Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-16-2011, 10:59 AM   #1
loveskitten
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
2 year old not talking...am I doing something wrong?

My oldest DD is nearly 2 1/2 years old. She is a girl of few words. She says "hi" "bye" "mama" "thank you" and a handful of others. She understand everything I say. I can tell her to go potty, and she will go into the bathroom, pull down pants and panties, urinate and flush the toilet, all by herself without supervision. Or if I tell her to give her sister a cracker, she will get one and go take it to her. In a store, I can tell her "One piece of candy" and she will keep her hands to herself until she chooses one, and will walk with me to pay for it. But she doesn't talk. Is there something wrong? I have spoken to her ped and he was concerned until he watched her some more...and he said it's fine, BUT is there something I can do to encourage her to talk? What are some things I can do to encourage learning letters, etc.?

Advertisement

Old 06-16-2011, 11:57 AM   #2
GEM Cloth
Registered Users
Formerly: michellemomx3
seller

My Mood:
Re: 2 year old not talking...am I doing something wrong?

There is nothing you are doing wrong. Children talk when they are ready. Sometimes they need intervention and sometimes not, but I think what they need most of all is love and patience, which obviously your child is getting! Just keep talking to her all the time, reading to her, and showing her lots of love. When she gets ready she will talk and she may not shut up! I have heard of this happening so many times I cannot even count it. One example is my DH. His mother said he was nearly 3, and the first thing he said was a complete sentence. He never stopped talking after that. My son said very little (though he had a large vocabulary) until he was 20 months and he started speaking in short sentences and never quit talking. Several of my friends have had the same thing happen. It's just that kids talk when they are ready, and that is at different ages with different children.
GEM Cloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:58 AM   #3
knlrachel
Registered Users
seller

It sounds like her receptive language is great but her expressive language might be delayed. Do you require her to talk? For example, when she wants something, does she have to use her words, or can she point, maybe say please and get it? I would try giving her times/motivaton to talk and encourage her to use her words. She might just be a quiet girl, but I would probably call early intervention for a free evaluation if she was my daughter. JMHO. Hope all goes well. I have a lot of experience with early intervention and they are awesome and you don't need your doctor to refer you!!
Old 06-16-2011, 12:24 PM   #4
MavericksMama
Registered Users
seller

Nope! Sounds fine to me : ) My DD was the same. She just took off at about 33 months old, and talks all the time now!
MavericksMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 01:31 PM   #5
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

can she sign? My DS didn't say 2 words until pretty recently, but would sign with the best of them.

I would see what a professional has to say. If they really aren't talking at 2 it makes me wonder. Like DS is difficult to understand, but he tries!
Old 06-16-2011, 01:37 PM   #6
momofdestructobaby
Registered Users
seller

We were at a check point this morning, and they were concerned that my 21 month old only says 20 words. They gave us a referral and a pamphlet that said that by 2 years old she should be saying 150-200 words and speaking in 3-4 word sentences :O So, we will be getting an assessment to make sure she doesn't have an expressive language delay. I would see if you can get an assessment, even if just to rule out a problem.
momofdestructobaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 01:43 PM   #7
Seretesi8878
Registered Users

My Mood:

My daughter just turned two two weeks ago. Im in the exact situation that you are in. They gave my daughter a test to make sure she wasn't autistic (which yours sounds like she doesn't either). My doctor is giving me three months to work with her. They told me everytime i give her a toy of food or something break it down and say for example " Orange fish? you want the Orange fish? Can you say Orange fish?" If her vocabulary isn't were it needs to be in three months they are going to have her in speech therapy. I wouldn't worry too much but keep trying to work with her and if it doesn't get better ask about speech therapy. Right after the doctor's appointment my daughter seems to be saying a lot more now.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:43 PM   #8
HLCreations
Registered Users
Formerly: diapermamaagain
seller

My Mood:

I'm on my 3rd child who is almost 2 and is NOT talking.

I was slightly worried with #1. But somewhere around 3 they just start talking.

My 7 year old talks NON STOP. And my 4 year old now uses words that don't sound like they should be coming out of a 4 year old at all!

Currently I have a 23 month old who communicates and understands...but won't say anything more than 'poop', 'dada', 'mama', 'pop', and 'juice'. Of course these are only 'words' that DH and I hear. To everyone else it's just jibberish.

No doubt in my mind that a year from now we'll be wishing he was a bit more silent. LOL
Old 06-16-2011, 04:01 PM   #9
konmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

There is a wonderful book "It takes two to talk" that has all sort of idea for encouraging kids to communicate. Check out Amazon reviews or get it from the library.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:47 PM   #10
doodah
Registered Users
seller

I think you should find ways to encourage her to use her words. Give her a little push vocally. Don't just take her to do things, give her things, etc. without her using the words. Have her repeat you at the beginning. I know some people said it was no big deal but I personally would be concerned. Also, does she have a sibling that is "talking" for her? If so, put an end to that. Don't let her just point at things or cry or whatever to get what she wants, make her use her words even if it is just as simple as "ball please". Also, is she still on the binky or bottle? I know I have seen those two items really hold kids back vocally which makes sense since their mouth is otherwise occupied. Same thing with thumb suckers.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote