View Poll Results: WWYD??
leave her alone and let her fall asleep on her own whenever 30 93.75%
continue correcting her, but try to be quiet and not disturb DS 0 0%
move her back to her room until it's resolved 1 3.13%
sit in DS's room until she gets used to falling asleep w/o playing 0 0%
other? (please explain) 1 3.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-17-2011, 08:39 PM   #1
karabeth05
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Unhappy playing in bed...

DD is 2.5yo and has been sleeping in her own room and STTN since about 1yo. For what seems like FOREVER (probably since we stopped nursing at bedtime at 18 months) she just lays in bed and plays...and plays...and plays...and plays. She rolls around, kicks her feet, plays with the covers, and on and on. I have been going in and laying her back down, reminding her (sternly) that it's not time to play, fixing her covers, etc, etc and it's to the point where I absolutely DREAD nap and bedtime. I've tried going in every x minutes, or a certain length of time and then spacing it out after that, or every time she gets back to playing again. I also tried sitting in the room and reminding her to lay back down every time she got up, but it didn't seem to change anything and I got tired of sitting in there for an hour every night. We tried giving up nap to see if it would help, and not only did it not help with falling asleep, but she was a total crank-monster every single evening.

Well now she's moved into DS's room on the bottom bunk and still it continues. I don't want to go in there and settle her because then I'll be bothering him and possibly keeping him up. And it's not like I expect her to zonk out the second her head hits the pillow, I just want her to stop rolling around and playing so she can actually relax to fall asleep. Sometimes it takes 30 minutes for her to fall asleep, and sometimes it can take up to an hour and a half or two hours We've tried relaxing/classical music cds and it doesn't seem to make anything better or worse. And we have a bedtime routine that we've been using since day one (literally, because we always did the same thing with DS). Also, for naps sometimes she takes so long to actually fall asleep that I have to wake her after 30-45 minutes, which never goes well.

I just get soooooo frustrated watching her flop around (we have a video monitor) when I know she should be relaxing and sleeping, because I know the next morning she is going to be a crab. I basically feel like darned if I do and darned if I don't...so should I just turn the stupid monitor off and let her play until she decides to go to sleep?? (as long as she's not being noisy and disturbing her brother) I feel like I've tried everything and I am seriously at my wits end...

All I can think of doing is moving her back to the crib and sitting in there every night for however long it takes until she gets in the habit of not playing, and then transitioning back to DS's room. We are expecting another baby in October and I really don't want to STILL be dealing with this, as well as newborn sleep deprivation.

Advertisement

have you seen the One Happy Baby Diaper Pattern?

Last edited by karabeth05; 06-17-2011 at 08:43 PM. Reason: added more details (sorry)
karabeth05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:46 PM   #2
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: playing in bed...

I don't know, but when you figure it out, let me know. DD is almost 4.5 and still does that EVERY night. She goes to bed around 8/8:30, but often doesn't fall asleep til 10 or later. If she talks or sings, I close her bedroom door, which she hates. So she stopped doing that. But I just can't get her to fall asleep! She has relaxing heartbeat music and we've also tried the music from Tangled, which she loves. I've tried taking away all the stuffed animals and dolls. I've tried turning off her ceiling fan as punishment. I've tried laying with her (that's the worst because she keeps talking to me). I've tried bribery. Nothing works.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 06-17-2011 at 08:47 PM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:51 PM   #3
karabeth05
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola View Post
I don't know, but when you figure it out, let me know. DD is almost 4.5 and still does that EVERY night. She goes to bed around 8/8:30, but often doesn't fall asleep til 10 or later. If she talks or sings, I close her bedroom door, which she hates. So she stopped doing that. But I just can't get her to fall asleep! She has relaxing heartbeat music and we've also tried the music from Tangled, which she loves. I've tried taking away all the stuffed animals and dolls. I've tried turning off her ceiling fan as punishment. I've tried laying with her (that's the worst because she keeps talking to me). I've tried bribery. Nothing works.
Really??? Well, at least I feel a little less crazy now...misery loves company

Old 06-17-2011, 08:55 PM   #4
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

I said leave her alone. But, maybe leave her alone, but put her back in her own room would have been a better answer.

