Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-17-2011, 05:57 AM   #11
Truckerswife
Registered Users
seller

it. could be reflux one of mysisters has what they call silent reflux its just enough to irritate the back of her throat and makes her cough during the day. she takes a small dose of zantac before bed which helps alot

Advertisement

Old 06-17-2011, 07:48 AM   #12
Ccubed
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: what could be causing this cough?

A friend of mine's daughter had a similar problem and the dr said it was asthma. They ended up putting in a house air filtration system and it cleared it up (she only had issues during sleep/wake from sleep times). Not sure what would happen if she stayed the night at someone else's house tho.

Happy to be here!
Ccubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:23 AM   #13
kristinc
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckerswife View Post
it. could be reflux one of mysisters has what they call silent reflux its just enough to irritate the back of her throat and makes her cough during the day. she takes a small dose of zantac before bed which helps alot
this usually only gets diagnosed after all other possibilities have been ruled out (aka infection, virus, asthma & allergies).
kristinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:38 AM   #14
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
How old is she?

We are major asthma sufferers here. It sounds like asthma and no you should not use albuterol every day. It is a rescue med and not a maintenance med. It is ok to use for an acute attack (like during a cold, excersise, reaction to trigger) but kids with asthma especially nighttime astma need a diagnosis and maintenance meds. You need to get a referral to a kids pulmo and allergist. It is easy to diagnose from about age 3 and on. Before that they use history, med reactions and skin testing.

I also suggest vaccuming and wrapping the mattress in a hypo allergenic cover. Also change your air filters for central air/heat if you have them every 6 weeks. Allergy testing is important so you can get rid of as many triggers as possible. Dont play around with possible asthma. It is very serious and can make a child very sick very fast. My son had severe asthma from birth to age 7. We werw able to recently stop his steriod inhalers and just use singulair. We never had any sife effects to any meds or growth issues. They reduced his attacks by almost 100 percent.

ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 10:19 AM   #15
nannabean
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My son was diagnosed with asthma when he he had those type of symptoms at 4 yrs old. However, now he is 10 and his diagnoses has been changed to Reactive Airway Disease. Although I haven't done much research the nurse explained it is like asthma, but related to allergies instead of other triggers. We handle it, at this point, with
1) allergy medicine ( a great herbal that we found) if that is not enough we move on to
2)Symbicort (a steroid) as a daily preventative and as a last straw
3) Xopenex (like albuterol) used as a rescue medicine for the coughing that won't quit.
I hope you can find a cause and solution soon. I remember how hard it was not knowing what was going on with my son. Good job doing your research. I wish I had been more persistent in pursuing a diagnoses for my son. It took 2 years just to get the asthma diagnoses. I gave in to the dismissive attitude of the doctor. It is a hard situation because the doctor never sees the symptoms like the parents do.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:25 AM   #16
corinne76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmelody View Post
How old is she?

We are major asthma sufferers here. It sounds like asthma and no you should not use albuterol every day. It is a rescue med and not a maintenance med. It is ok to use for an acute attack (like during a cold, excersise, reaction to trigger) but kids with asthma especially nighttime astma need a diagnosis and maintenance meds. You need to get a referral to a kids pulmo and allergist. It is easy to diagnose from about age 3 and on. Before that they use history, med reactions and skin testing.

I also suggest vaccuming and wrapping the mattress in a hypo allergenic cover. Also change your air filters for central air/heat if you have them every 6 weeks. Allergy testing is important so you can get rid of as many triggers as possible. Dont play around with possible asthma. It is very serious and can make a child very sick very fast. My son had severe asthma from birth to age 7. We werw able to recently stop his steriod inhalers and just use singulair. We never had any sife effects to any meds or growth issues. They reduced his attacks by almost 100 percent.

thanks
she's 3
Old 06-17-2011, 11:24 AM   #17
juliasmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My sister had a very similar persistent cough mostly at night when she was 6-7. I remember covering my ears, because it sounded so bad. She would cough until she threw up sometimes at night. The doctors were stumped for a long time. They thought she had whooping cough until the treatment for it didn't help, then asthma until the steroid inhalers didn't touch it. Finally, an ENT did allergy testing and she was severely allergic to dust, pollen, dogs, cats, and lots of other things. She also had a weird skin hypersensitivity, where if you ran your fingernail over her skin it would swell and get red along that line. My parents took all the carpet out of their house, had the air ducts cleaned yearly, got her hypoallergenic matress and pillow covers and she started taking allergy shots, and she was cured.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:40 AM   #18
boysx4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DS4 has silent reflux and although he does cough some it is way different then DS2's asthma cough. This is a dry non productive cough that sounds terrible. He only coughs at night/sometimes early morning and during very active play. He sees and allergist and it is under control. IMO it sounds like you are dealing with an underlying cough that may be resistant to antibiotics as well as an asthma. Viral/Baterial coughs can make asthma worse. mama I hope you can get the diagnosis you and your LO need.

Jen, wife to Russ , & Mommy to 4 boys!
boysx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 04:00 PM   #19
corinne76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I called the Dr and the nurse I spoke with told me to give the neb when she coughs. If it doenst completely go away in a week than I should bring her in and she might ahve to go on antibiotics. My orig question was when do we start looking at possible allergies or asthma. she told me it's considered slight asthma because she's on albuterol and the neb.

It was not a satisfying answer at all.
Old 06-18-2011, 11:33 PM   #20
corinne76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Now DS has a cough too. I was told that a humidifier might help.
Would a humidifier help for DD's cough too if it is asthma? Or should I get a air purifier as well?