View Poll Results: WWYD??
leave her alone and let her fall asleep on her own whenever 30 93.75%
continue correcting her, but try to be quiet and not disturb DS 0 0%
move her back to her room until it's resolved 1 3.13%
sit in DS's room until she gets used to falling asleep w/o playing 0 0%
other? (please explain) 1 3.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-17-2011, 09:18 PM   #11
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: playing in bed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by karabeth05 View Post
sooooooo what you're saying is that I just need to relax and let her do her thing? I don't know what my deal is about sleep, but it just drives me bonkers...I guess I feel like I'm the one who ends up paying the price if they don't sleep when they should/need to
Yeah I hear you but it just is what it is. You are just getting increasingly frustrated and she keeps doing the same thing. What's the definition of insanity? Either she will grow out of it or this just is who she is. Either way, you can't really MAKE her sleep. DS grew out of it and and sometimes he goes back to it but mostly it's fine. My anxiety level was through the roof in the thick of it and the thoughts of, "Now tomorrow will be miserable and he won't nap because he will be over tired and and blah." I would get worked up into a fit over it. But at some point I decided to let it go and it was fine. No one died and we got through it. DO you want to know my magic secret? Earplugs. Earplugs at nap and night time. They allowed me to still hear if he cried or something but I couldn't hear the little chatter and the creaking of the crib that let me know he was rolling and jumping around. Saved my sanity.

Advertisement

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:19 PM   #12
Subversive Cupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Ugh! I've been meaning to post this same thing. My daughter is 18 months and just started doing this. It drives me bonkers because she is not getting enough sleep and constantly has bags under her eyes and acts tired during the day!

I wish I had a solution for you, but I guess it is nice to know I'm not the only one.
Subversive Cupcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:38 PM   #13
mandasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My 4 year old still plays after lights out. I remember having trouble falling asleep, too, as a child. (And well out of childhood.) I'd say let her play, and turn off the video monitor! Kind of a watched pot never boils thing...
mandasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 10:15 PM   #14
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by karabeth05 View Post
The baby is going to be moving into her old room (with the crib) and moving into DS's room so soon was her idea because she wanted to pick out her sheets (I was kind of hoping the playing thing might stop then). I just wouldn't see the point in moving her back if I'm not going to try and break her of the playing habit.
No. You are right. If she's not going to have her own room forever, I'd just let her be. Your poor son has to deal with it though.

I had to listen to my brother sing "Yellow Submarine" every night for years. I survived.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:16 PM   #15
MCR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My 6 year old still does this, she's usually quiet, (I say usually cause tonight she started barking to get my attention ) and has her own room, so no one to disturb. But I can hear her talking quietly to her teddies. If she gets loud I will go in and tell her to go to sleep. I find her lying in the most uncomfortable positions, like she fell asleep mid doing something. Then I put her in the bed straight and she sleeps though the night fine.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:17 PM   #16
ho11yb
Registered Users
seller

I actually read once that often kids & babies need that time to babble, talk, play, standing, sitting, etc to generally decompress before going to sleep. DS often plays in his crib kicking his feet, kicking at stuff, rolling every which way, chattering, etc. It frequently takes 20-30 minutes beforenhe really settles in to sleep. But as long as he isn't upset and crying I leave him be

Blame the typos on the iPad!
ho11yb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 10:52 PM   #17
karabeth05
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapethevillage View Post
No. You are right. If she's not going to have her own room forever, I'd just let her be. Your poor son has to deal with it though.

I had to listen to my brother sing "Yellow Submarine" every night for years. I survived.

Luckily she's (mostly) quiet. She did go through a phase where she thought it was fun to kick the wall but that was when she was still in the crib...I guess the full-size bed gives her plenty of space to roll around without having to do that. But I would definitely go in and remind her to shush if she does get noisy. They have a classical music cd that plays for about 45mins or so, so hopefully DS conks out during that time

have you seen the One Happy Baby Diaper Pattern?
karabeth05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 10:55 PM   #18
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DS1 and DS2 share a room.. heck, they share a queen size bed. Anyway.. frequently my 3 yr old isn't ready to go to sleep. My rule he can have a few quiet toys or a book in bed with him. As long as he is not disturbing his brother, I let him play quietly IN BED until he falls asleep.

You can't really force someone to go to sleep.. so why fight it? Pick your battles.

God bless!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 11:03 PM   #19
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

A half hour doesn't sound extreme, but if she's regularly playing in there for an hour or more, she probably isn't ready for bed yet. You said you had tried taking away naps and that didn't help -- what about making them shorter? Have you tried melatonin? Maybe she's not burning enough energy during the day. Again, I do agree that some time to fall asleep is no big deal. I read somewhere that most people need 15-30 minutes to unwind and fall asleep, so I don't think it's a big deal if she's taking a half hour. But, like I said, if she's regularly taking an hour or more, most likely something should be done.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 05:17 AM   #20
swingkid1975
Registered Users

I say as long as she is eventually falling asleep on her own, let her be.

There are many days where I put DD down for a nap and she'll play and talk for close to 2 hours before she falls asleep. I don't even know what she's doing since the only things in her crib are a baby doll and a stuffed Pooh bear.