Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-17-2011, 08:18 AM   #1
dancermommy1
Registered Users
seller

How do you cope with your kids when you don't feel good? (Partial vent/pity party)

Okay, at my house it's like this--when DH is sick then he gets to sit around and sleep all day while i take care of things and do all the diaper changing, feeding, playing, cleaning, cooking, etc. When I'm sick it's "all in my head" or I'm just making it up, apparently, because I'm still expected to go about my day as usual, with no break from being the mommy, the maid, the cook, or the work-out-of-home career woman.

Today I do not feel well. I have a headache, achiness, just a general cold that has run through my family. DS has had it, DH had it earlier in the week, and now it's come around to me. I know that when I get home at noon with DS he'll be ready to play, and all I want to do is crawl under the covers and sleep, because I was up half the night nursing him and trying to get him back to sleep because DH got annoyed at him waking up around 11pm and stomped out of the room, and when he came back he refused to get up with him again. Then DS decided to start his day bright and early at 5:30 am. So I'm exhausted, and don't feel good.

So, the point of my pity party is to ask what you do with your kids when you're not feeling well? DS is an active almost-one-year-old... I have a hard time finding activities that keep his attention for more than a few minutes that don't involve me having a very active role in what he's doing. Ideas?

Advertisement

Please Visit my ETSY store benefiting women and children in poverty! http://www.etsy.com/shop/conspiracyoflove

YOU can make a difference in developing countries, one precious child at a time! http://conspiracy-of-love.blogspot.com
dancermommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:24 AM   #2
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How do you cope with your kids when you don't feel good? (Partial vent/pity party

If he was up a lot, he might be ready for a nap, too!

Do you have a safe room for him with some toys where you can just veg a little? I have been known to lay down on the floor in the playroom/bedroom where it's safe and let the kids play while I am semi consciously ill.

Tell your DH he's in charge of dinner tonight. You aren't up to it at all. He doesn't have to cook it. He can pick it up on the way home.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:27 AM   #3
USMCgirl_05
Banned

My Mood:
Re: How do you cope with your kids when you don't feel good? (Partial vent/pity party

I don't cook, we go out or get take out.
the kids eat unhealthy snacks and the tv stays on all day
USMCgirl_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:22 AM   #4
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Our family room is child proofed so if I'm feeling sick and dh can't get home to help, I close all the doors off the family room, pop in a movie and curl up on the couch. The kids can play or watch the movie and I doze on the couch. I never fall sound asleep - they usually have a question to ask every 5 minutes - but I do get to rest a bit. And nap time is not negotiable on those days.
Rhianna'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 10:04 AM   #5
dpelephant
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCgirl_05 View Post
I don't cook, we go out or get take out.
the kids eat unhealthy snacks and the tv stays on all day
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhianna'sMommy View Post
Our family room is child proofed so if I'm feeling sick and dh can't get home to help, I close all the doors off the family room, pop in a movie and curl up on the couch. The kids can play or watch the movie and I doze on the couch. I never fall sound asleep - they usually have a question to ask every 5 minutes - but I do get to rest a bit. And nap time is not negotiable on those days.
Yep and yep. Also when DH come home from work I just look at him and say "Your turn" and go into my bedroom for some peace and quiet and shut the door. When DS was nursing I would just tell DH to bring him if he is hungry.

Yes, TV is our friend on those days and I am okay with that.

I hope you feel better soon!!

I earn extra $ with Swagbucks and Ebates! Join me
dpelephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 11:13 AM   #6
Tweedledum
Registered Users

Yeah, I was just going to say the same thing. DH does take-out for dinner (either Mexican or Greek), and DD gets to watch Sesame Street all day.
Tweedledum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 11:19 AM   #7
BabyLuvinMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my kids are all older 15 11 10 and 8yrs so they can all pretty much fend for them self if mama feels like Poo.... but I am sorry your DH doesn't seem to think you need a day to recoup or to help when you feel run-down...
Old 06-17-2011, 12:32 PM   #8
psylion
Registered Users
seller

When I am sick it is all about take-out and TV. Although DD still wants lots of attention and doesn't really understand about mommy being sick. To be honest I get more rest at work than at home with DD on weekends and holidays. If we are both sick at the same time sometimes I can get her to cuddle me and watch a movie.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 06-17-2011, 12:33 PM   #9
psylion
Registered Users
seller

When I am sick it is all about take-out and TV. Although DD still wants lots of attention and doesn't really understand about mommy being sick. To be honest I get more rest at work than at home with DD on weekends and holidays. If we are both sick at the same time sometimes I can get her to cuddle me and watch a movie.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 06-17-2011, 02:14 PM   #10
doodah
Registered Users
seller

Stop entertaining the baby so much. Like some others said, child proof an area, put out his things and then let him go at it. Now is a good time to start insisting on small bouts of independent time. For my kids and daycare kids, starting as soon as they can sit up, I work up towards them being able to entertain themselves for up to 30 minutes (disclaimer: they are always supervised, needs met, etc. this is just for them to know how to do it not that they have to do it all the time). Besides that, just do what has to be done and leave the rest. No sense killing yourself over a few loads of laundry. Let your DH fend for himself, he's a big boy. hope you feel better!

Last edited by doodah; 06-17-2011 at 02:15 PM.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote