Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 06-22-2011, 01:22 AM   #1
Registered Users
Help!! Is it Gas?

So... for a few hours each night... my baby(4 weeks old) is squirmy(kicking lags out) and grunting. Usually this leads to crying if I don't pick him up. I am wondering if this is just gas or if this could be a food allergy. Can someone tell me what steps I should be taking to help both of us sleep a little better?

Mom to Isaac born 5-24-11 and Leah 2-19-13
Sarahknavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 08:54 AM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
You're in that prime fussiness stage I have always called he "witching hours". I think it peaks around 6 weeks. We would have nursing marathons from 6-10pm or so. He would nurse for 30 min off for 30 nurse for an hour off for 15 nurse again and so on. An allergy would show up in the stools. You could try and cut out a few things to see if it helps the fussiness but it may be nothing you ate and baby just getting used to life on the outside. Hang in there! My ds is about 12 weeks and honestly that time already seems so distant!
Caroline-happily married to Keith since 4/27/02; momma to D (5/10/05), M (2/10/07) and S (3/25/11)
carolineb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:27 PM   #3
Registered Users
Re: Help!! Is it Gas?

My DD did that every night from 9 - 10 PM. We finally started putting her to bed before 8:30. She woke up earlier for her nighttime feeding, but no more screaming baby. She still goes to bed at 8:30 and she's almost 6 months old.

Some nights this didn't work. Sometimes she was just fussy. We did try gas drops, but never saw much of a difference.
Lisa- wife to High School Sweetheart Vincent- DD Natalie Elizabeth 12/27/10
lisacolotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:40 PM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Help!! Is it Gas?

Yep...sounds normal. It could be a little gas and maybe those anti-gas drops will be helpful. Bicycle legs is helpful, too, sometimes (lay baby on back and gently "pump" his/her legs as if he/she was riding a bike). Unfortunately, babies' systems at this age are just very immature and they tend to let you know Honestly, the only thing that saved my sanity during those fussy evenings was to remind myself that I had done all that I could (change diaper, fed, burped, gas drops, etc.) and what my baby needed most was my patience. Just remember that it is entirely normal and it is TEMPORARY - YAY!!!! Good luck and God bless!
ks20740 is offline   Reply With Quote