Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-19-2011, 06:55 PM   #21
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Do you HAVE to do the glucose screening?

I had to fast for my 1 hour too. Although no one bothered to tell me. So I ate a pop tart, went in, and failed it. Passed the 3 hour though. I'm testing at home this time.

Advertisement

Old 06-19-2011, 07:10 PM   #22
BabyBoyAce
Registered Users

I actually didn't have to fast with my glucose test. Most people I knew had to so I even called to confirm a few days before my appt. and they said I didn't have to.
BabyBoyAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:38 PM   #23
Sha-nanagins
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchyloveslarry View Post
Is it really important for me to take the test? Im 24 years old, Diabetes does not run in my immediate family and Ive never had it with my 2 previous pregnancies. I have not gained an excessive amount of weight and to begin with Im not over weight. WWYD?
I refused the test when pregnant with DS2. Basically, they make you chug the equivalent of a 20oz coke on an empty stomach. Just sipping a sugar-sweetened soda makes me nauseous unless I'm eating a full meal (and I only opt for the soda then if I'm really thirsty and there isn't another option). I also didn't eat sweets often. When your body is not used to that much sugar, to take in so much so fast can make you sick to your stomach as well as give a false-positive on the test. I also would not feed my baby (indirectly) that much sugar, ever!

I reviewed all the risk factors, and the only one that applied to me was age. I discussed it with my doc and explained how I felt. She pointed out that this is one reason they do the urine test every time you come into the office - it detects sugar in the urine, a sign that you may be developing gestational diabetes. She agreed that, given my eating habits and lack of risk factors, she was comfortable with me skipping the test.

Check with your doctor. If he/she knows you understand the risks and are being careful with your diet, it may be no big deal if you skip it. Another option, as a previous poster mentioned, may be to monitor your blood sugar for a day or two using the finger-stick testers that diabetics use.
Sha-nanagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:14 PM   #24
GreysBumatomy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Sugar appears in urine when your BG is over 300, which is crazy severe GD.

I was low risk across the board and ended up having GD. Personally, Id rather know than not know. Its an annoying test, but to be able to know if i had GD and avoid the risks to the baby that occur with untreated GD, its worth it to me. Luckily, I have been able to control my sugars with dieting alone.

And eating a balanced reasonable diet never hurt anyone. I'm just sayin.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:22 PM   #25
USMCgirl_05
Banned

My Mood:

I have two friends who have the craziest healthy diet/lifestyles EVER and both had GD...that argument really doesn't hold up.

And there are plenty of women who are overweight and eating fast food and drinking soda all day long who don't end up with GD!
USMCgirl_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:08 PM   #26
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Over 95 percent of women with GD will never spill sugar into urine. Once sugar spills into urine blood sugar levels are insanely high and dangerous. Waiting for sugar in urine to diagnose GD is very dangerous. The rate of stil birth in untreated GD after 36 weeks Is just to risky for me. I will get the rates. Its just not worth it
IMO. I eat very healthy. Never eat fast food, dont drink soda and I am average weight. Never had a large baby and am still young and have GD.

The one hour test is a screen. If you fail that you take the three hour. If your doc jumps to the three hour ask why. It may be because you had borderlime sugars in an earlier prenatal blood test.

Last edited by ktmelody; 06-19-2011 at 09:23 PM.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:19 PM   #27
MyLovely
Registered Users

No, you don't have to do anything...you don't sign over your rights when you become pregnant

If you don't want to get the test, don't. I'm not big on routine testing so I probably won't get anything beyond a 20 week anatomy scan unless something seems off.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:52 AM   #28
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedricsmom View Post
This is just not true, people with a very healthy, low carb diet can face gd. It is caused by the pregnancy hormones, they make some bodies unable to produce insulin. You can also not say in general how many carbs/ fat someone pregnant will need to balance gd, it depends on weight, age, gestation etc.
Yep. I even THINK about toast and my numbers are high. Even paired with an unnatural amount of protein.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha-nanagins View Post
She pointed out that this is one reason they do the urine test every time you come into the office - it detects sugar in the urine, a sign that you may be developing gestational diabetes.
Like a PP mentioned, if you are peeing sugar, you are way high, and have been for some time. Like, coma high.

I have a family history of regular diabetes, and have been trying to avoid it. So I like to think my diet is balanced, mostly plants etc. I didn't have GD with #1, but now do with #2.

It's such an easy test in the grand scheme of things. I would hate for the first time I find out I had GD was when they had to take my newborn to be hooked up to sugar IVs because his blood sugar was crashing
Old 06-20-2011, 11:22 AM   #29
MinkaK
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

While you don't have to do it, I would absolutely recommend you do some type of testing. With my first pregnancy I had none of the risks for it, exercised daily, ate a healthy diet and had GD. I am now currently on my third pregnancy with GD. This is something that ONLY affects me when pregnant, when not pregnant I test and my sugars are perfect. For some people it may be diet related but for others it isn't and GD isn't something I would mess with.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:24 PM   #30
ExpatMama1990
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
My MW just monitored me and said if I started showing any signs we would try to manage it and if all else failed we could do the test later and figure out a solution.