Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-17-2011, 11:34 PM   #1
frenchyloveslarry
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Do you HAVE to do the glucose screening?

I went to dr. today for the glucose screening im 25 weeks not because my dr.s concerned or anything just cause he does it as a precaution I guess. I didnt have anything to eat from 12 midnight and got to his office 9am and his medical assistant could not draw blood from me for the life of her you can tell she just sucks at it lol So they sent me to the lab well there was a 2 hour waiting at the lab and they said I had to wait there the entire 2 hours I could not leave. I decided to just go home cause I was starving and I also had my 2 year old with me. I really don't wanna go back Ill have to take time off work to go and on my days off I dont have a babysitter. Is it really important for me to take the test? Im 24 years old, Diabetes does not run in my immediate family and Ive never had it with my 2 previous pregnancies. I have not gained an excessive amount of weight and to begin with Im not over weight. WWYD?

Advertisement

Old 06-17-2011, 11:43 PM   #2
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Re: Do you HAVE to do the glucose screening?

Over here, they make you do it and we can't eat, we have to fast before this 1 hour test.
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 12:51 AM   #3
MeCo7707
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Technically they can't MAKE you take the test - but some docs will make you "high risk" automatically if you don't. Some ob's are ridiculous and I have to take it 3 different times.... However I know people who have not taken the test and have not been marked as high risk - their doc was just a bit annoyed with them for a few days
Old 06-18-2011, 03:26 AM   #4
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
I used to skip it....

I am thin. Have no risk factors and am now pregnant with number 7 and was diagnosed at 13 weeks. Weight is not a factor with GD. Its all hormones. Of course of you are overweight you are predisposed to any type of diabetes but GD can happen to anyone. I never thought I would have it. The majority of women I know that have had it were thin, healthy and ate good.

So....i do think its important. Not fun but worth it I think. Some docs will make you high risk if you dont take the test. Mine didnt in the past for me. I would ask your doc what his protocol is.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 04:48 AM   #5
tygr2410
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I was the same as you, 25 no risk, 2 previous pregnancy...and had GD with my 3rd.

But no , they can't make you
Old 06-18-2011, 05:25 AM   #6
nannabean
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
No, you don't have to. I'm not taking it, but they are going to do some sort of 2 hour post meal, non-prenatal type of test instead. I've heard other women monitor their own at home for a couple of weeks instead of the fasting then drinking syrup method. You might want to check out your options.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:33 AM   #7
veveland
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I agree with the other ladies. You NEED to have some type of testing. They might let you monitor at home for a period of time instead of the sugar drink. I would ask and see. Unfortunately, although some people are more at risk for GD, it can affect anyone, after any number of pregnancies. If you do have it, and it goes undiagnosed and treated, it can create a lot of health risks for you and baby. That's why if you don't get any testing, you might automatically get labeled high risk.

I would call your doc's office and explain the situation. I know some people are able to do the drink at home and just go in for the blood draw, or just monitor at home. They likely have other options available, but may not be as convenient for them, so they don't advertise them.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:41 AM   #8
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I declined mine. they cant make you take any of the tests if you dont want to.
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 05:53 AM   #9
newtodiaper78
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had this conversation with my OB not too long ago. She said that I don't HAVE to take it but it's recommended. It's usually done as a safety precaution. If you don't want to do it, you have to tell your doctor and they would probably put it in your medical record as you declined the test.

I guess I'm torn on this topic, since the 3 hours test diagnosed me with GD. But when I monitor daily, my numbers are fine. I guess it's good just to be safe, but ultimately it is your choice.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:35 AM   #10
malaynasmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No you don't have to take it. Like pp have said you can decline any testing you want to
I didnt have the glucose screening with my last pregnancy and wont have it with this one.