Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-18-2011, 10:44 AM   #11
lovemysam
Registered Users

You can opt out of the test, though like a PP said, it's not really based on weight whether or not you will get it, and undiagnosed gd can result in a very large baby (and strong possibility for needing a Caesarian), or worse-gd correlates with an increased risk of babies being stillborn. I'm sure the risk is still minute, but nothing I'd want to chance!

Advertisement

lovemysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 11:04 AM   #12
USMCgirl_05
Banned

My Mood:
Re: Do you HAVE to do the glucose screening?

Ask if you can do the 1 hour test instead! I didn't have to fast before mine, just ate bkfast went in and waited one hour for the blood draw. I brought my kids stuff to play with and it really wasn't bad at all
USMCgirl_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 11:14 AM   #13
crunch!910
Registered Users

You do not have to take it. They cannot force you.

I did have the screening with my first. I was going to refuse it, but then I just decided to get it over with. I knew if I took it and it came back negative, that it just meant for any future pregnancies I'd decline testing knowing that I wasn't the first time.

I will not test for it in future pregnancies unless it becomes a concern. And I highly doubt it will, because I am going to be watching my diet like a hawk to try and keep baby on the smaller side considering my first child was 9 lb 13 oz and I want to try for a VBAC next time. The midwife I plan to use does not test for it unless you request it anyway.

ETA: I also agree that if you do decide to do it, ask for the 1 hr. There's no reason you should be forced to do the 3 hr.

Also, consider testing at home! I can't imagine putting all that glucose in your body is healthy for baby (part of the reason I'll be refusing the test for next time). Kind of like a shock to the system, right? But testing at home doing nothing but eating normal meals and monitoring your blood sugar is just as effective and not as inconvenient and with no risk to baby.

Last edited by crunch!910; 06-18-2011 at 11:16 AM.
crunch!910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 01:14 PM   #14
cedricsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunch!910 View Post
You do not have to take it. They cannot force you.

I did have the screening with my first. I was going to refuse it, but then I just decided to get it over with. I knew if I took it and it came back negative, that it just meant for any future pregnancies I'd decline testing knowing that I wasn't the first time.

I will not test for it in future pregnancies unless it becomes a concern. And I highly doubt it will, because I am going to be watching my diet like a hawk to try and keep baby on the smaller side considering my first child was 9 lb 13 oz and I want to try for a VBAC next time. The midwife I plan to use does not test for it unless you request it anyway.

ETA: I also agree that if you do decide to do it, ask for the 1 hr. There's no reason you should be forced to do the 3 hr.

Also, consider testing at home! I can't imagine putting all that glucose in your body is healthy for baby (part of the reason I'll be refusing the test for next time). Kind of like a shock to the system, right? But testing at home doing nothing but eating normal meals and monitoring your blood sugar is just as effective and not as inconvenient and with no risk to baby.

The size of the baby you had your first time could actualy be an indicator for gd. There is no other test than a glucose tolerance test to determine if a mother has gd and it might have nothing to do with what you eat. It has to do with the pregnancy hormones and the bodies inability to produce insulin. It is also not that much carbs and sugar you put in your body, a plate of pasta with sauce contains far more carbs than that drink. What is tested is is how the body breaks down carbs and sugar over a certain amount of time. It is very important for baby and mothers health that the body is able to produce insulin, if the bloodsugar numbers are still high one hour, two hours after a meal it shows that the body does not produce insulin. The babies pancreas will start producing it and it should not at this point. Honestly, unless you have informed yourself about the consequences of undiagnosed dibetes in pregnancy you should not tell people to deny the test or deny it yourself. Specialy when you hope for a VBAC and a healthy and natural birth.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:11 PM   #15
Ten
Registered Users

My Mood:

They can't MAKE you do anything, although considering how much it can adversely impact both your health and the baby's, I think this one falls under the category of "better safe than sorry."

Instead of the sugar-bomb test, I talked with my MW and she let me test at home 4xday (first thing in the morning, then 1 hour after breakfast, lunch, and dinner) and said if my fasting number stayed below 90 and my 1-hour numbers were under 140, I was good. I think she would've preferred I do the standard test "because it challenges the system" - but I think my way is more representative of how my body's doing on a daily basis.

*TTC a sticky baby since Jan '15. Hoping DD1 returns to us!*
"Death can't stop True Love - it can only delay it for a while." - The Princess Bride
Ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 10:21 PM   #16
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I did not take the test, for multiple reasons. There is a huge dietary factor in GD; next pregnancy I will also decline but keep my current low-grain/ high fat diet as extra precaution against it.
Old 06-18-2011, 11:52 PM   #17
jackyl08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCgirl_05 View Post
Ask if you can do the 1 hour test instead! I didn't have to fast before mine, just ate bkfast went in and waited one hour for the blood draw. I brought my kids stuff to play with and it really wasn't bad at all
This is what I did! I drank the stuff(which I did not find that bad, honestly), noted the time and made sure I was at the lab 30 minutes after that. Then 30 minutes after I arrived, they drew my blood and done! I also did not have to fast before the test.

Oh, I am overweight and passed with flying colors. I did with DD, too. I am a big girl and had a teeny little 7lb baby.

This is one of those better safe than sorry situations. There is really no way someone can just "know" they don't have GD. It can also change from pregnancy to pregnancy, so "I didn't have it with the last one, so I won't with this one" doesn't really make sense.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:00 AM   #18
Agla
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think you can decline. The one hour seemed way simpler than what you described.

I would not choose to decline now that I'm dealing with what is probably gd.

Earn easy Amazon GCs with Perk TV
Soft Star shoes are awesome. Buy them here.
Agla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 06:30 AM   #19
cedricsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516 View Post
I did not take the test, for multiple reasons. There is a huge dietary factor in GD; next pregnancy I will also decline but keep my current low-grain/ high fat diet as extra precaution against it.
This is just not true, people with a very healthy, low carb diet can face gd. It is caused by the pregnancy hormones, they make some bodies unable to produce insulin. You can also not say in general how many carbs/ fat someone pregnant will need to balance gd, it depends on weight, age, gestation etc.
And not everybody that is overweight and does not have a perfect diet will have gd, again, gd is caused by the bodies inability to produce insulin due to pregnancy hormones. That is also why not everybody will be able to control it through diet.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:41 AM   #20
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedricsmom View Post
This is just not true, people with a very healthy, low carb diet can face gd. It is caused by the pregnancy hormones, they make some bodies unable to produce insulin. You can also not say in general how many carbs/ fat someone pregnant will need to balance gd, it depends on weight, age, gestation etc.
And not everybody that is overweight and does not have a perfect diet will have gd, again, gd is caused by the bodies inability to produce insulin due to pregnancy hormones. That is also why not everybody will be able to control it through diet.

There is a dietary factor GD. I didn't say that it is the onnly factor, but if you don't believe me, why does having GD put you at a much higher risk for developing type 2 diabetes later in life? Type 2 diabetes is primarily a disease of diet and lifestyle. GD is similar in that most people can control it through diet. Not that I think the diet advice that women are given is worth Anything, but for Myself ; I am confident that my diet an exercise will keep me from ever having to worry about either type of diabetes.