazylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:29 PM   #8
novemberlily
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Well, I thought being a sahm was boring, which is one of the many reasons I decided to become a wahm.
Now things are okay...when business is slow I get bored sometimes...but not as bad as when I wasn't doing anything.
novemberlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:35 PM   #9
jacquelinemarie82
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I'm sure anything could get boring if you let it or go into it with that attitude.

I agree that it's not a tragedy for a child to be bored on occasion....it probably means that the child needs to think of an approved activity to do and entertain themselves...not for hours on end but for part of each day imo. It is nobody's job to entertain your child all day every day. It's okay for a child to play by himself/herself or with another child with no adult specifically entertaining them.
jacquelinemarie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:50 PM   #10
pcjs
Registered Users

I used to be one of those women who wondered what SAHM's do and my husband teases me I am busier now than I ever was working.