She may be like this her whole life. It takes some kids an hour or more to fall asleep.

Even I remember taking stuffed animals to bed with me every night and playing pretend with them for a long time before falling asleep. I still have to read or listen to my Ipod before I can go to sleep now.

I think we all have our own way of winding down, this may be hers.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:56 PM   #5
SylvieP
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DS often plays for a while in his bed before falling asleep. I have rarely gone in there afterwards to tell him to sleep. I think for some reason he likes the alone time and its part of his routine. I now leave a few books with him so he reads them and goes to bed.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:02 PM   #6
alaskamum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DS does this, we put him in his crib with a bunch of trains, his bear, his dog, books, whatever else he grabs...sometimes he goes right down, other times we can hear his trains clinking on the monitor. A few times we have heard his trains clinking in the middle of the night. It hasn't been a problem for us.

I do think DS really really likes his crib...I was wondering the other day if I could get him a twin size crib, b/c he's getting a little crowded in there, but I think he likes it. I don't plan on moving him to a big bed until it's absolutely necessary.
and M
alaskamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:06 PM   #7
karabeth05
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapethevillage View Post
I said leave her alone. But, maybe leave her alone, but put her back in her own room would have been a better answer.

She may be like this her whole life. It takes some kids an hour or more to fall asleep.

Even I remember taking stuffed animals to bed with me every night and playing pretend with them for a long time before falling asleep. I still have to read or listen to my Ipod before I can go to sleep now.

I think we all have our own way of winding down, this may be hers.
The baby is going to be moving into her old room (with the crib) and moving into DS's room so soon was her idea because she wanted to pick out her sheets (I was kind of hoping the playing thing might stop then). I just wouldn't see the point in moving her back if I'm not going to try and break her of the playing habit.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:08 PM   #8
karabeth05
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SylvieP View Post
DS often plays for a while in his bed before falling asleep. I have rarely gone in there afterwards to tell him to sleep. I think for some reason he likes the alone time and its part of his routine. I now leave a few books with him so he reads them and goes to bed.
sooooooo what you're saying is that I just need to relax and let her do her thing? I don't know what my deal is about sleep, but it just drives me bonkers...I guess I feel like I'm the one who ends up paying the price if they don't sleep when they should/need to

Old 06-17-2011, 09:10 PM   #9
karabeth05
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskamum View Post
DS does this, we put him in his crib with a bunch of trains, his bear, his dog, books, whatever else he grabs...sometimes he goes right down, other times we can hear his trains clinking on the monitor. A few times we have heard his trains clinking in the middle of the night. It hasn't been a problem for us.

I do think DS really really likes his crib...I was wondering the other day if I could get him a twin size crib, b/c he's getting a little crowded in there, but I think he likes it. I don't plan on moving him to a big bed until it's absolutely necessary.
I was going to wait a couple more months before moving DD over (DS stayed in a crib until 3yo), but she really wanted to so I figured what the heck. But she does the same thing whether she's in the bed or the crib, and she hasn't mentioned wanting it back so I don't think she's missing it. Maybe I need to just chill out (as long as she's not bothering her brother)...dangit, that means DH was right

Old 06-17-2011, 09:12 PM   #10
SylvieP
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by karabeth05 View Post
sooooooo what you're saying is that I just need to relax and let her do her thing? I don't know what my deal is about sleep, but it just drives me bonkers...I guess I feel like I'm the one who ends up paying the price if they don't sleep when they should/need to

Pretty much. As long as he seems happy and not acting crazy or crying in there I leave him be. There are nights it takes over an hour but on average after 20-25 min he is out.